Lowrider

I have done my research and have used an old MaxNC CL15 for a number of years to build small parts. I have the opportunity to take a hobby of building composite race boats to a valid money making opportunity. I need a CNC router with the LowRider CNC’s flexibility.

I need an exact list of what I need to buy. I have a perfectly flat surface to use as a deck. I have a deal with DeWalt through the racing team… I just need to get this thing ordered as I already have 3 projects I need to build plugs for and need them to be accurate. I use AutoCAD and an old license of ProEngineer to generate any complex surface files.

I need to know what I need to build the entire machine, including a recommended PC, CAM Software, DeWalt brand Router… Assume all I have is a shop with 200 Amp Service, a nice flat 4’ x 9’ table and no internet service. With my kids out of school for the next few weeks due to the CV-19 precautionary measures, I thought this would be a good project for us to do… they will help me with all of the PC related stuff.

Kind Regards,

Mike

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have a 3D printer?

First thing is to figure out your source for stainless steel tubing/pipe. That is the key. A 1" outer/exterior diameter pipe that is standard here calls for the 25.4mm parts. Need to figure out how wide you are going and how long. Wide for the stainless dimensions and length for toothed belt dimensions and wiring length.

Second, you need to be able to make the router base and the Z side brackets. Those can be hand made with a scroll saw, band saw and router and drill or even hand tools.

Third, you can buy the complete parts bundle from ryan’s shop. You will have to decide on what control board to use and that will determine your wiring setup. Ordering the LCD makes it easier to control right off the bat and you can upload SDcard files with the gcode.

You will need to get some bits. If you are just cutting, the single flute upcut 1/8" bits work just great.

A working PC that can do your design work. Are you modeling complex shapes that need carving/milling or just going to be cutting flat parts and making pockets? Any vector program will be enough if that’s the case, like Inkscape. 3D design programs are much more versatile though.

CAM is usually EstlCAM. It’s free to use, but a nag screen gets pretty annoying after a little while. I think it was worth the $50. Fursion 360 is really good. free for hobby use and it has excellent CAM. Since you are familiar with CAD and CAM, that might be the ticket.

Controling the LowRider can be done with a PC connected by USB cable using Repetier host. Works ok especially if your design computer is going to be the control computer.

No internet? no problem. I’d recommend a raspberry pi running CNC.js. The kids can learn a lot about computing using one. It can run in host mode without a network but you can get any old router even if it doesn’t have internet connection to manage a local network in the shop.

I’m leaving out lots of details, but this might help move the conversation further.

1 Like

Thanks for the response…

I do have a printer but it’s really old and doesn’t work great. I used it a lot and would prefer to just purchase these parts.

I have a supplier for 1” Stainless Steel with .065” and .120” thickness. I want the working area to be 4’ x 8’ initially with the thought of looking to expand to 24’ in the future.

I’d prefer to buy the Z side brackets, if possible, and I can make the router base. I use a router and router table every day at my boat shop so bits and anything router related, I should have covered.

It sounds like I should definitely buy the LCD. Initially, I will be cutting simple shapes at first but as my skill gets better, I will do more complex surfaces. I am a design engineer and have several CAD programs at my disposal. I do a lot of solid modeling of complex surfaces for my normal job so in time, I’d like to use the CNC machine to make these shapes. I want to build full molds of wings 84” wide with an 18” chord at first. Some of these wings will have some complex surfacing but for now, it will be a pocket with a flat surface with a maximum depth of 1.5”.

It sounds like I just need to order the parts and briefly talk with someone to make sure I order the correct parts. I will get Fusion 360 and I have a fairly new DELL laptop I could use for both CAD/CAM. I’d like to order this stuff tomorrow so we can work on it over Spring Break… even though Spring Break looks like it could end this summer…

How do I get in touch with Ryan to order parts?

Thanks again for your help and kindness!

Kind Regards

Mike

2 Likes

There is a link to the shop at the top of the forum pages. The docs are also (mostly) here

docs.v1engineering.com

There are some from the main v1engineering.com site too. I may be the only one, but I like to read the instructions so I have a better idea what I’m getting into before I buy stuff. It helps me understand what I need better.

3 Likes

Weirdo… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

My family busts my chops all the time for not reading the directions. What they don’t realize is that I’ve read them online two or three times, often comparing multiple sources before deciding to get/build/start/paint/whatever the project might be.

3 Likes