Marlin + RAMPS 1.4 + BL Touch is seemingly impossible to bed leveling

No. I can not get the BL Touch working. Same issues.

Took a break from it before I took a hammer to the thing out of frustration. I will try again tomorrow. May swap out the Mega and Ramps board tomorrow to see if that helps. I am wondering if it is a Marlin 2.x bug now.

There’s no reason you can’t try 1.1x. 2.0 is a moving target and even though 2.0 works on my machine, it’s not the same by several months.

OK guys. I messed around with firmware again this past weekend and things have only gotten worse.

Now, my X and Y endstops are not working when homing. They function when doing M119 commands (show triggering), but homing the X and Y with G28 just leaves everything crashing and grinding against the endstops. What the hell? Instead of getting close with the BL Touch, I have now taken two steps backwards!

I tried reverting to previous versions (replaced the config files with the ones I had uploaded here actually with working endstops). That didn’t work. After jacking around for 2 more days with firmware and nothing working I went extreme and completely replaced the controller (Mega + Ramps 1.4 board) with some extras I had in my shop. Still nothing. The only thing I can think of is the Marlin 2.X version must be buggy as hell with an Arduino + RAMPS 1.4 board as an controller, so perhaps I could try a Marlin 1.X flavor instead.

I have no idea what to tweak now in the Marlin firmware as I have spent over a month trying every combination possible and reflashing without ever being able to do even a simple test print from the damn machine.

This is my second MPCNC build. My first MPCNC was a dedicated router using an Arduino GRBL controller that never cut accurately. My first MPCNC was so bad that I just started saving up for a Shapeoko from Carbide 3d. I finally gave up on it and recycled the conduit and motors into this build after it just took up room in my shop for years. Instead of buying a router (which I now regret even more), I decided to give the MPCNC one more try and used the money to remodel my entire shop + build new tools including this MPCNC based 3D printer.

My first build and now this one is why I originally mentioned lighting it on fire and pushing it out of shop in a blaze of glory. I have never had a functioning MPCNC in my shop.

If anyone has any idea of what to try now, then I am all ears!!! HELP!!!

Ok, take a breath. This sucks. Something is really wrong here. Software is dumb. It’s not magic and if you revert your changes, it will be exactly the same. So something else is wrong here.

The MPCNC is a good starter cnc machine, and I can’t really help you get accuracy out of your first machine now.

As a 3D printer, it is advanced. You need to have a good deal of fixing experience to get it working. There is only so much I can do from here. Your fingers, eyes, ears, and keyboard are not available to me.

It’s also not fair to blame the platform. The platforn is just listeneing to where the steppers move it. The ramps, marlin, and your changes are not part of the platform.

To be fair, I think you’re doing a good job describing what’s going on, but I only have the info you’ve given me and it sounds like either your ramps, arduino, bltouch, or marlin install are broken. The Marlin we can look at, but some piece of hardware may be broken. I suspect it’s the 3Dtouch.

What I would do from here is start from a much simpler place. I would start from scratch with Marlin from Ryan. Something from the release pages, for the mpcnc, with the mk8 extruder. I would even start with single endstops. Get some sure footing where you can check the parts and features one at a time and save and take copious notes and pictures as you’re going along.

You should be prepared to need some new parts. I am very suspicious of your bltouch.

1 Like

Thanks, Jeffeb3. Apologies for ranting. My builds seemed to be cursed software wise.

I really want the MPCNC to work (it is just too cool not to get working). This project has now become a major bottleneck for every other project I have going on and I don’t know what else to do with it. I am seriously behind schedule now. So not trashing the platform - just my luck with getting the hardware actually running. The ghost of my first build are screaming in my head now that this big beast has gone crazy after being so close at one point.

I am going to just start over now with electronics since I have a new Mega + RAMPS 1.4 board installed.
1). Take a breath.
2). Put down the lighter & gasoline (totally joking)
3). Triple check my wiring again
3). Double check the physical limit switches with a meter
4). Start over with a clean Marlin 2.x build from Ryan (RAMPS 32step dual end stop)
5). Get G28 XY working
6). Test G28 Z
7a). IF G28 Z test works —> attempt auto leveling of bed
7b). IF G28 Z test doesn’t work —> order a new BL Touch for Amazon

2 Likes

I have been trying to fix my build this week since the holidays gave me a break from work.

1). I checked all wiring again on the printer itself and the RAMPS controller.
2). Checked that end stop limit switches worked with a meter.
3). Swapped out the Mega + RAMPS 1.4 boards
4). Started over with a clean Marlin build from Ryan (Marlin 2.x current build on Git).

This finally got the end stops working again with M119 echoing the correct states for the physical end stops.

The BL Touch is responding now, but the G28 XY command is still just plowing into the end stops on the Y axis. Makes it kinda hard to auto level bed if the printer can’t even find “home” at the moment.

I uploaded pics of the end stops. I also included a quick video showing the behavior I see with G28 commands:

The config and adv config files are located here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ztQet4GpS7qpuKjg5S7ckcrJMbPMolsT/view?usp=sharing

If I could only get everything to work at the same time.

I have no idea why those powered endstops are always a hassle.

So at this point G28 X, and G28 Z work? And you have the same settings and wiring for X and Y?

You really should just bypass the electronics and use the switches, those work great and have zero issues.

I am not using them as powered endstops.

Only the S and G are connected on the RAMPS 1.4 board, I just didn’t clip the factory wiring on the connectors that came with the end stops (sorry didn’t post a pic of the controller board so its misleading).

Just bizarre that I can either get the G28 XY working without G28 Z working OR vice versa. I have been messing around with it a little but no luck still. I just reverted back to my G28 X + G28 Z working without Y build and have pushed the MPCNC aside for the past week or two since I have no idea how to fix it.

I still can not get xy + z to all home at the same time. Since I have messed around with Marlin for months now and completely swapped out the controller already, I am thinking of trying something besides a Mega + RAMPS now to get my big printer printing.

Has anyone else tried a different controller with good results?

itsalive_02
IT’S IS FINALLY WORKING!!! Thanks Ryan and Jeff for being so helpful and patient with me on this build’s Marlin issues.

Took loads of hardware and firmware tweaking, but my MPCNC large format 3D printer is homing and auto leveling with the BL TOUCH now! Woot!

Debugging G-Code from Prusaslicer now to get my first “benchy” test print from it. Once it is printing, I will post the modified Marlin build based on Ryan’s build (NOT the Dual endstop flavor), G-code and settings from Prusaslicer, and a listing of the hardware I have configured/running. Maybe that will help save some months of trial and error for others.

Fingers crossed I can get body parts for my electric motorcycle printing soon!

2 Likes

Hello,
it would be fine if you can upload your firmware or the way how you get every thing working.
I have the same problem at the moment can not get the dual Endstops and Bl touch to work.
I dobble checket the firmware even with complyt new firmware from git Hub the endstops did´n work.

In the process of refining things and don’t want to share firmware until it works perfectly for others.

To get the BL Touch to run in Marlin 2.X firmware, I had to use the regular firmware build by Ryan and NOT the dual endstop version. I could never get it to work consistently with the dual-endstop version, but did it get working most of the time with the regular build so start there for sure.

At present, the cheap Chinese Mk 8 extruder I was using kept slipping on filament so I upgraded to a Titan Aero clone. Since I had to rewire things for the new printhead anyway, I tore the build down to add drag chains, increase the height, and clean up all the wiring. I have most of the printer back together now and just have a little wiring left on the new print head. As soon as I get hardware finished again, I will jump back into firmware and retest my previous builds. If they are stable then I will post it here.

Also, I built an adjustable bed to manually level things before starting to auto level with the BL Touch. The manual leveling worked well enough that I haven’t reinstalled the BL Touch with the Titan Aero extruder yet.

My bed is built from aluminum tubing, a sheet of MD, and a sheet of glass with large leveling knobs to make easy adjustments. Works well so far and allows me to easily add two 500x500mm heating pads to it in the future for a heated bed. If anyone is interested I can post the .STL’s, parts list, and pictures of the bed design I have here.

Thank you.
now its working just fine with my mpcnc 3d printer and UBL Badlevleing with an Bl touch.

Awesome! Are you using the Dual Endstop flavor of Ryan’s Marlin build?

I may need to get a copy of your firmware configuration instead, ha ha.

No, i just use a singel endstop firmware now and only one x and y endstop. I have not dismountet the mount for the second endstop and can check the squareness so manually. otherwise it don´t work. I also have to skip the Z safe homing feacher otherwise it also not work it set the home x y then also in the middle and then the bedsized are not correct anymore and the steppers crash against the end of the maschien.