Low Rider Dual Endstop Firmware

Hello forum,

i built myself a LowRider2 & am mostly finished. I now have a problem with the dual Endstop firmware. I am using a RAMPs 1.4 Board.
I want to be able to drive & home the two Z-Steppers independently via the dual endstop firmware, however it is configured to have two X-Steppers (because it’s written for the MPCNC obviously).

So basically, I would like to change the E0 stepper driver from X-axis to Z-Axis.

[attachment file=106826]

I guess the Firmware then needs reconfiguring Pins for Z-Endstops aswell?

thanks for your time and expertise

1 Like

If you just want dual Z motors, that is very easy. The settings are in Configuration_adv.h. Starting with the mpcnc dual endstop firmware and disabling the dual endstops, then swapping dual X motors for dual Z motors will get you there.

To enable dual endstops in X is also pretty easy. It’s right in that same section on Configuration_adv.h.

Dual Z endstops is harder. Since the LR sits in its min it’s not good to have it sit on switches. You also have pretty good hard endstops. Hard endstops on a 5 ft lever arm is pretty darn square and repeatable if you ask me.

If you want to home to Zmax, then you can, but you need to set the home dir to +1, Set the Z2 endstop to the Ymax, and then plug your endstops into Zmax and Ymax.

2 Likes

And don’t forget to set your bed size. The dual endstop firmware has soft stops enabled.

Thanks for telling me where to look! I still don’t really understand the code, but I somehow got it to work the way I wanted :slight_smile: thanks

High five!

If you want to home to Zmax, then you can, but you need to set the home dir to +1, Set the Z2 endstop to the Ymax, and then plug your endstops into Zmax and Ymax.
[/quote]

I’m working on the same thing with a Rambo 1.4 board. Where in the firmware is the “home dir” for z axis. The only instance I can find refers to the dual x carriage

Sorry I realize that’s in the configuration.h section now

Hello, Im doing the same machine, the lowrider 2 with dual endstops. I want the same firmware than you. Can you tell me how did you do? Or wich firmware I can download? Im to basic with programation.
Thanks!!

Hey there,
I used the Dual Endstop Firmware, which can be found here: https://github.com/Allted/Marlin.

The “problem” with this firmware is, it’s made for the MPCNC & not the Lowrider. You have to look in the “Configuration_adv.h” file, locatet in the marlin folder. There look for “Dual Steppers / Dual Endstops”, and change the stuff that say X to Z. I’m also not really understanding the code, but it works. I can send you my full firmware if you’re interested

1 Like

Great!!
Thanks for the quick reply, it would be great if you give me the firmware because I am using exactly the same as you. Ramps 1.4 and I want the dual endstop in Y and Z.
My email is juanandrescarri@gmail.com if you want to send me by mail
or whatever you want. Thank you again.

I uploaded it to a fileshare. Here is the link (and also to anyone who is interested in the future)
http://ubydulla.square7.ch/Stuff/Marlin-MPCNC_Ramps_DualEndstops_Ubydulla.zip
Keep in mind, this firmware is specific to my CNC, so you definitely need to change the size & speed!
I hope you can work from there

Thank you so much, yes, i will change the speeds and size. It will be very usefull see your configuration!!
The last question, did you print your own endstops holders? Im drawing some ones that I want to put in the Y plate for the endstop of the Z axis. But maybe another idea for the Z endstop holder would help me.

No, i screwed the switches directly to the Y-Plate & put a Screw in the plastic parts above, that i could adjust to set the height. I used switches like in the picture below

I actually don’t own the LowRider anymore, so i sadly can not provide any pictures of it in place

1 Like

This information is very useful to me, I thought to do the same. One more question,
When connecting the endstop to the ramps, the X endstop must be connected to X1, the Y endstop to the Y1 Y2 and the Z endstop to Z1 Z2, right? I know it seems like a stupid question but since the original firmware of mpcnc is for X and Y I’m just asking.
Thanks again!!

Well, yes, but they are labeled X Y Z E0 E1, on the board. I don’t remember if E0 or E1 was Z or Y. I found out trough trial & error, which of the upper two stepper-driver does what :sweat_smile:

Also, here is an old picture that I found. If you zoom in, you can see the endswitch on the left Y Plate & the Screw i talked about on the right side
http://ubydulla.square7.ch/Bilder/20190809_140938.jpg

1 Like

Spectacular, and on top you can see how you put some side wheels because of the flexion due to the weight of the car that makes the wheels tilt. Thanks for all the information.
I’m sure I will bother you with something else at some point.