May have gotten a little carried away.

Thanks for the inspiration! I’m amazed what I can crank out on my “makeshift” table… that thing is going to be awesome!

Also, thanks to your imagery, just realized I could run cables through the x-axis tubes. I have them plopped on my V-channel along with power cords and vacuum hose, but inside the tube looks like a better option!

I was lusting over this table just last week on your youtube video, bravo, and thanks for the model, i’ll probably shamelessly copy it all!

1 Like

Time for an update:

[attachment file=121930]
[attachment file=121931]
[attachment file=121932]
[attachment file=121933]
I’ve finally got things working to the point I can hit start and walk away. I set a timer in my phone and come back to a finished job. It took getting dust collection working to the point that I don’t get tons of PVC shavings all over the machine. It would cling with static to the stainless rods and blow all over the side rails to the point that it threw the wheels off. I started out using a JET dust collector that claimed to have 1200 CFM, but the static pressure was so low it was ineffective. Now I’m using a Festool vacuum that has great static pressure.
I made a new base plate for the router that is extended in the back to allow for a larger vacuum hole. The blue hose is a Home Depot pool cleaner hose, a little heavy but $30 bucks for 30 feet of hose. I made fittings for each end that thread on the hose. The brush is from a door sweep also from Home Depot, not perfect yet but version 2 should be pretty good. Also, there is a 1/4" clear plastic hose connected to a copper tube that blows under the router to help keep the cutting path clear. I blow about 50 lbs of air usually. The wood trough on the floor does a good job of keeping the hose corralled.

6 Likes

Per request, here are more drawings of this table. DXF files and PDF.LowRider Table drawings.zip (256.1 KB)
My assembly procedure was as follows:
Placed 3 sawhorses spaced out to match the length of the table.
Screwed 2x4’s to the horses wide enough to catch the table top.
Placed a full sheet of 1/2" mdf on the 2x4’s and leveled in both directions with shims between the 2x4’s and the mdf.
Assembled the grid on top of the leveled mdf making sure the grid was square. Applied glue to top of grid and placed another sheet of mdf on top of the grid. (slightly oversized to allow triming)
Quickly screwed the top sheet to the grid and let dry overnight.
Turned the whole shebang over and glued the other sheet of mdf to the grid, checking for level again.
Let dry overnight.
Flush trimmed the mdf to the grid.
Added the rails using glue and deck screws.

This thing is unbelievably strong. It hasn’t sagged half a mm since construction. My first time building a torsion box table and will be my default from now on.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update Kenny. The torsion box is a pretty neat thing and new idea for me too but I’ve been impressed with the results. I like what you’ve done with your power cords and vacuum hose, I’ve been looking at people’s builds trying to see different ways to manage those.

I’ve been wanting to get the dust collection stuff up so here goes. See Thing#4078803. I modified Ryan’s 611 base plate, extending the back a little to allow for a larger vacuum hose opening. I used a Home Depot Pool Hose. SKU# 572118 1.5" x 35’ for $41.98. The vacuum plate can be printed in one piece with no supports and the threaded hose adapter is glued and screwed together using #7 flat head screws and superglue. I put one screw through the adapter and into the hose to keep it orientated so the loop will stay consistant. The 58mm adapter for the other end is to fit a Festool vacuum. This thing has huge static pressure and really does a lot to improve collection. I also have a 1/4" clear tube ran along the hose to a copper tube zip tied to the X stepper. This blows (usually 50psi) air under the plate and helps keep the bit clear and cool. I don’t have a picture of that right now. The brushes are a work in progress. Just a door sweep from Home Desperate removed from it’s aluminum strip and stuck in the piece of walnut.

5 Likes

Your CNC has impressive dimensions :open_mouth:

1 Like