Lowrider V3, BTT SKR 1.3 with Klipper. Dropping Z

OK, any suggestion how big or efficient fan should be? Thanks a lot

In my experience, a cheapo 30mm fan is fine. If that isn’t cutting it, then something else is wrong.

120mm RGB w/ Bluetooth controller (and for Pete’s sake, don’t forget your safe word!)

Wait, wrong thread…

Thoughts on DRV8825 vs TMC2209 regarding torque, reliability, heat?

Nope. I read, that DRV8825 is good for strenght :slightly_smiling_face:

The TMC 2209 with UART feedback has a few features:

• M122 can tell you if some things are wrong. It doesn’t always find the issue, but it has flags for over temp, open loop, or shorting to ground.
  • The current gets set by the firmware. That is really nice to be able to change things and have a reliable setting. The little trim pots are a pain.
  • Features like stealthchop, sensorless homing, don’t really help with CNC. We have those turned off.
  • There are features like interpolating the 1/16th microstepping to 1/256th microstepping. And I have heard that the way they measure the current is better, but IDK if I buy any of that.
  • The chip is mounted on the bottom, and sinks heat through the PCB. That is supposed to be better for heat dissipation.

The drv8825 was our go-to driver for many years. Before the TMC drivers were available. They work well.

2 Likes

Grat explanation. Thank you. I will try TMC, inspect cable and add active cooling

Hello, guys. So i put BTT TMC 2209 drivers for every stepper. Littlebit configuring in Klipper. Super ez. I am excited about this firmware. Uart works, current 0.8.
I was going around about 2 hours. Powering on and off. Moving with axises. Then i started job from past. It goes 45minutes and no drop. Driver heatsink barely hot. I added fan on heatsinka. Everythink seems ok. I will try to cut my wedding album. Wish me luck. It will happen on saturday :joy:

OK. I tried to make gcode. Everything seems ok. It was gcode for planning spoilboard. But I put my absolute zero above board. So it was safe.
When i start a gcode for my album. It starts to put Z about 50mm instead of 1mm (steps are ok)
So I looked to code. Everything was ok. Z-1. So i made a new one code. It starts ok. Made 3 circles and when it was making frame, it pulls one Z motor up to the endstop. When it touched endstop, axis drops.
I don´t know, what to do :-/ Heatsinks seems slightly warm, but not hot.

hi @Apofish great to hear you got the Lowrider v3 working with klipper! I’m looking to do the same; could you share your klipper configuration? Cheers.