Machine base (aka table)

I’m not accusing you of lying. I think you might have been too optimistic about the potential capabilities of the MPCNC (particularly before working on the Low Rider), but that’s not the same thing.

I’m not trying to undermine you on your own site. I’m giving honest feedback about my experiences attempting to build an oversized MPCNC, and the time and effort I wasted in doing so. I don’t hold you responsible for that.

My machine is 3.28 x 3.28 feet and works perfectly
Change your rails for something stiffer if you get flexing, the tube skin size and materials are important.

David I am not offended at all. Emotions are hard to portray in text (at least for me). I just try to keep my meaning clear first and foremost. The machine was originally designed as 24" and under. A few revisions later it can be bigger. I have never used it above 30" but can only form opinions based on others experiences and videos.

Because of the number of people making this thing huge I decided to try and protect the integrity of the machine and build The lowRider to give the people an option as they were obviously going to make it how they wanted no matter what I said. I learned quickly they people that did go against my suggestions and make it big if it did not live up to Their expectations they would bad mouth it anyway, so The LowRider was born.

I try not to discourage anyone from trying it there way but also give my opinion and why I feel that way. There is a fine line as long as I give my opinion after that I will just try and make the experience, with whatever they choose, as good as possible.

My tubes are 5 feet, I have a 4 foot-ish square cutting area. If you don’t get your feeds and speeds right, you will flex them. I am using electrical conduit though. I’m sure the stainless tubes would work better, that’s why we use them on the lowrider. Now that I have the lowrider built, I’m probably going to shrink my mpcnc back down to my origional size, which I think was around 3 foot square. Now saying all that, I’ve had very little issues cutting with it that big. These were done on the 5 foot mpcnc.
Google Photos
Milled aluminum.

Google Photos
This is solid oak flooring.

1 Like

Dam you did the aluminum on the big boy, that is impressive. I think we learned that with Kevin’s issues. We all tried for day to figure out what was wrong but a little gcode tweak and boom, works perfect, no hardware issues. Sometimes the software is the problem, even though I always try to fix the hardware.

Does the lowrider have a restricted Z height compared to MPCNC?

I have not limited it in anyway but I honestly do not know how high it can go. It is opposite of the MPCNC, the MPCNC is strongest when it is at the top and weaker as it extends down. The lowrider is strongest at the bottom, where it needs the most strength. In my opinion a better cnc router design.

The MPCNC is a do it all kind of machine and the LowRider is a flat sheet router. They both can do many things but as with everything there are limitations.

How high of a Z axis do you need and why?

I’ll be cutting a lot of stuff with complex 3D surfaces. Les Paul guitar tops. Guitar necks. A lot of other similar chunky surfaced things. I learned Solidworks and cad in general from the guy who designs all of Colgate’s toothbrushes, so I’m heavy into surfacing. More recently I work as a mechanical Designer at a laser welding and engraving shop, so I’m starting to also do more robotic type stuff which is also more chunky. Blocks with holes. Etc.

I’m sure if I can find the space I’ll end up having a lowrider and a MPCNC. Right now I’m in a crunch for time to expand my existing MPCNC to get the sailboat centerboard cut in time to maybe go sailing this year. Was supposed to be last year but life happened.

Thanks again for the continued support and encouragement.

Sorry I was more thinking what material, wood, and a guitar neck/body is not very tall you should be fine with a lowrider of any size. But again the smaller the better.

You have a specific purpose in mind, build what you had envisioned and we will all try and help. If it doesn;t work as planned we will figure something out.

You might consider to use a cnc machine to make those cuts. An MPTM, a Mostly Printed Turing Machine. :wink: