Matticustard's Musings (continued) - Virtual Pinball Machines!

Hey Matticustard! To achieve that look on the back of your pin, did you just shoot it with paint, skipping primer? Or is that a stain of sorts? I REALY like that appearance!

Minwax Ebony #2718 — Penetrating Stain

Thanks! But if I’m being completely honest, it was simply much faster and easier to wipe on a bit of stain than to paint those parts. It just happened to turn out looking pretty good too. And it helps that the cheap 5mm underlayment had a decent grain.

I can’t remember if I conditioned them first, but judging from my poor removal of the sticker and some splotches, I’m guessing not. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I’m loving it! Thanks for the info! I’m definitely gonna try this myself because I do love the woodgrain showing through on the back pieces anyway. Most of my arcade machines that I’ve built, I’ve primed and painted the entire thing with no visible woodgrain at all. Always LOOKS smooth, but also can make it look ‘fake’ or ‘cheap’ in a way… It’s hard to explain my logic there lmao

You do amazing work as always, and your thread has helped me convince my wife we NEED a pin. So thank you for that as well! haha

1 Like

Awesome! Can’t wait to see it!