Marlin version

I’m running out of ideas.

Do you have the screen wired up correctly?

Can you try the blink example (File->Examples->01.Basics->blink)? It should blink the onboard LED on D13. I would disconnect the RAMPS board before running the blink. I don’t know if it has anything connected to D13 or not.

The simple answer is that it replaces the previous code, it doesn’t add it. The arduino only runs one program (that is an oversimplification that is ignoring the bootloader, but you are replacing whatever software was there before.

You might also try to connect the USB to your computer, and connect using repetier host (250000 speed) and see if that works, which would tell you the program is installed, and maybe the screen just isn’t working.

Try switching the cables on lcd, if you have them backwards you can get light but no display. If you didn’t get the screen from me you could also be having contrast issues, turn it up, or down if you can see the letters only at an extreme angle you need to add a resistor.

Thanks for the ideas I will give them a try in the morning. My brain is frazzled!!!
I will let you both know the outcome

Thanks again for all the help

good morning

Blink worked as it should.
turned around cables screen back light was off and I could not see anything when tilting with cables either way.
turning up the contrast makes the square dots on screen darker and lighter.
the only reason I have not got the ones from you is I’m in the uk. the delivery cost is the reason I sourced the parts locally. thinking that may of been a mistake now though :frowning:

the screen I’m using is made by SINTRON. is this the same make as you supply?
I’m thinking that maybe its that is what I’m having probs with.

to make things worse the postman has just delivered 5 nice new shiny stepper motors :-(((

I looked up sintron lcd and it seems like the right one.

Have a look at this, http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?13,448609

Every once and a while I get a batch that need resistors, but usually you can kinda see the letters at an angle.

Ok thanks for that. Of to eBay I go.
Fingers crossed if not I will just get the 4 line lcd.

Try a resistor before you spend money on a new LCD.

You can use it without the LCD. Just controlling it directly from repetier or pronterface.

sorry did not word that right. iv ordered resistor from ebay.
iv read a bit about repetier and pronterface will have to go and have a look for the downloads and try one of them.
witch one would you say is easier to use? remember I’m now to this :wink:

My guides are written for repetier I would start with that for sure.

R

Ahhhhhhhhhhh iv been on night shift, just finished today and the resistor has just turned up, Happy days
NO looks like I ordered 220 not 270s. do you think this will work or do you think I should re order the right ones?

Ok I decided to go for a drive and pick the right reisitor. Just soldered in on and this is what happens when I turn up and down the contrast.
No text just 2 lines top and middle.
Iv still got the plastic film on the screen.
Any ideas?
Does anybody know of a different download for the mega, ramps and lcd so I can test the screen that way? Just trying to think outside the box

Maybe I screwed up the custom version I made just for you. Why don’t you try the firmware everybody else uses and verify it isn’t just the firmware. Use the one that says “fullG” in the title.

Ok will give that a go once the kids are in bed.
Thank you for the help :slight_smile:

I honestly have not got a clue how I did it but it’s up and running :slight_smile:
Thank you so much.
Iv got the last bit printing now so all I need to buy is the tube then get building

Hello guys!
First of all: fantastic work, great design… congratulations!!
I have one question: I plan to build this machine, or at least I hope it will look like this, can you please tell me if there is support for SD card? What I mean is when printing there is an option “Print from SD card” if one is using this combo ramps+LCD+SD card. When milling, this option is still active?
Thank you very much!

Hi Eugen360,

Welcome to the MPCNC community.
I have recently completed my machine and it was great fun.
Am enjoying learning how to control it and making a real dusty mess.

Yes. There is support for an SD card, if you buy the Reprap Discount Full Graphic smart controller (or an equivalent).
This has a larger screen than most common displays, a rotary/push switch to step through the menus, a buzzer and a ‘kill’ switch. It usually arrives with twin cables but make sure you get the small adapter which plugs into the RAMPS board and provides the necessary twin sockets for the cables. The controller also has an SD card socket on its underside, near the board edge. See photos below.

And, Yes. The option ‘Print from SD card’ is available when CNCing, as well as when 3D printing. Both processes read the gcode file that you will have saved to the SD card.

Good luck and enjoy it all.

John

Hi John,
Thank you very much for your answer, much appreciate it!