M8 Rod vs ACME T8

I’m making some improvements to my lowrider, swapping the 12mm MDF Y plates for 3/4 plywood to gain rigidity (the MDF started to flex and the wheels fell out). And I had planned to change my M8 rods (I am using M8 rod because in Argentina I could not get ACME T8 but after a while I got them) in Z axis for ACME T8 rod. But I read that when you turn off the motors the Z axis falls against the table due to the lack of tension in the motors. Currently this does not happen to me because I have an M8 rod. It is more to start a job I go to my zero point, I turn off the lowrider and turn on again to have my zero point without using repetier or the LCD screen. It is practical. If I change, that couldn’t do it anymore right? And if there is a power cut, the Z axis will fall against the table suddenly? Or before some failure that is detected in the cut or loss of steps, the machine cannot be turned off quickly? How do you work?
Thanks!

You can send G92 X0 Y0 Z0 or choose set home offsets in the lcd to do the same thing.

It does drop when I lose power or kill the power. You can use a 1 start leadscrew instead (T8x2) but then you have to slow way down.

1 Like