LowRider build thread- location: Kansas

So I’ve been trying to make some sawdust. Turns out I had some slightly wonky cut MDF parts, but with some sanding it was easily remedied and helped straighten my Z tubing rides.

But I have run into an issue and I’m not sure what the problem is. (see photos)

[attachment file=108789]
[attachment file=108790]

So Cut #1 was perfect. depth was right, barely cut into the spoilboard as designed. I made the mistake of not making the holding tabs tall enough, but that’s easily fixed.

Cut #2, cleared the material once done with cut#1 and cut out (same issue with tabs), BUT on last pass it went lower than cut#1.

Cut #3, everything went wrong. didnt clear material but as it traveled to start point it cut through material, and then plunged even further because it obviously didnt clear the material. (bit got stuck, there were sparks, I hit the emergency stop).

Any ideas on why I’m losing Z as I progress through the program? too fast or maybe assembly too tight?
Eastlecam speeds are set as per the basic instructions. feedrate for 1/8" flat cutter is at 3mm/s F(z) @ 12mm/sF(xy

I manually checked the Z, Raised up 30mm, then dropped 30mm with it physically starting and stopping in the same point (no drop in Z that I could tell). so I just cant figure out what’s going on.

Also did a V-carve with similar issues. I thought my table just wasnt level, as I was losing Z hight in some places, and deeper in others…

Look at your CAM first, if you have one of the Z speeds wrong you will get exactly that symptom. You can also see it if your set screws on the Z couplers aren’t completely tight, but that usually means a tilt not an even drop.

2 Likes

Double check you Z rapids and that they are set to show on every line, as in the instructions. This has come up a bunch of times over the last few days. I might need to change that picture on the instructions or something.

Also make sure your Z axis is not binding or rubbing the table too much. Lube the lead screw?

1 Like

Ok so I double checked the couplets, all are tight. but I added blue thread lock to keep them from backing out.

Here are all my settings and tool setups. I didnt think the tool setups would be the problem, but figured I’d just add em since I was getting settings. All seem to be setup as per the basic instructions, unless I’m missing something.

[attachment file=“setting 1.PNG”]
[attachment file=“Setting 3.PNG”]
[attachment file=“Setting 5.PNG”]
[attachment file=“Setting 6.PNG”]
[attachment file=“Setting 4.PNG”]
[attachment file=“Setting 2.PNG”]

I was reading in a few places where in the “commands” you can change it all to “G01”, but I believe that was before that “repeat” checkbox was available. Anywho, I did some testing via the screen knob control and when I messed with the Z height over and over, it was always going to the right height. so my guess is the speed isnt right, but I’m not sure which one needs to change/be fixed…

Thanks for the help so far btw! Just cant wait till I can get this beast reliable and repeatable! So much to do!

setting-1.png

Setting-3.png

Not sure if this one got added properly, so here it is again:

[attachment file=“108872”]

Also, is there anyplace to get the proper settings for the mini-rambo board? (edited via the large screen & knob)

Because it looks like one could alter the settings under “advanced settings” that could cause problems. I have not messed with them myself, but if something was askew I wouldnt know what the proper settings are supposed to be to fix it haha.

Setting-6-1.png

That seems okay, so that leaves hardware issues. Check for free range of motion on you Z axis.

1 Like

I’ll do some investigating tonight.
When I was messing with it, I didnt notice anything loose or out of skew. The bolts are tightened so that all 3 bearings on each part make contact and roll with the tubing (is that too tight?).

Z screw shaft and tubing visually are straight. Z screw shaft has lube on both side of the lead screw, doesnt make noise when moving or anything, and falls under its own weight when de-energized (mostly only on the side with the mini-rambo board, not as much on the other side. gotta manually twist the screw to get it all the way down if I emergency stop or whatnot).

It does move pretty quick when running a cut, vrs manually controlling movement. but I assume that’s normal.

I’ll take some video and post the links.
Appreciate the attempting over the internet diagnostic :smiley:

So after some setting changes, speeds and such I think I’m officially up and running!

I still have a few kinks as my bed isnt as level as I’d like (about 1mm out of skew) but it is fixable, I just gotta take the time to do it.

Proceeded to cut some foam:

[attachment file=110461]

Only have one glaring blurp (see red circle) and it’s likely due to the unlevel bed. Bit just entered the foam at an angle, so the top cut at that point was to the left while the underside was spot on. should be fixed once I level the bed.

[attachment file=110462]

So anywho, I’m excited to finally be getting the settings dialed in! now off to make some good stuff!

(maybe after doing some bed leveling…)

VeeDub life!

1 Like

So been busy tinkering and getting everything dialed in. did some small v-carving and discovered one of my Z’s was too tight, so it would work great on one side, but the other would slowly climb as it wouldnt drop as much as it should. After some loosening it is better.

Because were in the middle of trying to sell the house, I had to take a break. but it’s taking too long to sell, and I got ancy, so I did a thing…

The “Sweet” could have been larger, but it looks great. it’s 7.5" tall by 3ft wide.

[attachment file=117830]

Filled the letters with some stain. I think I’ll simply just paint the letters next time, I had hopes that staining would be easier, but not really.

[attachment file=117831]

Then all assembled, cleared, and ready for the wall!

[attachment file=117832]

I’m definitely hooked. I have more stuff I’m thinking of and cant wait to get it out of my head and into some sawdust!

3 Likes

Just for reference,
Here’s what my build looks like when it’s “folded up” and rolling around.
[attachment file=120459]
[attachment file=120458]

At some point I plan on having an “quick lock” setup to keep the sled from falling, but for now I just use the power cord.

it’ll also be nice to permanently attach a vacuum, but dont have a good one yet.

Been making some man glitter though!

Wife wanted a “HOME sign”, where you replace the O with decorative/festive replacements. put a magnet where the O would be to attach/remove the decorative themes. Although as I type this, I realize that velcro would be a heck of a lot easier… currently have a pumpkin for fall/halloween and one for thanksgiving with more to come.

[attachment file=120462]
[attachment file=120463]

Also carved my first flag. My wifes grandfather is turning 80. retired firefighter, so doing the thin red line type flag. Came out amazing cant wait to get it stained and painted…

[attachment file=120464]

Other stuff in the works, but also selling the house/buying a new one, so can only do so much with the time I have…

I like the idea of a holiday swap-able sign. We need more of those!

1 Like

I’ll post some updates here soon (alot has happened in the past few months).

But for a quick recap for the few minutes I have to spare right now:

• portable flip table is fairly nice for moving.
  • No issues with gantry or printed parts being stored in the mostly vertical position for a few months.
  • SUPER glad I ended up flattening the entire table top (it took a few hours, but totally worth it)

I’ll be posting some more indepth details later and photos. but for now all you get is teasers!

4 Likes

how wide are the legs?

how wide is you leg support system there?

Hey @deanembrey, sorry I missed your first comment…
So they are about 45" wide.

really they are just there to keep the table from “flipping”, so they could be set anywhere towards the edges really. I just wanted them inset enough so they are out of the way of the gantry and my feet, but towards the edges enough that they provide some stability.