LowRider 3 CNC - control box case for BTT SKR Pro 1.2 board and a BTT TFT35 E3 touchscreen (v1.2)

Doug, thanks so much for the time you’ve put into this! I went to print it and had the unfortunate realization that it is too tall for my Prusa Mini. Would it be possible to have a no-fan version? It needs to be no taller than 180mm to work, and it appears that losing the fans would give it enough room.

1 Like

@mikekellyio

There is actually 35mm of clearance inside the case to play with. There’s 26.1 mm between the fans and the SKR board, and 8.9 mm of clearance between the far edge of the SKR board and the end of the case (on the side away from the fans). I think I could get your shorter design without getting rid of the fans, and if it turned out to be too tight, you could simply leave out the fans but still have the holes. See screen shots for clearances I mean.

@mikekellyio

Here is a screen shot of a shortened version of the base. Between the fans and the SKR board, instead of 26.1 mm, there is 13.5 mm, and in between the end of the SKR and end of the case, instead of 8.9 mm of clearance, there is 4 mm of clearance. This gets total length to 180mm. Think this will work?

That’s precisely the max build height, so sounds like it! I can throw it in the slicer to make sure that doesn’t complain first, then can attempt a print. Out of curiosity, what size screws are you using for it?

I think the screw sizes are explained in the v1.2 listing, or maybe the parent of that remix. Check the description here: Printables

OK, I have published the new remix with the shorter base and lid!
https://www.printables.com/model/270280-lowrider-3-cnc-control-box-case-for-btt-skr-pro-12

If you are minded to send me a tip (totally optional):
My PayPal tip jar: https://paypal.me/dougjoseph

Please report back if it works, and consider posting the “make” on Printables.

LowRider 3 CNC - control box case for BTT SKR Pro 1.2 board and a BTT TFT35 E3 touchscreen (v1.3.4) SHORTER VERSION (180mm) FOR SHORTER PRINTERS

2 Likes

I do not see the 1/4" strut version, did it not get remixed into shorter or just forget to zip it into the package?

Sometimes when someone comes to me, asking for a special remix to fit their case/scenario, and I comply and remix for them, I may fail to remix every single aspect. In this case (of the version for shorter printers), I did not do two bases. For what it’s worth, the one I show as “1/8 inch” has the same gap on the hanger as Ryan’s original, which was supposed to support either 1/8" or 1/4" — I personally had a challenge trying to get it slid onto 1/4" but it’s supposed to be doable. The remixes where I did two bases, had the one listed for 1/4" having a gap quite a bit wider than 1/4". If you are needing both the “one for shorter printers” and having it with a wider gap, I can try to get to that, but I’m very swamped at the moment so I would likely need a reminder after a few days!

No worries, just making sure I wasn’t overlooking something. I appreciate all you’ve done.

1 Like

Hi Doug!

Really like this box for a controller and the one with extra space for optional board like the raspberry!

Have a wish though, considering is quite a few out there who owns the Bigtreetech SKR v1.x variants.

Therefore wondering if possible you could add mounts so the SKR’s also will fit in this controlbox.

Here is the dimensions for those boards.

Best regards /JB

Will aim to try to help with the SKR 1.x boards…

LowRider 3 CNC - control box case for BTT SKR 1.4 Turbo board, Raspberry Pi 4b, and BTT TFT35 E3 touchscreen (v1.3.5)

“This remix was requested by Stefan Raatz , who desired a case for holding an SKR 1.4 Turbo (instead of SKR 1.2 Pro), as well as a Raspberry Pi 4 model B. I’m not aware of him having printed this remix yet, so consider it untested for now. UPDATE Sept 25, 2022: Stefan has printed it, and found a collision between the lid and the standoffs on the base for the SKR. I’m working with him to get a solution posted.

Just a quiet wonder about t his problem if it’s solved?

Thx in advance

Wow, I got busy and this slipped my mind. I will try to revisit it now.

UPDATE Nov 14, 2022: I finally remembered to edit the base and lid to address the collision with the standoffs that Stefan found. Uploaded new “v1.3.5b” of both base and lid.

https://www.printables.com/model/277219-lowrider-3-cnc-control-box-case-for-btt-skr-14-tur

Very nice! Big thx Doug!

1 Like

Hey, did you happen to find something I had already done that met this need, or do I still need to create something?

So, I just checked the dimensions you supplied, and compared to the board size in the remix you just replied about (LowRider 3 CNC - control box case for BTT SKR 1.4 Turbo board, Raspberry Pi 4b, and BTT TFT35 E3 touchscreen (v1.3.5b)), and it seems to match as the right size. So does that mean you are good with that one? I don’t still need to do another remix?

Yes the boardsize and the pinout for the Skr 1.x is the same. For now I can’t figure out anything that I have a need of, but things might change in the future.
I will certainly know when I’ve printed and tried it.
Thx for your help.

1 Like

Hi @DougJoseph

I still owe you an update, after months laying in a box, I managed to put this print together.
There are 2 things I noticed:

• I think in the description you mentioned M3´s, could be a print error on my side but the M3´s are a bit loose, so would suggest M4 (or glue in case of M3).
  • the allignment for the USB port is a bit off, at the bottom there´s more then enough space, but at the upper part it is tight, the same goes for the sides. See attached image (please do not mind the warped print, I installed a new base and I still have to dial in the printer).

1 Like

OK, thanks for the feedback on the port hole placement! Hopefully it’s usable without requiring surgery or a reprint!

I use M3 screws but I guess M4 could certainly work as well!

1 Like