Maiking custom watercooling components (PC)

So, my MPCNC has been working great for around a year now, and I wondered if I could use it to make some custom waterblocks for my PC, so CPU and GPU. I got 2 GPUs directly next to one another and they are getting quite toasty.

I would not want to make anything special, just simple waterblocks made out of aluminium.
Has anyone ever tried that with the MPCNC?

Greetings from Germany!

I can’t think of anything that should keep you from cutting the aluminum. You’ll have to make a lot of small DOC cuts, but it should be doable.

My biggest fear is that the blocks won’t be flat enough on the bottom. That would likely result in the block crushing the chip.

Stick with air cooling :smiley: Positive pressure and good fans make one hell of a difference and of course good cable/space management.

Well, I use Noctua Industrial fans and the GPUs are still heating themselves to death, because the bottom one can’t get a lot of fresh air and the other one (Vega 64) is running hot, even at low room temperatures

ahhh… just buy EK water blocks…

I could only find a single waterblock for the Vega 64, and that one would require more airflow because it only cools the core and the other parts are covered by a huge heatsink. And the other one could be easily water cooled as it is a popular nVidia GPU (GTX 970). But where’s the fun in buying all of that? And I don’t think I could get a lot of that right now.
I might look into buying a waterblock for my GPU, but the CPU should be easier to cool with a DIY block, right? I mean, if Linus Tech Tips can do it…

Linus has money to waste… why not do trials on a cheap core i3 and 1050 gpu?

Good idea! I hope I’m lucky and the metal supplier hasn’t closed yet…

Yeah man, I wouldnt do a leak test on a vega if I could do it on something from facebook marketplace :smiley:

I got a 10 year old workstation somewhere in my basement, that will be sacrificed.

1 Like

The bottom might not be perfectly flat, but you can always lap it using high grit wet sandpaper and a flat surface. When we had our quartz countertops put in, I kept all the leftover stock. I use one of those pieces as my flat surface. It’s as close to perfectly flat as I can get in my shop. You could also use a thick piece of glass.

1 Like

Damn i forgot about lapping!