LowRider maximum speeds and feeds? Depends, cut deep with slow feeds to max cut volume

Wondering what is the max speed for LR feedrates.

My LR, marlin was preconfigured.

Just wondering if the max speed as per bit recommendations can be exceeded to make it faster for jobs

IIRC, max XY is set to 50mm/s and max Z is set to 15mm/s. Those are safe numbers.

If you’re trying to finish a job faster, deeper is usually better. The steppers have more torque at lower speeds.

1 Like

50 is the fastest I ever went.

2 Likes

Is it safe while working on wood, or on wood, pine, with 1mm depth per pass.

Would it apply to wood, 1mm depth per pass, pine

1 Like

That would be fine, I was doing half inch cuts in the video I posted. I wouldn’t recommend that all the time, but it’s capable. You can start at 1mm, and work your way down. Test cuts are the best way to find out what your machine can do.

1 Like

Why not go deeper and do get passes though?

1 Like

i jog my lowrider at up to 120mm per sec
never cut any anything faster then 40-50mm per sec though

Can a LR handle deeper passes of more than 1mm in solid wood.

Won’t the motors overload and fail

1 Like

It all depends on your feeds and speeds. I cut 6mm deep at 20mm/s with a 1/8 and 1/4 endmill. Technically the bit should be doing most of the hard work, not the steppers

2 Likes

Nothing is simple, but the load from the bit moving at 20mm/s at 1mm per pass is about the same as moving 10mm/s and 2mm per pass. But at high speeds, the amount of load needed to make it skip steps is lower, so go deeper first, then go faster.

And most LRs can handle more than 1mm/pass.

The other part of this is that if you are taking 1mm/pass and your Z isn’t perfect (it never is), you may end up with 3-5mm of cutting in certain areas. If you are moving at 50mm/s, that is a lot more load than you wanted. If that happens and you are cutting at 10mm/s and 5mm, you’ll be cutting at 7-9mm and 10mm/s, which might be risky, but it is a lot less load.

2 Likes

I think the only time I ever overloaded my lowrider was when I was surfacing the spoil board. Like Jeff said, it’s not always level, and boards are never perfectly flat. That was also a 1" surfacing bit though. My video I posted was a quarter inch endmill. No skipped steps, and the measurements were pretty close to spot on.

This is maple butcher block with a quarter inch depth of cut and a quarter inch endmill. I’m not sure if I still have the gcode for it, not sure the speeds and feeds I used.

Found it. Was cutting at 15mm/s.

1 Like

When making a 3d relief from STL files, I realise that z randomly changes, it can randomly switch from 0.5mm to 4.5mm

How do I avoid that

It causes random deep cuts and instant over loads

Make sure the set screws are tight in the coupler.

As Berry mentions, grub screws are a common reason to lose steps. I’d also look at any mechanical/binding issues that would provide extra upward resistance. Having the stepper driver shut down due to overheating as been mentioned on the forum and would result in this behavior on many rigs since LowRiders tend to descend when unpowered. Likewise a Z wiring issue where the Z stepper is unpowered for a bit would cause lost steps.

If you are watching when this happens, see if you can determine if both steppers are failing, or just one. All the things listed would be just one stepper failing/binding.

Thanks Barry.

And how do I avoid instant z plunges in 3D carving, when I designed a 3d relief with estlcam, I got instant z plunges too deep

The problem doesn’t seem to be lost steps.

When cutting it’s okay.

My 3d relief has max depth of 10mm, I did dry run, and I see z-axis switching from 0.5mm to 4.5mm, etc…

I thought it would be incremental as per tool steps settings

Can you attach the g-code for a file that fails to a post? It would be interesting to see if the plunges are inthe g-code. Maybe there is a problem with the STL file that EstlCAM is not handling well.

When not powered, only one stepper falls