LowRider maximum speeds and feeds? Depends, cut deep with slow feeds to max cut volume

I’m not a LowRider owner, but I know from reading the forum that some Z axis issues have been traced to binding/mechanical issues with the Z axis. I’m guessing that when not powered, that ideally both steppers should “fail,” and the one that does not fail is binding somewhat. That “binding” may not be enough to impact your cutting, but I’d guess that both steppers should behave the same.

It falls on the side where the router or spindle iz set

1 Like

Yea, that’s just the weight of the router, it will do that.

~year since last post. So many variables and dimensions to consider, but I have to ask…

Curious what people are able to achieve with a stock LowRider 3 that’s small (<= 2’x4’), large (>= 4’x8’) or medium ( 2’x4’ < medium < 4’x8’ ) division? Also curious about LR3 mods that provide best bang for buck.

Would be great to hear about learnings that helped maximize people’s Experience (or Effectiveness ?), measured as Material Cut volume per sec (E = MC^3 mm/s ). I understand LowRider’s design sweet spot is to cut deep and relatively low feed rate. So, depth of cut needs to be looked at as well as feeds and speeds.

Knowing about max material cut volume for most common materials would be helpful (e.g MDF/Plywood/Acrylic/Alu). Appreciate that what’s considered acceptable cut quality is subjective. e.g. Typical framer and carpenter will have very different ideas on what’s good quality.

Sounds like most common bit for these benchmark comparison tests would be 1/4" Carbide single flute upcut end mill? Even the quality of these will vary depending on the manufacturer.