LowRider Refresh

Hello all,

I had some PLA parts finally give so now I am in the process of reprinting. A few questions…

1. Does anyone have a way to have all axis home using the Rambo 1.4 (Seems like not enough plug in ports to add all the endstop switches in)

2. Whats some new latest and greatest things to 3D Print for the LR2?

Thanks for all the help!

1 Like

You just have to get into the firmware (pins) and assign the Endstops to your axes, then include them in the homing routine (also in the firmware, main settings file I think). You get six of them (xyz, min/max) and only have five steppers.

I don’t know how to set X up, but it seems like there are enough endstop connections on the Rambo board: two for Z up, two for Y, one for Z touch plate. That leaves one for X if you want it, and since a standard build only has one stepper on X, that is all that is needed.

1 Like

Actually, looks like there are some dual LR premades.

https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/marlin-firmware/

I think they are dual on Z because of this thread :

Either way, it’s not much trouble if you’re brave.

I don’t have a LowRider, but my understanding is that the V1 maintained dual builds are currently setup for dual Z home, dual Y home, and probe Z. What I’ve never seen mentioned is homing of X.

2 Likes

Probably because it’s trivial and if you’re homing y and z, you’re definitely homing x. I set up my lowrider to home all 3 axes and the probe, which also worked in all three axes. And I’m kind of an idiot. Surely, it’s child’s play for our resident wizards.

You could do it with one hand tied behind your back based on what I’ve seen in your posts.

X is enabled, you just don’t need it.

https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/dual-lr/#wiring

Just so I understand, then. When you say “x is enabled you just don’t need it”, you’re referring to the dual homing? X still homes to a limit switch, as normal, right?
That seems like a really stupid question as i type it out, but I’m still working on my first coffee and i wonder if i misunderstood a question earlier here.

In LR land, the X is only one motor. It doesn’t need an endstop because it can’t square anything and the zero point means nothing to a CNC, where the work piece is the zero.

It was editorial, and I should have just kept it to myself :frowning:

That was my solution… It is mainly there to provide a stop if I just use G28 to home the machine.

2 Likes

I really hope you don’t start keeping editorials to yourself! I think it’s way better to make a statement and clarify it than not to make one at all when you actually know what you’re talking about, and you certainly do.

We have a lot of great information centralized in the docs, but there is a HUGE amount of knowledge that is probably not even a good fit for the docs, much less IN them.

I can’t tell you how many times I found a little nugget like that in a thread like this.

1 Like

Yeah. I appreciate that. But there is a difference between some of my advice. If I say, “The Zmin endstop is enabled in the dualLR firmware”. That is something I am very confident about.

But if you want to use it, or there are some scenarios where you could use it (either the G28, or some repeated fixture), then I should be more clear that decision to not use it is not black and white. If I don’t have time to talk through the nuance, then I should consider just not saying anything.

It is a balance. I don’t think anyone treats my advice 100% (which is a great thing). But I have a responsibility (whether I like it or not) to not dilute strong advice with mediocre opinions. But I will still tell you what I think, in most cases. But be clearer about the confidence or nuance.

2 Likes

Always a great community to get info from when needed! So I agree the X limit switch isnt necessary but Id like to be lazy and press one homing button and go from there. I have my z axis home in the z max position and my Y limit switches working as well (Need to mount the y limits though but no great way yet). Whats the new latest and greatest cable management people are using? Ive been out of touch with new advancements for the LR2. Mine has been working over the years but want to give it a sleek new facelift if that makes sense.

1 Like