Makita router mount & dust boot - now on Thingiverse

Yep, should be easy to make adapter rings that you can clamp in for both pen and laser. :slight_smile:

Thanks alot! Now I’ve printed the mount, and it seems great! Seems rigid, and even closer to the z rails than the one I already got.

When closing the clamp it seemed quite well fitting - until I realized that there is a small ridge that seems like it’s supposed to fit inside a recess on the router side. I found out that it fits perfectly - but then the clamp has no clamping force! Is there someting I have missed? I don’t want to complain, I’ll just shim the insides with some duct tape - but when everything is so well fitting otherwise, it makes me wonder if I lost a step.

Video here: https://gofile.io/?c=xvPRlp

BTW - how do I easily add a video to the forum, without another platform??

You can upload them, but I usually upload it to google photos, and then click the special button for sharing via a link. When I paste the link here, discord is nice enough to make it look like it was uploaded here. Similar story with youtube videos.

The solution might be to resize the pieces between the clamp and the main piece by .5mm. They were too short before so I lengthened them but it might have been too much.

I added 3 sizes of cam connectors as “test pieces” to the thingiverse page.
The longest one is the one you’re already using, so you can just print the S and M sized ones, and then test which gives you the best closing force without being too difficult. I suspect it’s just variance in our printers.

I think I see what happened. I made the clamp too tight for my test print, so made longer cam connector bars, resized the published clamp front and back but posted the longer bars instead of the regular sized ones. The S should be the right one but if it’s too tight use the M instead. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nope, it’s worse than that. :frowning: I think the front half alignment is off. I apologize. I think you’ve already got the shortest cam arm now. I’ll make a couple shorter ones for you and update the front piece for future users.

Okay, done. You can print the cam connectors for 1.1 now, they should fix your clamping issue and I replaced the front piece with a 1.2 for future downloaders. :slight_smile:

I printed the first clamp updates sunday morning! I was very eager, so I took the z-mount apart and screwed on your mount - without testing the clamps… when the whole thing was assembled, I realized that the new clamps were the same size as the old :slight_smile: aanyyways, the PLA I’m using ATM is really crappy, your mount cracked in 2-3 places when I tried to screw them on the tubes. Sooo, to make a long story short - the whole print was ruined, and I ended up with the old tool mount. I guess I’ll leave it like it is, and wait to see what Ryan will show us!! Anyways, thank you very much for your effort, I appreciate it!

Okay then. Buy less crappy filament for structure components. :smiley:

I got a 3kg spool for my everyday prints, for convenience. Clearly not the right type for structural parts indeed…