Make these by hand....I WILL NOT!

My boss came into the shop and said we were making a 100ish of some plexi glass holders. How do you plan on making these I asked. He said by hand. I laughed and he didn’t.

I said I will not. I will bring in my cnc machine. You will buy a cheap 10 pack of cutters from amazon and I will Crank these out in a week. Cut by hand. I could never cut these with any sense of equality. Cut by hand

14 Likes

Be careful. No competence will go unpunished!

Seriously though, that is a great story.

4 Likes

Like Jeff said, next you’ll be making furniture, and shelves, and wait, don’t we need a thing over here? :shushing_face:

1 Like

That is how you get a raise!

3 Likes

Yeah…I have ready done 30 3ft lazy Susan’s, 4 desks, a couple of cabinets, and a hand full of weird requests from guests.

2 Likes

Sounds like s good outline for a Dilbert panel. :+1:

4 Likes

One of my coworkers mentioned he used to work for his dad, who is a contractor. Next thing we know he’s fixing the boss’s rental above our office. I warned him.

5 Likes

yup don’t offer anything for free… or they will just expect it in the future… i would have offered the guy a choice. i can cut them by hand here at work and it will take me 4 weeks and turn out poorly. or you can pay me per unit to cut them at home on my CNC and they will turn out great in a week.

that’s how you start a fund for CNC upgrades :wink:

4 Likes

Definitely don’t bring the machine up to work. Once they see it’s portable, they ask you to keep bringing it in.

You could offer to build one for your company. Make some extra bucks off of the build. Then you can get paid to learn/practice CAD/CAM.

2 Likes

True. Maybe this is “just a demonstration” and when the boss asks for the machine’s help again, that machine just happens to be busy all week, but he can build one for the shop for the low, low price of $xxxx.99

2 Likes

I like practicing and learning on the company dime. “Billing” my workplace isn’t possible. So when I currently 3d print stuff for work its always materials X 2 and their electricity. After covid becomes common place and business picks back up. I will talk to my boss about buying the materials to make a new primo for the shop(well one for the shop and one for me). HAHAHAHA!

2 Likes

So I ended up making some more stuff.

our holiday barriers for the front desk agents(yay snow globes). Side note. I now have the approval to build one for the shop. My plan was flawless

EVIL LAUGH!!!

7 Likes

So, how are you planning on getting the snow to whirl?

They are planning on spraying some fake snow on the base along with hitting everyone on the head. With The subliminal holiday season, people will see snow flakes instead of stars.

I just made the frames and painted them red. I will post a picture when they have decorated them.

Eggnog with extra rum…

4 Likes

Vornados and styrofoam beads. It’ll be like you’re inside a giant snow globe!

2 Likes

This finished product

3 Likes

Nice!!!

Awesome, so much nicer than all the alternatives.

We did learn one thing. You can’t spray fake snow on to the plastic. The vapors did something to the tape and all the plastic came undone. Or maybe the chemicals shrunk the plastic more. Anyway it didn’t work