Lowrider2 -Jimmy Diresta style

This was modeled after Jimmy Diresta’s “Shop Table” with only a few modifications to the bottom shelf and I welded the legs on the inside of the top frame to allow clearance for the lower Z bearing bracket on the Y-Plates. Don’t judge my welding, I’m not a welder.

It fits a full sheet but isn’t quite able to cut a full sheet. I may change that later with some unistruts, but I don’t ever cut things out of plywood actually so it’s not a priority.

You can see the type of work I typically get commissioned to do. The project you see is a 3" thick Black Walnut desk. All the cracks and holes as well as the logo were filled with white epoxy to give it some pop.

I used to do these types of projects with a handheld router, and flattening with a router sled. It’s really nice to not have wood chips being blown into my face for several hours a day, and the precision is just incredible. Add dust collection to that and this this thing is a dream. The school semester just started back up for me and I think I will legitimately be able to “work” in the shop while I do school work, listen to lectures etc since the semester is basically going to be mostly online.

So huge thanks goes to @vicious1 for the awesome design, and to @jeffeb3 for being so helpful on the forums and for v1pi (I’m a github supporter!). It’s rare to find a community of such generous people, and I’m glad I found this place.

9 Likes

Love it, and the multitasking…chip away at that student debt!

2 Likes

Looks Great!

Great setup. Huge slabs. How did you attach that 4" dust port?

And thanks for the sponsorship :slight_smile:

Someone on this forum made a 4” DC attachment. Once again, super awesome people in this forum. Final result of that desk top order. All thanks to the community and the designer of the Lowrider2!

7 Likes

Loving that steel frame table. Has me thinking perhpas I’ll buy into a MIG / TIG Welder and have a go myself. Have you considered adding a metal skirt running along the wheel track to alleviate dust forming on the wheel track.

these are good people, they want to help?

I have thought about it. I plan to tack some angle iron or something similar to both keep the wheels true to the frame and keep sawdust out of their path. Haven’t made a decision yet though.

I’m confused by your punctuation. Are you asking if they want to help? And yes, I do believe there are some really good people here, if that was your question.

yes sorry