LR2 in Colo Spgs, CO

Here is my Quarter Sheet LowRider2. I’ve had to make some modifications, such as I made the table out of 3030 extrusions and my own custom designed EBOX and Pendant. I had to make some custom parts and changed up the BOM to accommodate.

Mods:

• Custom X-carriage to accommodate Bosch Colt (in place of 611_plate).
  • Custom Y Belt blocks to mount to the extrusions.
  • Custom Y Plate to adapt to the new belt locations and accommodate wheels designed for 3030 extrusions instead of the roller blade wheels.
  • Cable chains and chain guides
  • Custom Belt ends (mounts using only 1 cable tie per attach point, rather than 3-4)
  • Custom 3D printed EBOX to contain power supplies, SKR Pro 1.2, Pi 4, and SSRs and Relays to control Spidle and Vacuum
  • Custom Pendant for TFT35 E3 V3 screen
  • Dovetail shoe for drag knife, Laser, or pen attachment
  • Dual Endstop setup w/ detachable Z probe
  • Hard Y & Z stops that act as endstop mounts as well.
  • Safety Z endstops (in case of missed Z probe)

Note, these are older WIP pics, this isn’t the final location. Also, the wiring is cleaned up a lot.

9 Likes

That looks like a clean build. Nice work. The extrusion looks great.

3 Likes

Thanks! it looks better now, but it’s still a work in progress. currently I’m having issues w/ the “SD card Intl Fail”, but i can still cut simple 2D if i home manually… lol

Super clean build!

2 Likes

Randomly or it does not ever see your card? I have a very strong feeling it has to do with the cable length, these screens are notoriously picky.

Thanks! like i was telling Jeffe, it looks better in its current iteration

It fails constantly but does recognize the card is inserted. if I pull out the card it says, “MEDIA REMOVED”, but if I reinsert the card, or even use a separate FAT32 formatted card it goes back to “SD INIT FAIL”. What has me scratching my head is that it worked fine on 513S, even had sucess with prompt support (aka tool changing, probing, etc…). However, I had to manually square it every time. When I upgraded to 513DL it started giving the error.

Very nice. I love the addition of the Y axis drag chain which looks like it might double as a dust-blocker to keep your Y wheels free of dust. I like the aluminum extrusion table as well. I would have gone that route but I can’t find anyone who supplies them in 10’ lengths. Overall I love how clean your build is. It looks very professional.

1 Like

Thanks! Tnutz.com is where I got most of the hardware and all the extrusion. They stock 15,20,30,40,and 45 as I believe they actually make it. Plus for a small fee they’ll cut, tap and or drill it for you in a small set of combos. I built mine from 3030. The angle I used is from lowes and it is dual purpose as you suspected. I also used bar stock and more angle to stiffen it up (not pictured yet, but I’ll probably do that tomorrow).

Second this. Could be coincidence but my machine worked fine initially, extended the cabling to 3’ and failed constantly. Went back to standard length and worked fine.

Here’s the odd thing. I updated the screen firmware from the V1Engineering github and I had the same issue as before. So I did some troubleshooting and I was able to print from the screen SD card in touch screen mode, but prompts aren’t supported, it just says “paused”, so I hit “ok”, then “resume” and it moves on to the next step, but the steps repeat. In marlin mode the pauses would be “attach probe”, “detach probe”, “set spindle speed”, and so on, but marlin mode is oblivious to this… So I guess it is a cable length issue, but I still don’t understand why it worked fine under the 513S config. Either way, I’m making headway… Lol

You need to use Marlin mode there is a major bug in the TFT side, the fix is being tested and Hopefully merged soon. No point in using the TFT side, currently commands are getting garbled randomly.

i usually like marlin mode better, but i was trying to dial in again and see what worked and what didn’t i’ll have to do more troubleshooting but i think that means my pendant won’t work if cable length is that much of an issue. i also know that using the controller SD card is massive issue as well (lots of stuttering, so mid print fails from what i gathered) so it seems I’m at an impasse. if i knew what i was doing, and wasn’t so dyslexic, i’d try to do my own build.

We need this to get merged and then we can start to dial the screen in again. Currently, it can not be used reliably in touch mode. Avoid sending multiple commands at once by kisslorand · Pull Request #2365 · bigtreetech/BIGTREETECH-TouchScreenFirmware · GitHub

Fresh Pics
EBOX:

Motion Parts:

Items still needing to be done:

• Dust Shield on right track
  • Dust Shield under spoilboard (probably just coroplast between Y runners)
  • Undershelf (i don’t have a truck, so such a large piece is hard to transport)
  • Lower Y runners (more angle under the X angle shown)
  • Proper Spoil board Mounting and dog holes
  • TOOL STORAGE! i have all my cheapo Chinese endmills in a filament box… lol
3 Likes

So, I got this sorted out. I rang out my wiring and found that a wire on EXT2 was broken. once I got it fixed it worked beautifully. From what I can tell with these data buses the biggest issue is 1 of 2 things:

1. Cable Lengths are not the same between EXT1 and EXT2.
  2. Overall cable length exceeds 3 meters.

Can anyone recommend a good video tutorial for programming Marlin in VSCode? I tried Chris’s Basement and it was very informitive… for 3D printers. I’m looking for something more specific to opening the MPCNC github and modifying it not from scratch.

Just use his example with our source files to whatever board is nearest to yours. At that point there should be very minimal changes.

I know I have to be doing something wrong because he usually opens the Marlin github, but not a modified/pull version. But when I download and extract your versions, I go to mod the config*.h files and all I get is the default versions, even thou if I open your hosted config*.h files in notepadd++ I get nice and modified versions…

I’m not a programmer and only just started using gethib and VSCode, so I deeply apologize for my ignorance… lol

Download the files from here, you will need to unzip twice.

ME too!!! no worries, just take is slow and we will get you there.

My guess is that the old repo is tricking you. Follow Ryan’s link. There were so many versions to keep up to date, we keep track of the changes differently now.

1 Like