Matticustard's Musings - Large Format (67"x48") Wall Art

I made this a while ago and never got around to posting, but it caught my eye earlier today and I thought I’d share. I had needed something to fill a fairly large wall space and couldn’t find anything I liked to purchase. It doesn’t have quite the flair as some of my projects, but it has become a part of the home. Don’t mind the dust…

It’s huge, at 67"x48", with the attached cherry frame. It’s made from two separately milled halves, joined with a plywood backing, and has a French cleat for hanging as it’s far too heavy to hang by normal means. It was finished with a variety of oil paints, both sprayed and sponged on.

The Design
I’ve had good luck with Etsy.

The Tool
I used a monster bit, but I’m sure you could use something smaller and cheaper. It just might take longer.

16 Likes

Wow! How long was the mill time on that?

1 Like

It’s been a while, but I would guess 6-8 hours per side (half).

I’m sure there are no shortage of opinions on this, but I have installed a number of turret cams in my garage and am able to monitor my machines from my desk with both video and audio. I also have 6 monitors, so there is no shortage of space to always keep this in the foreground if a machine is running.

I work from home and am in front of my computer the vast majority of the day, most days, which means lots of time to mill. I can also control the machines remotely with v1pi and CNCJS. But if there is ever an issue, the garage is only 20 feet away.

I also have a fire extinguisher at the ready, and heat sensors in the garage that are connected to the monitored alarm system.

11 Likes

That just knocked my socks off!

Super impressive, I have been dying to do something big like that. Thank you so much for sharing that.

2 Likes

As an alternative to a vector file purchased from Etsy, I’ll piont out that Sandify will generate svg files, so it should be possible to create your own unique designs…

3 Likes

Absolutely, and thanks for pointing that out.

As for myself, I am proficient with Illustrator, so I could totally create my own unique designs or trace existing images to vectors. But sometimes I find something I already like. And there was still a fair amount of design work that went into preparing the halves for milling.

3 Likes

That’s just COOL!

I was at the MOMA in NYC once and one of the exhibits was tacks in a wall strung with elastic string. :roll_eyes: I think MOMA should be monitoring some of the very creative people in these forums! :grinning:

2 Likes

Well one thing is certain. I cannot EVER let my wife see your posts. :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

Your work amazes me. Everything you make comes out so flawless. You must have some extreme patience for sure.

3 Likes