Makita router collet suggestions

Hey guys, so I’ve got an RT0701C Makita router on my cnc that I’m trying to determine my options on collets for. I recently got a unique bit that has a 10mm shank diameter which will not fit the stock collet. I’ve spent 10 min so far looking everywhere I can think for a 10mm collet for the router but not seeing anything. I can’t be the only person who’s wanted to use a larger diameter bit in the Makita router right? I’m hoping someone has some advice on what I should do. Is there really a 10mm collet I can get to us the bit or do I need to look for a different option? Either a smaller diameter bit or change out the end of the router to accept a different type of collet that will have a 10mm option available?

Beyond 1/8" and 3mm, the only collets I’ve seen sold are here, and the largest they provide is 8mm.

yeah, thats what I’ve been seeing too :frowning: I think I’ll just try to find a different sized bit and consider this one a loss as I think its incredibly unlikely I’ll ever find someone who would buy it from me lol Thanks for sharing your input @robertbu .

1 Like

Over my time on this forum, I’ve seen a few people use adaptors for changing size. I’ve seen a couple of different configurations including this one. And once you’ve converted from 1/4" shank to ER16, there is world of cheap collets available. The problem with adaptors is they often introduce more runout, and they reduce the amount of working space on the Z axis.

1 Like

robertbu is correct.
Having used metal lathes, mills, assorted machinery over the years, “cheap” is almost always bad. The ER series collets have been around a long time, and are very accurate and standardized. Sleeves and even “router specific” collets options are many times very bad on run-out and being concentric. I have some 15 different routers/brands, a few use similar collets, most are very different. The advantage to the Makita style collet is that it is shared with die grinders, and hand held flex shaft tools, so there are more options then just router collets. The ER16 collets are a good option, but any change in the collet system can and will change your depth of cut and clearances.

I found myself with the same problem and the solution I adopted are these bits: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B09G9C43Q2/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B09G9C43Q2&pd_rd_w=s8T8o&content-id=amzn1.sym.7d53b420-4ab4-47bf-9f3c-0af37b169282&pf_rd_p=7d53b420-4ab4-47bf-9f3c-0af37b169282&pf_rd_r=RB1QQVC298WMZ06P87ZH&pd_rd_wg=7js82&pd_rd_r=4c971a26-a97a-413d-aa4f-0d90bc75bbbd&s=industrial&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw.
The main reason is that diameters greater than 6 (or 1/4 ") do not enterf far enough into the collet to remain stable.

RT0701C sólo posee adaptadores oficiales para 8mm(763618-5), 6mm(763636-3) y 6.35mm(763637-1?). Existen de otros fabricantes sabiendo que como máximo tendrás de 8mm de vástago. Si quieres trabajar otras medidas compatibles con la RT0701C buscar “Collets ER11”.
En mi caso, casi todas mis fresas son de 6 u 8mm, suelo trabajar con la marca CMT que se compra en tienda local, vivo en Canarias.

Perdón, no escribo bien en inglés.

No problem, online translate works:

"RT0701C only has official adapters for 8mm(763618-5), 6mm(763636-3) and 6.35mm(763637-1?). There are other manufacturers knowing that you will have a maximum of 8mm stem. If you want to work with other sizes compatible with the RT0701C, search for “ER11 Collets”.
In my case, almost all my drills are 6 or 8mm, I usually work with the CMT brand that is bought in a local store, I live in the Canary Islands.

Sorry, I don’t write well in English."

Use a lot of CMT bits myself

1 Like