Lowrider2 build in Malmö, Sweden

Greetings from Malmö fellow builders!

This is my Lowrider2 project thus far.

First of all, thank you Ryan for this awesome design and your quick response when i needed help. And thank you all for posting on this forum, it has been such a gold mine of info to (hopefully) be able to complete this machine.

My LR2 will be operated in our tiny family storehouse which is VERY close to my neighbours, so i started this whole project by building an enclosure. It´s uggly as f… but works pretty well. Made out of OSB, Plasterboard and Fiber cement boards. Heavy (on wheels) and quiet.

My table is an Ikea desktop board that fit perfectly. Underneath i plan to build a DIY dust vacuum system from an old domestic vacuum cleaner. If it doesn’t work out i have a regular shop vac. I went ahead and stole the rail idea from the forum here. Works great. I customized the 611 plate and bolted a 43mm aluminum mount to it to be able to use my old Bosch POF 600 ACE.

I plan to go the camera route within the enclosure and need to add some light aswell.

I’m a hobby luthier (bass guitar builder) and my main purpose with this project is bass building. Can’t wait to get that going. I have started to transfer some of my “pen and paper” designs into Rhino. EstlCAM seems pretty nice, as does Repitier Host, but i’m new to this CAD → CAM → CNC → JOY world so i´m ready for the learning curve.

Thanks again and lovely to be part of this!

Best regards,
Theo

9 Likes

That is the cutest looking lowrider I’ve seen on the forum yet!

1 Like

Haha, well, glad to be the first at SOMETHING.

That looks great. I can’t wait to see what you build. What size is the work area?

Oh, thanks!
The work area is about 400mm x 900mm (16x35 inches?). Just enough to cut bass bodies and necks. Wanted the Lowrider incase i end up in a better facility and can upgrade to a longer work area, if i ever want to make a neck-throu bass.

1 Like

By the way, Just after a posted here i ran in to a power up problem. I’ve hade no problem getting power into this thing and i past the “crown” test using Estlcam and Repitier. However, when i mounted my router left side Z-axis accidently got pressed down all the way down, while the board was still powered up. After that i haven’t been able to start it. I have tried to redo the wiring for the powercord, but it doesn’t work.

Any thoughts?

What controller are you using? Can you post a pic showing how it is wired?

looks nice!
Interested to know how the sound damper works out during operation, as I still need to figure out this for my own project.

Oh, and I think you´d best put a filter before the vacuum cleaner, I imagine the dust will give issues really quick.

Using Rambo 1.4

Hey, thanks!

I haven’t yet tried it out with hardwood but when i put the router on + vacuum cleaner and close the door it cuts the noice at least by half. I can speak with a normal speaking voice no problems.

As for Vacuum design i´m considering something like this:

1 Like

Nice and simple wiring. Do you have a multimeter? Can you check the voltage at those screws for the power? Check the fuses too.

Wow that´s better then I expected! Thanks for sharing this!

Over here I am planning something similar. I do have a none motorized ash vacuum cleaner from our fireplace. I think it´s the same principle and the filter will spare the vacuum cleaner´s life :slight_smile:

Ok. 12 Volts at the screws (both pairs) and 12 Volts at Fuses F2 and F3. Nothing at F4 but it´s obviously not connected to power. The green LED is still not working as it did yesterday. Is my RAMBO dead?

Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing your design. I have problems buying a cheap vacuum hose for some reason. Have to order one online.

Regarding the enclosure, this is just my subjective experience of the difference in sound. No science or measurements. Just to be clear. But i´m happy with it and i would recommend going for density over padding and foam.

1 Like

Maybe a thick tube for an aquarium or pond could be the solution?

I understand:) Density is the best audio isolation, the foam is imho more for acoustics :smiley:

Good suggestion :+1:

Should I try re-flashing the firmware? Is that a complicated process. Is there a how-to guide? It’s not my strong side.

The pool hoses have been reported to squeal a high pitch. Maybe you’ll be lucky and get one that doesn’t.

You can flash the firmware. You can get the source and .hex from MarlinBuilder releases and then flash with Xloader. It isn’t hard at all, unless these is something wrong with the board. You need 12v power and usb to flash.

Ok thanks! Will try that and hope for the best. Is it this one i should flash:

Skärmavbild 2021-08-21 kl. 15.46.29

By the way, talking about high pitch, my lowrider (board or steppers?) made a continuous high pitched sound while powered up. Is that normal?

Thank you for the response!

1 Like