Lowrider laser installation guide?

Good afternoon! I really want to start assembling lowrider 2. But instead of a spindle, I want to use a blue, inexpensive laser. I recently saw on YouTube one person had a problem with connecting the laser to the Rambo board. As if this board is not very compatible with the laser, because he tried to connect it to the fan connector … and could not regulate the switching on by software. Is it possible to install another board instead of Rambo and connect a laser. For example SKR 1.3 with 2209 drivers or something like that. And yes, the question from the title will there ever be a guide regarding this?) How can a beginner do all this?)

Well, a few things to remember:

There are many different configurations for lasers. Some just take 12V with whatever duty cycle you give them, some use a control signal of differing voltage, some use a 5V pulsed PWM line, some use a TTL pulsed ground, and there are more that I haven’t personally seen, I’m sure.

Some of these are going to be more difficult to configure than others.

Mine is 5V PWM controlled.

Now add in that V1 actually supports firmware builds on several boards, and asking for this, you are asking for a considerable amount of work to be done.

In general 12V pulsed lasers can usually just be connected to a heater output. The heater circuit (Which actually switches the GROUND side of the connection, not the 12V line) can also deal with other configurations that deal with a pulsed ground, even if it’s not 12V. But it doesn’t matter if it’s the fan pin, hotend heater or bed heater. the “One guy who had a problem” didn’t configure the firmware correctly, and I doubt that it would matter one bit which barod he was connecting it to. Find another YouTube guy who didn’t have a problem connecting it, and just follow those instructions.

Servo outputs are already configured for PWM output, and can be set up to control a 5V PWM laser. This is probably the best case for a laser on the RAMBo. This is the type of laser that I bought, though I’ll be connecting it to a different type of board, I’m pretty sure that I could make it work easily enough.

Well, asking questions is the first step. Congratulations, you’re there.

If you have not bought a control board… Start there. I recommend that you choose one that is V1 supported. The RAMBo is a good starting place. Any of the Mega2560/RAMPS 1.4 clone boards is also good, and reasonably easily supported.

If you have not already bought your laser, then start asking about that. There are a bunch of different control options for diode lasers, and some brands have better reputations. Go ahead and ask for recommendations.

Other people will have added lasers to their LR or Primo. The firmware changes are the same, pick a control pin not used for something else, and wire it up.

A “one size fits all” to add a laser gets difficult, unless you’re going to say “With An SKR Pro 1.2, and a NEJE 5.5W laser module…” otherwise, it’s got to be somewhat general.

I thank you for the detailed answer! I also realized that I must correctly formulate my question. I am interested in laser modules that are capable of cutting through plywood 5-6 mm thick. Albeit at a low speed and not at once. I’ve seen similar ones on aliexpress and on amazon. Of course, I would buy better quality ones (although the difference in price there is too big, until I am ready to pay more than 200 for a laser. And the ones I need from trusted brands are not cheaper than 500). Among other things, I would very much like to save money on the control board. For example, Rambo on Amazon costs over 100. While the TFR boards are cheaper. I am very attracted to the SKR 1.3 and SKR 1.4 boards. To be honest, I don't know what caused such a high cost in price ... It's not even about saving, I understand that if I want to get a high-quality product, I need to shell out money, and I'm ready, but the customs conditions of my country do not allow importing goods at a price of more than 300 at a time.
I will try to choose a laser module that suits me, and as I understand it, judging by its description, it will be possible to select a board that is supported by a lowrider and start purchasing the rest of the parts for assembly. I would love to install end switches for laser auto homing. I will write to you here in the forum as soon as I pick up the laser, thank you very much for the advice, I hope that I can assemble my laser table on the lowrider!

1 Like