Madgrizzle's Robot

The round form factor had me thinking R2D2…That would really catch my attention.

Not to mention the lawyers at Disney…

I love trash!

It’s a robot, not a supreme court nominee…

1 Like
3 Likes

A number of people have built there own “droids”. There’s a forum for people building R2 units, and another for bb8’s. The R2 forum has been around for close to 20 years, I think, and hasn’t been shut down yet. If you’re only building one for personal interest, I think you’re OK.

Yeah, I’m fairly sure you can pretty much do anything for personal use only… it’s when you use it for a commercial purpose you can run afoul of their lawyers… but they have to care enough to spend the money to come after you.

To pay more homage to v1 you could use mpcnc feet and conduit to support your levels instead of all thread​:grin::grin::grin: would probably be a bit stronger and sturdier too due to increased support surface

My 3d printer ability is lacking… life would probably be easier with one that I can get to work well. I have a mini Delta and have a real hard time with accuracy.

1 Like

Delta’s are fun to watch, but getting them dialed in is a huge pain in the ass. I upgraded to a corexy machine, soooo much easier to get working properly.

Interesting. I have a Rostock Max, that’s a workhorse, and I don’t recall really having to do much to get it printing accurately. I got it second hand, and it had some bent and broken parts, but after repairing and replacing those bits, it pretty much just worked. It does have an auto bed leveling routine/sensor. They are fun to watch.

That’s what I had, V2. Could never use the full build plate no matter how much fiddling I did with it. Now I’m slowly cannibalizing parts off it.

Here’s the base plate and motor mounts for V2 of Oscar… some of the red marks you see are from a red marker… others are from my blood. “If you’re not bleeding, you’re not working hard enough”

2 Likes

Why are you using lead acid batteries??

1 Like

The alluring aroma… And chemical burns. Never forget the character building properties of a good chemical burn. :clown_face:

Strictly financial (remember, I just bought a low rider as my Christmas present). I had a SLA battery charger already so I didn’t have to do anything for charging. And SLA are way cheaper than lithium ion. If this project works, then maybe I’ll splurge for nice/light batteries.

But it is really, really heavy. I positioned the batteries forward toward the the front caster since its solidly attached to base plate. The back wheels are currently held in place by those bearing mounts that are tabbed and gorilla-glued into the base plate. I think the glue will be strong enough to keep the tabs from pulling out, but I might put a few screws into it as well. The axles of the wheels are just 1/2-inch bolts that I epoxied into the wheel (wheel is a tad over 1/2-inch bore). The epoxy might not of had the right ratio since the two goops came out of the double syringe inconsistently (was old), but I’m thinking the combination of it and the two tight nuts will be sufficient.

1 Like

Crazy idea: make a super precise robot and mount a router that sticks out under it. Build size: cosmos

Needs guiding grid! I’m looking for one that can orient itself using the stars

2 Likes