LowRider 2 - Long time coming - (Australia)

recognizable! :smiley:

Very impressive and clean ! I would hardly dare to use this table, because it looks that beautiful!

5 Likes

I lied about not getting back to it for a day or twoā€¦ :smiley:

One of the z rollers is a bit too tight, possibly because of a slight error in the bolt centres on the plate - Iā€™ll get back to that once I know I can get other things working.

Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m a bit out of sequence here, but it just seemed like the simplest way for me to get a handle on the electrical bits - I can see if the stepper motors work without having things move around the place. Have I mentioned Iā€™m a bit scared of the next bit?

Thank you all for standing by.

7 Likes

I am wading through the wiring stuff for my Rambo 1.4, trying to remember all of the bits Iā€™ve read and re-read and have a little bell ringing in the back of my brain.

I ordered Dual End Stops with the kit intending to fit them at some later stage once I was comfortable with everything. I presume that means the board has been flashed by Ryan @vicious1 to suit - does that mean they must be installed from the outset, or can I proceed without them?

Having got this far Iā€™m worrying that simplifying the setup by eliminating them will complicate things! :grimacing:

You can skip the endstops. Just donā€™t home the machine.

AFAIK, Ryan doesnā€™t flash the dual low rider firmware in the shop. You can check with M115. There will be a number like v510S. S means serial. D is dual for mpcnc. DL is dual for low rider. My guess is you have v510D.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeff - just when Iā€™ve spent a night not sleeping on it too! :smiley: I completely understood the first line, then things got tricky! Just to show that I am not asking questions without first looking for the answers elsewhere, I now know that M115 is the Marlin build!

The next step is one that Iā€™ve been putting off of course - Iā€™m going to have to figure out Repetier. That will be trickier than you can imagine for a number of reasons - Iā€™ll report back in a few days! :smiley:

1 Like

In the spirit of documenting the whole build and risking a lot of eyes glazing over, I spent a bit of time yesterday not downloading Repetier. Iā€™m p;retty gunshy about a bit of kit which on in the same sentence refers to ā€œthe latest stable releaseā€ and ā€œthe NEW Mountain Lion OSā€ - NEW here referring to a nine year old release! :dizzy_face: Mac Users please feel free to step in here to save me!

I did tidy up the wiring (just taped it loosely to make it more manageable), bought a new ā€œtoaster leadā€ so I could plug in the power pack, got everything powered up and with rising confidence completely failed to find any of the steppers on the screen.

I will make a slight adjustment to the case around the control knob today - being able to move it might make a difference. :slight_smile:

On a serious note - that label on the the left hand side of the knob - ā€œRemove seal after washingā€ - I presume since I donā€™t intend to wash anything itā€™s OK to remove? Or is ā€œwashingā€ some sort of fancy electrical term?

This seriously did my head in. Iā€™ve mentioned before that I know almost nothing about this stuff. I am quite anxious not to make a mistake and although my profile says Iā€™ve spent a day reading these forums, the real number is more like MONTHS if counting the time lurking not logged in.

Therefore, Iā€™m inclined to check first - move later. NOTE - Iā€™ve tested my machine and have movement to all steppers - IT LIVES! :smiley: So the following question is for my education only.

After Iā€™d figured it out, I still donā€™t quite get why it works, so if someone can explain in words of single syllables Iā€™d appreciate it. Something like ā€œyou are wrongā€ would be reassuring. :smiley:

Here is the wiring diagram from Wiring The Steppers - V1 Engineering Documentation with the supplied loom. Note the hand drawn sketch on the instruction page matches this diagram, but the photo there (which was my clue) has the ā€œWinding 2ā€ connections reversed. I had tried all manner of flipping plugs and so on, but hadnā€™t consider the two windings as separate entities. Once I got my head around the reversal of the second winding wire I could see that there was at least continuity there, but how does that work if the current is flowing in reverse, and is the drawing still correct?

Thanks

Stepper motors are funny. The drivers are constantly switching which direction the current goes to push or pull it to make it spin.

Reversing a single coil makes it go the other way. Both ways are correct, but it reverses direction of the shaft.

Swapping the coils also reverses the direction.

Here is the fun part. Taking wires 1234 and making them 4321 also reverses it. Because each of these steps reverse the direction:

Three reverses is one reverse.

So wire it either way. If one of the motors is going the wrong way, reverse the plug. If they both are, reverse the plug at the driver.

Just donā€™t mix the coils. 1324 doesnā€™t work.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeff, now thatā€™s about as clear as mud! :smiley: I get it, but hope thereā€™s no exam later.

One of the things that seems to take a bit of finding is the correct connections to the LCD screen. Iā€™ve posted this pic on another thread today but am burying it here in case anyone with a ā€œblank LCDā€ stumbles across it in future.

While Iā€™m here - why does everyone seem to keep that power adapter rather than snipping it off and hard wiring it in? Iā€™ve made the little jumper for now, but thatā€™s one thing on a growing list of changes to be made.

Some people have complained about those being dongles not working. The advice around here is to cut them off.

2 Likes

I think thatā€™s a great idea, two fewer connections to come loose. Itā€™s on my list.

1 Like

Iā€™ve pretty much spent the whole day peering through the understandascope.

I now have - Repetier working on the Mac, but canā€™t find any of my USB C to A adaptors which means I canā€™t plug in the cord from Powerbook to Rambo. I have a sneaking suspicion that they are all on the boat, which has been locked in a shed in Belgium for a couple of years, and since we have been locked in Aus for a similar time, I think Iā€™d better buy some more! Doh!

I have Kiri-Moto working too. Itā€™s not Estl-cam I know and that will put me behind the 8 ball when the inevitable questions arise, but I could buy some commercial software for the price of Windows and an emulator (which I am quite tempted to do). For now this all seems to work in theory anyway.

I donā€™t have any belts on the machine - but all the steppers work and I think they are even in synch and moving in the right direction.

Iā€™m just enjoying fiddling at the moment, so donā€™t expect a crown any time soon, but anything can happen.

What happens to the power cables (spindle and board) - do they just hang in a bit of a loop below the table?

Finally - I have the LCD in Ryansā€™s @vicious1 case, it did take a little bit of fettling round the knob to get proper clearance, but itā€™s a lovely bit of design-for-purpose.

2 Likes

I not only kept the power adapter plug but am glad I did. I made a remix of the 3D-printed case that was suggested here on the site (for the type of board I have, a BigTreeTech SKR Pro 1.2 with a touchscreen that is a BigTreeTech TFT3.5 E3) and one of my mods in the remix was to make a little ā€œsledā€ inside the case for holding the bit that takes the power adapter barrel on one side and takes 2 raw wires screwed down on the other side. That sled holds the piece facing a hole that lets me plug / unplug the unit to power it. Because the power cord is (not far from there) zip tied to the setup, when I need to power on the unit I grab the dangling cord and plug it in. I was in a hurry to get mine built and get a job done, and so, short of installing a switch, this gives me a handy way to on/off the thing.

1 Like

Thanks for that, I did briefly consider doing something similar, and one day I might, but for now Iā€™m trying to keep the whole setup ā€œstockā€ or as near to it as my ever fidgiting brain will allow! There are a lot of details coming up that will stop me from getting it working if I spend any time thinking about them, so I have to keep my eye on the end game!

What is your table surface? Presumably you are using it for cutting vinyl?

Re. Stock

My kit is all stock. The BTT SKR and BTT TFT are a kit choice on the V1 order page (instead of RAMBO). Regardless of what board and touchscreen you have, you will want a case in place to put them in.

Re. Table

I had had to build my table out of OSB. Above that is a spoil-board of MDF, and above that is half-inch sheet of HDPE black plastic that is ready to be cut for a job.

1 Like

Iā€™m hampered at the moment by a bit of a heavy sinus infection which seems to have turned my brain to mush, so instead of cracking on with a few projects Iā€™m trying to think a bit ahead here.

I havenā€™t really considered what spindle options I have in the long term - I have a Ryobi 400w trim router, which buzzes happily at 29000 rpm apparently, and I was going to use that as a proof of concept sort of thing. I know there are many other builds that have used similar quite successfully, but from the little knowledge I have retained on this subject that might be a bit speedy for many uses.

My observation is that the Makita 710 seems to be the new default in places where the De Walt is not available, so Iā€™m very inclined just to spend ANOTHER $290 and build that in from the start.

OR for a similar amount of money, should I just ā€œinvestā€ in a 400w spindle with 3-13000 rpm electronic controls, proper collets etc etc.

Yep, you are all going to ask ā€œWhat do you want to do with itā€, and Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m going to reply that I have no clue - learning the CNC process is the next step!

If I could conduct a poll I would: Ryobi 400W (free), Makita (700w router) or Spindle 400w?

I have the Makita, and it has a knob that permits variable speed control. Seems to be working great.

Variable speed is pretty important. Whether itā€™s manually done like the knob on my Makita, or controlled by software, either way, you really will want variable speed.

2 Likes

Sorry about your sinus issue. Will pray for you.

Also, quick heads up, regarding the pen holder. I liked my first remix, howeverā€¦

1. It protruded too far out in front of the router plate.
  2. Something bumped it (see #1), and it broke.

So I designed a new version, which mounts the pen/knife tool closer to the router plate.

Hereā€™s the link to the new design:

2 Likes

After a few days of staring at the ceiling - head too unclear to work with either woodworking machinery or things that might go zap, I decided to fix a problem that doesnā€™t exist.

Iā€™ve never liked the lack of strain relief on stepper wires. This may not cause an issue at all, but it just looks as though it will, and I find that little bit of naked wire between loom and stepper oh so jarring! :wink: So I drew a solution to allow cable covers to tie more securely, which looked so similar to this one: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3650033 , that in the end I just re-drew it a lot lighter as a bit of a printing challenge. (will eventually upload the STL in case thereā€™s another print masochist in the world).

So here we are - 1mm wall thickness, PETG, 0.2mm layers, .4mm nozzle - drawn with zero tolerance between the two parts. Now Iā€™m wondering what I could do with .05mm layers and a .25 nozzleā€¦ hmmm.

I donā€™t expect that heat will be an issue, but if it is, the melting PLA bits the motors are mounted to should warn me in plenty of advance warning. (Serious thoughts on that would be welcome.)

2 Likes

I love the way every day on this forum someone just bobs up with a first post showing their complete build and a bunch of things theyā€™ve made. I am not one of those people.

Todayā€™s angst is brought to you by - ā€œletā€™s reinvent how to mount the boardā€.

I like Ryanā€™s @vicious1 Gnarly case, and Iā€™ve already posted pics of the lcd case, and all it should have taken was a bit of timber packing a few screws and it should have been mounted. I also think the ā€œwingsā€ of those end plates on the LR2 pretty much defines the design, and think itā€™s a pity to cover them up with random boxes. Therefore in the spirit of ā€œIā€™m not going to reinvent the wheel, or overthink thisā€, hereā€™s my new wheel.

I redrew Ryanā€™s clip for the LCD screen, and used two trussed standoffs angled to match the sides of the case. Access for the USB point will be under the lid of the case. Itā€™s a prototype, but itā€™ll probably be there for a while.

8 Likes