Marlin 2.0 - How to disable Z homing when auto home initiated?

Hi there, I don’t have a limit switch on my Z axis, how do I disable the Z axis from homing when I send an auto-home command from Repetier or Lightburn? I just want X and Y axis to auto home. Thanks in advance!

Iz

I’m away from my MPCNC, so I cannot test anything, but according to the popup tip for LightBurn, the home button under the laser control just homes X and Y. There is an auto-home in LightBurn that homes when the software is started, but it can be disabled. On Repetier-Host there are buttons for homing just X and just Y. Plus you could add homing code to a custom button that does both X and Y but not Z. So from a practical point, there are already ways to home just X and Y.

But for safety reasons, you may want to prevent any Z homing in case you hit the wrong button. If you have a touch plate installed you can just make it a habit of clipping the alligator clip to the plate when you finish with it. Without a touch plate, you can put a jumper across the ‘-’ and the ‘s’ pins for the Z minus endstop on the control board. Or you can change the following line to be false in configuration.h and reflash the firware:

#define Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true

Any of these three methods makes Marlin think that there is a triggered endstop switch for Z when it tries to home Z. It will back off a few mm for a retest and then stop This will prevent your tool from crashing into your work. It will leave the stepper engaged though.

What I did with Marlin was define a custom menu item for homing only X and Y. It sent the code

G28 X Y

which basically says home X and Y only.

Using the “Auto Home” in the “Movement” menu on the LCD will attempt to home all 3 axes. I didn’t see an easy way to change that, since it’s just part of the standard menu screen.

Edit: And I keep the touch plate with the clip on the plate, and then have a magnet on the side of the machine that the clip is always stuck to when I’m not using the touch plate.

1 Like

I disabled Z homing in the marlin code for my MPCNC, let me see if I can find the post…

Edit: found it:

1 Like

Thanks! So I’ve looked at that file and that code exactly like as you listed isn’t how it looks on my Marlin code. I’ll post how it looks on mine shortly.

I have Z disabled in Lightburn and I can confirm that the Home button under the laser control does indeed home my Z as well when I home X and Y. It moves the Z up only a few mm then homes X and Y and them proceeds to lower Z until it crashes into my work.

Are there buttons for homing X and Y alone? This seems like something that could be fixed in lightburn.

This sounds like a bug in LightBurn. I don’t use LightBurn as a g-code sender, so I’ve not had this issue. I don’t find any clean workarounds. It is possible to add start code to files, so you could add your X and Y homing to the start of each file. The three methods I list above will prevent the crashing, but the Z height will move slightly, and the Z stepper will be engaged after homing. If you have a display on your machine, you can use it for homing X and Y and avoid LightBurn’s Home. All ugly choices.

Edit: BTW, you can setup LightBurn so that your cutting is relative to the workpiece. It avoids the whole homing issue.

Yeah, I did this 3 years ago, there have probably been a bunch of updates to the code since then.
Just search for those 2 blocks of code, they should still be around somewhere :slight_smile: