Messed up buying controller skr 1.4

Hello everybody,

Here a newbie from spain trying to put together a LR2. I´ve been reading all I could around this forum, and finally started printing all the pieces. I´ve would have prefered buying a kit from Ryan, but taxes and shipping to spain are totally impossible. So I´ve bought all electronics on Aliexpress. And I think I messed it up buying the skr 1.4. I thought there was a firmware for it, but now I realise that the “official one” from V1 is only for the skr 1.3. Damn.

So my cuestion is probabbly quite dumb, but as a complete nerd in all this controller stuff I have to ask: Would the 1.3 firmware work on the skr 1.4?

Thanks in advance, I really admire all the knoledge I read from all of you on this forum!

I haven’t owned a 1.4. but I would not be shocked to know that it worked out of the box.

FYI, the skr pro is the tested firmware. The skr1p3 hasn’t been tested in every version.

1 Like

Thanks for answering @jeffeb3!

So should I try the skr pro firmware instead?

Sorry again if I’m asking things that don’t make sense… :sweat_smile:

Nom the skr1p3 is probably closer. The names are annoying but the skr pro is different than the skr not pro.

1 Like

The ulimate opportunity to learn to flash your own firmware… SKR1.3 is very close to the SKR1.4.

Grab the source and convert it to your board. Compile and flash. It is not so hard to do. I converted the MP3DP firmware to SKR1.4 without any problems.

Which drivers did you order with your board?

2 Likes

Wow, that sounds like nuclear physics to me :sweat_smile:.

I mean, I’m not worried about trying, but I have absolutely no idea of where I should start. I guess I need a kind of “flashing LR2 firmware for dummies” guide.

I’ve bought the tmc 2209 drivers and the tft35-e3 v3 screen.

Thanks for answering!

Well, I recommend wacht Chris Riley’s guide: https://youtu.be/oHMZ0ocTYvM

Take the SKR1.3 source and change the boardname in configuration.h and flash. Attach steppers (not mounted in the LR) and do dryruns…

What can possibly go wrong :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @keeze!

I´ve watched the guide, and than encouraged me to go on with it.

But now I have a few questions:

• I´m looking on the V1 firmware releases page for what I should download. I understand that I need the V1CNC_Skr1p3_2209-2.0.7.2-src.zip file, because I´m not using endstops. But that file doesn´t have any “LR” name on it. Is this wright? Or should I take the V1CNC_Skr1p3_DualLR_2209-2.0.7.2-src.zip file even if I won´t use dual endstops? It´s quite confusing for me, sorry.

-Once I take that source file and I change the board name in visualstudio and the configuration.h… save it, etc… is it done, really? I don´t have to monkey anywhere more? sounds like magic!

Thanks in advance again!

Did the same mistake here I tried the renaming only and the recompiling never worked as I can only work on the week end I just ordered an skr1.3 to go faster
Seems nothing was out of reach though I might take on it over christmas as I might have some time.

The problem was mostly about pins naming and some include. i have to admit it was late on sunday and it didn’t take long for me to just order the 1.3 :frowning:

I’ll be happy to follow if you make any progress though

I Renamed the pins according to this schematic (in Marlin/src/pins/lps1768/pins_BTT_SKR_V1_4.h). And compiled without problems.

I can’t test, but here is the altered source including the compiled binary in .pio\build\LPC1768\ …
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai9-3UVvZ5uAkP8GFysmSrv1iXIUdA?e=7l2vhi

1 Like

This is what I use for my LR2, SKR 1.4 Turbo. (the only difference between the Turbo and non-turbo is clock speed of the processor)

1 Like

Hi @TheExpertNoob I see that you definded Y-MIN and Y-MAX aswel X-MIN and X-MAX on the same pins…

1 Like

ah yes! good catch. I dont use x or y max. (actually they dont exist on the skr 1.4 Turbo. The board is labeled E0 and E1 for extruder runout detection where x and y max are normally on other boards) I may have actually moved them for whatever reason as I redefined what those pins would normally be for y2 min endstop and z2 min endstop as I am using dual endstops. I also moved the Fan0 and Heater1 to the Bed pin as I am reusing the Heater1 and Fan0 for a laser(or plan to).

Thanks for the help @keeze @TheExpertNoob!

I’ll try with those firmwares you compiled, but since I’m not installing endstops, I guess Keeze’s one is what I need. Am I righ?

@squalloo I tried this morning also, but I got stuck in the platformio part, I just couldn’t compile it :man_shrugging:t2:.

I’ll let you know how it goes, thanks again!

Yeah exactly like me sadly
My work is actually to assemble industrial machines but these generally do not involve Flashing FW haha

It really doesn’t matter which one you use, in the firmware I compiled endstops are also defined. Actualy I don’t know if they are defined NC of NO. Try if your motors are working. I will fix if they are normale closed (you will get an error because you don’t have them attached)

Well, who takes the labeling serious when trying to deploy this board for a CNC machine (and not a printer) :wink:

2 Likes

In general, the ones without the dual only ever allow 3 drivers for X,Y,Z. If you wanted to, you could use a serial wiring harness with either dual endstop version. But Marlin would complain because it couldn’t talk over uart to the E0 and E1 drivers. The difference in the LR version is one of the extra enabled drivers is Z instead of X.

You don’t really need to care. You are in good hands. But if anyone was looking for the exact answer to that question, that is the answer.

Hi guys!

I´ve been out these weeks, but finally back. I did all the wiring stuff and used the firmware @keeze gave me (millions of thanks!).

I was quite nervous when I powered it up, but: it works! I did a few test runs and all seems to move. However, I have a few questions because I´m not sure if they´re issues or not:

• In marlin mode screen, I have an error message that says: TMC CONNECTION ERROR. Is this due to the endstops configuration? The firmware has them, but I don´t.

• I tried to home Z and it started to turn continuosly. Finally an error message was shown on screen (in marlin mode): FAILED TO HOME Z. Should I be worried about this?

• When I home X, the Z stepper also moves one turn. Is this normal?

• When I move Y, there´s no problem, but when I move it back to position 00.00 it kind of keeps in “tension”… it´s just like if it haves power. None of the others do that. First I thought it was used to keep the height, but should be the Z… or not? or am I driving crazy? :laughing:

Sorry for all the questions, It´s just too much info for me…

Thanks in advance!

The tmc connection error means it can’t talk to one of the drivers. It might be because you have firmware configured for 5 drivers, but only have 3 installed? It is an error generated by the skr, saying it can’t talk to the 2209(s). It is just being reported on the screen.

The Z may lift up if it hasn’t had its position set. This is so it doesn’t scrape the bed when it homes X.

When you start the motors aren’t “enabled”. To move, they get enabled. They shouldn’t disable for a while, like 20 mins. It sounds lile Y is doing it right and X,Z are wrong. They should all stay enabled.