Marquee Letters Build Advice

So I have to make these light up marquee letters for my wedding in October at the request of the fiancé. These type of things always take longer than I expect so I better get started on them now…

I can handle the drawings, hole layouts, design, and cutting on the Primo but I am kind of at a hold on this before I have even started because I am not sure what material to use here. I’d like to stay away from wood if at all possible, unless its just obviously the best option. Reason being that it weighs more and I presume that would cost more than other options.

I am thinking some type of foam board? Like U-Line Foam Core Board? And that would just be for the back of the letter, I am not sure what to use the wrap around edge of the letters and give it that enclosure. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this or suggestions on what I could use?

2 Likes

The big boys use machined aluminum and steel cut on specialized machines. They also a bespoke program to design all the crazy cuts for bends of the steel. Really cool.

If your considering foam core then this must be a lightweight, one time use situation. Why not go with thick poster paper for the walls? Cut it into strips and it should hold the bends well.

Are these a long-time item the fiance is going to want to keep and cherish the rest of your life? Or are these throw-away items?

If the first, then I’d used white acrylic. I’d use a thicker acrylic for the back pieces and then I’d use a thin acrylic for the sides. The thinner material would bend pretty easily and you could glue it with acrylic glue.

If the later, then I’d use foam board from the dollar store for the back and use plain poster board for the edges. Give it a coat of thinned PVA glue to seal the paper and then paint it with spray paint.

2 Likes

Yep, this would be temporary so I am not looking for anything too serious with any longevity. Some type of foam board is definitely the play here I think. And then some type of cardstock material to wrap around the edges.

Just needed the opinion of this well rounded forum before I pulled the trigger on this. Thanks guys.

2 Likes

The purple HD foam is a bit stronger. Although I am not certain how you could paint it. The thickness might give you something more to attach the rim too (they are about an inch thick). It mills great.

None of those things are expensive and even the fails would teach you a bunch. Give it a shot.

2 Likes

Kills water base primer and most probably any good water base will probably work well on the foam board

2 Likes

Gloss white primer for the purple foam board will work fine, and carpenter’s glue for poster board to hold the sides on will work well.

You can use leftover foam board to make forms to clamp the poster board to the sides, by making a negative shape of the letter sides so that you can clamp the paper in, that will also help hold it square.

3 Likes

As @timonjkl has said, any water base paint will work. I cut a Viking ship and shields out of that foam (got it from Lowes so it was green) and we used regular house latex paint on them. Held up great. DO NOT use any spray paint…it will eat the foam right up!

3 Likes

There is some Instructables on making marquee letters, might be good to read some to see different way of doing it.
I found that one i would probably follow if i had to make some someday :

You can replace their hand power tools parts by cnc jobs.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Is the purple HD foam sold in hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot) or something more like an arts and crafts store (Michaels)?

The sheets I know about are sold at the local hardware box stores:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-FOAMULAR-150-1-1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-7-5-Scored-Squared-Edge-Rigid-Foam-Board-Insulation-Sheathing-88WD/202085958

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GreenGuard-GreenGuard-LG-2-X4-X-8-XPS-Insulation-Board/5001939777

Here are 2 links. Don’t mind the cost as that is for the thicker 4x8 sheets. It comes in varying thickness, and in some cases, you can get smaller lengths/widths. For the Viking ship, I used 1" thick sheets.

1 Like

Perfect, might stop by this weekend and give this a try. Ill report back with how this turns out.

1 Like

The foam board I was referring to is a lot thinner. It’s foam with a layer of paper on both sides used for arts and crafts. It’s sold at craft stores. I’ve also bought it at dollar store.

I used to use it for making RC airplanes.

2 Likes

I have a bunch of the Dollar store foam, I use it for various things. It’s 1/4" thick, a little hard to edge glue.

I also have the Home Despot purple stuff, comes in 2’ by 8’ sheets. Sold as insulation. I usually get 1/2" thick, but comes up to 2" I am using one piece (for example) to insulate the bottom of my printer heated bed. It’s also great for test cuts on the CNC because it cuts easily and cleanly. It’s easier to edge glue because it’s thicker.

3 Likes