Makerbase MKS Sbase

Oke the flahsing works now, but I can’t flash the firmware.bin I build from PlatformIO. Then not all then lights are on and it doesn’t show the SD drive on my laptop.
When I flash it with the firmware.bin from the MKS Sbase Github it seems to work.

So something in my firmware.bin is wrong from the Rambo Dual

Oke I started over… I unpacked the Rambo Dual zip again and the only thing I changed is ‘default_envs = LPC1768’ in the PlatformIO
Then I press the ‘tick box’ to build.
Then it says: 1 failed, 0 succeeded in 00:02:08:072

What now? Should I read the ‘RED’ lines?

You also need to change the board setting in configuration.h.

Yes, I did that. Then the build is succesfull. But When I try to flash it, it doesn’t work for some reason. I have no qlue why it shouldn’t work…

Would it be easy to take the build from the MKS_Sbase which seems to work an configure it to dual stepper motors and dual endstops?

It is not possible to reverse the firmware.bin into code you can edit.

If you compile their marlin configuration into a firnware.bin and that mostly works, you can edit their configuration.

For useful problem reporting, instead of saying, “it doesn’t work”, describe what you did, what you expected to see, and what you saw instead.

Yes you are right.
I can’t reverse the firmware.bin, but there’s also a complete Marlin folder which I loaded into PlatformIO

When I put the MKS_Sbase firmware.bin onto the SD card and insert it in the board it starts up with eventually 5 yellow LED’s and I can see the SD card as a drive on my laptop. And when I start Ponterface I can connect.

When I do the same with the firmware.bin from Rambo Dual (with changing the env and the motherboard name) only 2 LED’s are on and I can’t see the SD card as a drive on my laptop.
When I start Ponterface it doens’t connect.

I just opened the MKS_Sbase folder in PlatformIO

The first thing I notice in the ‘configuration.h’ is
#define BAUDRATE 250000

When I open Ponterface I select 115200

I’m not surprised the sd card mount doesn’t work. That takes some finagling.

You will need 250k in pronterface to connect to Ryan’s firmware. But it may also need a different serial port number.

Can you give me a link to the mks firmware in github?

Yes It needed a different port, I saw what

Looks like they set the serial port to -1.

Looks like they didn’t set the driver type. You’ll want to set that. This has DVR8825s, right?

I suspect, in Ryan’s firmware, the trick to getting the SD card to mount is in this line, which I think should be set to ONBOARD:

There are also some differences in the pins files. Ryan’s firmware is newer, so I would guess most of these are just for the newer firmware.

I changed the X-Y-XE0-E1 to DVR8825 and removed the ‘//’ infront of it
I also changed //define SDCARD_CONNECTION to ONBOARD and removed the ‘//’ infront of it

I’m building it now. And then test it.

Your second reply, do I need to do anything?

The Build was succesfull but I’m only seeing 2 LED’s again and no SD card on my laptop.
Do I need to set the serial port to -1?

Yes.

I’m not really sure. I hope not.

Hmmm. I think it should be X2 ans Y2, not E0 and E1.

Do the leds have any writing next to them? I’m not sure what they would be for.

To get the sdcard to work on my skr v1.3, I had to also disable the LCD. I wouldn’t worry about it now, because once it is otherwise working, you won’t need it.

I did eveything, but still no luck.

I also changed back: //#define SDCARD_CONNECTION LCD
Does this mather? I have no LCD yet. I ordered one.

Yest the LED’s have writings on them:

This is with all the LED’s on (when I flash with the MKS_Sbase firmware)

And When I flash with the Rambo_Dual only the outer 2 LED’s are on (D1 and D7).

Here is some information about the LED’s:

Quote from the answer in the above link:
one is for USB ACTIVE (if you disable USB HOST it should be darkened),one for USB POWER, two for PWM 0 and 1 and last one… I don’t know.

When you put the serial port to - 1, you still weren’t able to connect via pronterface at 250k?

From the schematic, it looks like these (led 2,3,4) are directly controlled by the firmware. I don’t know what purpose they serve. It may just be that the new firmware uses them and the old ones didn’t (so they were just on).

https://github.com/makerbase-mks/MKS-SBASE/blob/master/English/Hardware/MKS%20SBASE%20V1.3_002%20SCH.pdf

I would really focus on getting that serial port and pronterface working. If you can do that, you’ll have a huge step done. The rest is probably NBD.

Well What the ****
It’s working, it does connect and the dual steppers are working!

This is really great!

Cool!

The Z-axis seems like it’s going a bit slow, and it sound different than the X and Y axis. I don’t known if this is good or not. It’s make a ticking sound, like it’s obstructed or something

Maybe it’s oke I don’t know…

After you have it moving with pronterface, continue the checkout steps. If you command a 10mm Z+ move. It should rise 10mm. 10+X should go right and 10+Y should go away.

Yes I will check later or tomorrow, it seems like it is working fine.
I can imagine the Z is making some different noises because of the ball shaft.
I just made my first drawing with my MPCNC and it turned out oke!