LowRider 3 CNC - control box case for BTT SKR Pro 1.2 board and a BTT TFT35 (NON-E3) touchscreen (v1.3.1)

IMPORTANT REMINDER:

Mirror base and lid in your slicer if you plan to mount your box on the “left” (x-min) side of your LowRider v3 table. This version is designed for mounting on the “right” (x-max) side.

THIS IS FOR the NON-E3 touchscreen - BTT TFT35 v3x.
If you wanted the E3 version, click here.

Many thanks to @kockie-nl for collaboration on this, which increases options for other LowRider 3 makers everywhere. As the collaboration and testing indicates all is well, I have updated the listing on Printables to remove the “work in progress” tags and to finalize the listing as a usable set of parts. Also, @kockie-nl, I hope it’s OK that I used some of your latest pics to illustrate the TFT holder on the listing.

UPDATE July 7, 2022 - “Low Fat” Base option

What’s this “Low Fat” thing? This is my version of a brainchild of aaron GitHub on the V1 Engineering forum. It’s a more efficient version of the base with some “fat” trimmed off. It maintains thickness and strength where needed, but saves 33% of the plastic and shaves 25% off the print time. It also has a new version of hanging bracket, inspired by the work of Dan @SupraGuy on the V1 Engineering forum. This hanging bracket is split in two so it can accommodate your temporary struts while you’re starting out with your LowRider v3, and then graduate to your permanent struts once you get them cut and installed. I’m offering both the original base (v 1.2) and the new one (1.3.2) so you get to choose. And both are available for 1/8" thick struts or ¼" thick struts.

From Description on Printables

Note: in addition to this revision, there is another edition that accommodates “E3” TFTs (which have their knob and reset button located below the touchscreen instead of beside it). The latest E3 version has the added feature of being able to mount facing toward either X or Y. (Note: facing toward the X axis is the default LowRider 3 positioning, while facing toward Y is helpful for those who swap their X and Y axes, as I have done). Here is a link to the latest E3 version:

LowRider 3 CNC - control box case for BTT SKR Pro 1.2 board and a BTT TFT35 E3 touchscreen (v1.2)

This remix was requested by @kockie-nl on the V1 Engineering Forum, to accommodate a non-E3 version of BTT TFT35-v3x. The proper and perfected fitment of the various holes and ports was accomplished by collaboration with @kockie-nl, via feedback and helpful pics. Many corrective nudges were implemented.

If you print this please take a few pics and post your make on the Printables listing.

Some details on various revisions are explained on the forum.

Some pics of printed TFT holder courtesy of @kockie-nl.

This remix has changes to the TFT holder and Reset Button for only one purpose: so that a non-E3 version of the TFT can be mounted and used.

Other details remain pretty much the same, so below is a copy and paste from before, with minor tweaks:

Gorgeous printable case for your LowRider v3 CNC , if you’re using an SKR Pro 1.2 board and a BTT TFT35 touchscreen (options for both E3 and non-E3 are available).

Many thanks to Ryan at V1 Engineering for his design genius and gracious generosity in sharing his work with us all. For those whose LowRider v3 MPCNC has or will have a BTT SKR Pro 1.2 main board and a BTT TFT35 v3x touchscreen, I offer my remixes of Ryan’s blank control box case CAD file. This case may fit other SKR boards, depending on dimensions. Check before printing. It may also be remixed to suit other SKR boards.

Features:

• NEW (as of July 6, 2022): support for non-E3 TFTs (by using this edition)
  • In another edition (not this one): support for facing the TFT toward X axis or Y axis without having to reprint any additional parts.
  • Support for either 1/8" thick struts or ¼" thick struts. The original base has a “mounting” rail on the back that is sized for struts cut from 1/8" thick hardboard. What about those who cut their struts from ¼" plywood or ¼" hardboard? There is now an alternate base for that too.
  • Support for cooling fans — designed for two 40x40x10 fans. I use these quiet fans from Noctua: NF-A4x10 FLX, Premium Quiet Fan, 3-Pin (40x10mm, Brown)
  • Snap in place feature — this remix keeps the original screw hole from Ryan’s design, which allows the lid to be fastened in place on the base, but my design also includes a new snap in place feature. I love it, and have not bothered with a screw.
  • Access ports — for the SKR’s USB ports and mini-SD card slot, and for the TFT touchscreen’s SD card slot.
  • DC power connector port — the base has an internal “sled” to hold the female power connector, and one of the printable parts is a little bar to screw in and clamp the connector in place. My LowRider kit from V1 Engineering came with one of the connectors. If you need more, these are available on Amazon.
  • Ample room for wiring and power connections — with options for running wires in from below the board or above it. I recommend below, as it minimizes chances of something getting tugged loose while sliding the lid in or out. See video (above).

Details of my upgrade of a LowRider v2 to v3 are available here on the V1 forum.

Print and Assembly:

• Print the parts as oriented. No supports needed, assuming your printer is capable of a decent amount of bridging.
  • Use four (4) M3 x 8mm screws to mount the TFT to the TFT holder.
  • Use four (4) M3 x 8mm screws to mount the TFT holder to the lid.
  • Use two (2) M3 x 8mm screws to attach the clamp that holds the DC connector in place.
  • Use eight (8) M3 screws of an appropriate length to attach your two cooling fans.

Change log:

• July 6, 2022, 12:00 noon (EST): corrected oversight of leaving off access holes.

Other remixes by me for the LowRider 3 include:

My PayPal tip jar: PayPal.Me

*Product links are Amazon affiliate links.

Fantastic. Thanks!!

1 Like

UPDATE July 7, 2022 - “Low Fat” Base option

What’s this “Low Fat” thing? This is my version of a brainchild of aaron GitHub on the V1 Engineering forum. It’s a more efficient version of the base with some “fat” trimmed off. It maintains thickness and strength where needed, but saves 33% of the plastic and shaves 25% off the print time. It also has a new version of hanging bracket, inspired by the work of Dan @SupraGuy on the V1 Engineering forum. This hanging bracket is split in two so it can accommodate your temporary struts while you’re starting out with your LowRider v3, and then graduate to your permanent struts once you get them cut and installed. I’m offering both the original base (v 1.2) and the new one (1.3.2) so you get to choose. And both are available for 1/8" thick struts or ¼" thick struts.

UPDATES April 28-29, 2023

As requested by fellow makers, the TFT holder for the non-E3 version, has been updated to both make the stand-offs better and more accommodating, and to make the window for the TFT narrower by 4mm on the side with the knob, to prevent a black strip from showing. The reset button has also been revised to accommodate the new TFT holder. These changed parts have been added to the Printables listing. Thanks to all for feedback and collaboration.

1 Like