Maximum Spindle Weight

Hi, my spindle that I’ve been using for about a week gave out today after I may have pushed it slightly to far for a 60 usd spindle (this one https://www.banggood.com/ER11-Chuck-CNC-500W-Spindle-Motor-with-52mm-Clamps-and-Power-Supply-Speed-Governor-p-1027937.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN), I am wanting either to fix it or purchase a new spindle and am curious about this one which is more expencive but hopefully much more reliable (https://www.banggood.com/1_5KW-Air-Cooled-CNC-Spindle-Motor-for-CNC-Router-110220V-p-1299979.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN), it says though that it is 3.5 kg, is this to much for the mpcnc to handle if not has anyone got experience with this spindle or a suggested one that I buy (taking into account that I live in Iceland so the DW660 is a pain to acquire)?

Thanks in advance

Look for an 800 watt version, or one that has 5 wires instead of 3.

Hi,

i’m using a 800W water cooled spindle. Much quieter then the air cooled and no way to get some dust inside.

If’ i remeber right the weight of the spindle is ~3,5 Kg. Works fine on my MPCN.

[attachment file=108005]
After added earth (original the 4 th Pin wasn’t connected!)

[attachment file=108006]
First test run and run in the bearings as mentioned on the sticker at the houing

[attachment file=108007]
First movements on the MPCNC to check if all Axis works fine with the weight.

Regards Stephan

2 Likes

Hello Stephan, can you share a link to your so I can compare options?

Thanks! Bill

I’d use a lower pitch Z lead screw, I have the 800W 65mm version of this (~3kg) and it won’t stay up without motor power with the current 8 mm pitch 4 start screw, going to replace it with a 4mm pitch 2 start one soon (this way the axis is still snappy at 400 pulses / mm, but won’t drop when I cut the power)

Greetings, i have the same motor and the same dropping problem. Have you tried the 2 start lead screw yet, and if so did you change any settings.
Thanks, Rooster

If you change to a 1 start leadscrew, you need to 4x the steps/mm and 0.25x the Z max speed in the firmware, and in CAM. 2 starts are 2x, 0.5x.

Hello, so i happen to have a 2 start screw and nut on hand. Would that mean i would use 2x steps/mm and .125x Z max speed. Also when you say Z max speed is that Default_max_acceleration or Default_max_feedrate.
Thanks for the help Jeffeb3

A 2 start leadscrew (assuming the same pitch) would be 2x steps/mm and 0.5x max speed. In the firmware it is feedrate. But also check that you aren’t going too fast on Z in estlcam (or whatever cam you use).

Greetings again, i am using Vcarve desktop for making 3d carvings. The 2 start lead screw seems too be working now, trying too figure out the best plunge rate on Vcarve.
It would be nice to talk to others with 800w water cooled spindles with VFD’s and using Vectric Vcarve.
Thanks again for your help.

Hi Jeff, I am just prepping for using a spindle and found this. I used the pre-installed firmware for my LR2 and while I have done a little Arduino stuff, flashing the Rambo is new to me. Also customizing the Marlin firmware. Should I go for a two lead starter screw foe the Z-axis, are these the values I have to change in the configuration.h?

//=============================================================================
//============================== Movement Settings ============================
//=============================================================================
// @section motion
/**
 * Default Axis Steps Per Unit (steps/mm)
 * Override with M92
 *                                      X, Y, Z, E0 [, E1[, E2...]]
 */
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   { 100, 100, 400, 100 }

/**
 * Default Max Feed Rate (mm/s)
 * Override with M203
 */
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE          { 50, 50, 15, 25 }

//#define LIMITED_MAX_FR_EDITING        // Limit edit via M203 or LCD to DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE * 2
#if ENABLED(LIMITED_MAX_FR_EDITING)
  #define MAX_FEEDRATE_EDIT_VALUES    { 600, 600, 10, 50 } // ...or, set your own edit limits
#endif

/**
 * Default Max Acceleration (change/s) change = mm/s
 * (Maximum start speed for accelerated moves)
 * Override with M201
 */
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION      { 180, 180, 80, 180 }

So changing from a 4 start lead screw to a 2 start lead screw, I would change:
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 100, 100, 400, 100 }
to
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 100, 100, 800, 100 }
doubling the steps per mm.

And then also the max feed rate from
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE { 50, 50, 15, 25 }
to
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE { 50, 50, 7.5, 25 }
cutting the max feed rate in half.

Is this correct as far as you know?

Thanks

That is correct. There is a other layer here though. These settings change the “default” value. You can change the value while it is running by sending different gcode commands. When you change them, you can save them for next time by saving them to the “eeprom”. The next time Marlin boots, it will read the values from the eeprom.

So:

1. You can change these values without flashing the rambo. M92 changes steps/unit, for example. When you get those how you like you can save them with M500 to eeprom and they will stay there until you change them again.
  2. Or, If you change the default values in the config file and flash, the new settings won’t be used. You need to restore the defaults with M502. If you like those, you need to save those too, with M500.

Lol, I started reading your answer and was “good, that’s it” but the second part confused me again. I guess I’ll just try when I get there.

Where is a good place to get a leadscrew? I have terrible luck getting quality parts off of Amazon when it comes to linear rails, leadscrew, etc

It is easier than I’m making it sound.

I found 300mm T8 lead screws with 4, 2, and 1 start on Amazon.

Another option maybe a stronger Nema motor with holding power would do it too.

I got some from Thomson Linear Motion about 6 months ago, not chip but great quality.