Micro Dust Shoe

I made a dust shoe design as small as I could get it. The way it is mounted to the XY-gantry it should not add any force to the spindle and only takes away about one inch from the X work area.
The height can be adjusted independent from the Z axis, and the little cover piece clicks in place and is held there by a couple of magnets.

If anyone is interested I can share the files :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Yes please! Came out great.

1 Like

Looks great! How does it perform?

1 Like

Looks good, interested to see it in action.

1 Like

I would have liked it if the transparent PLA would have come out clearer, but I’m happy with how it performs. I’d say about 90% of chips get sucked up, and I’ll try to make an improved cover with bristles to get some more :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bristles are going to make a huge difference in performance. I have a similar style dust shoe on my Burly, but it never really performed until I put some bristles on.

Nice work!

1 Like

I like the magnetic quick connect system.

Yes, interested in the files and source of your magnets. Nice idea

Here are the files!
Only stls so far, if anyone needs them I hope Fusion still allows step exporting.

Also I modified the cover to have TPU bristles.

The magnets are 5mm cube magnets, no idea where I got them from, I have like 200 of them lying around…

4 Likes

STEP files are still allowed in the personal/free version of Fusion 360. Native Fusion 360 files can also be exported. Thank you for sharing your work.

Amazon have 100 for $38. 100 round 5mm x 1mm are $8.
Any chance of sharing the Fusion 360 file so we can modify the magnet holder hole to fit what ever magnet size we have or can afford?

Thanks for the files!

:smiley:

Would you consider posting a short demo video?

I’m using the mpcnc tomorrow, I’ll see if I can get a good video of it in action :slight_smile:

I’ll also try to upload step and fusion files.

1 Like

I am also a fan. :smiley: Looks really great and flexible.

Guys, I figured something out. The dust shoe doesn’t matter much, but proper airflow does.
I built my enclosure pretty airtight, and the exhaust of the vacuum always seemed a bit hot.
So I added this vent to the enclosure:

So now 100% of the chips get sucked up, even if I leave the cover off the dustshoe!
And the vacuum exhaust seems cooler.

1 Like

I would like file too please

1 Like

Link is above.

Files are here

I’ll try to upload step and fusion files when I have some spare time, since this is very specific to my 525 with AMB router and vacuum hose I’m sure most people would need to adjust something.

1 Like

Seems like you accedentilly tried to pulled a vacuum. :slight_smile:
Can you please upload a picture on where the contraption gets mounted?

This is an interesting approach using an enclosure. Of course dust won’t get into the garage even without a vac using an enclosure, but to me what is neat and elegant is how the enclosure will modify flow streamlines so dust will tend to move toward the vac more than without an enclosure. This will help a ton with lighter dust like mdf… won’t need such a strong flow to keep up this way… though I predict heavier chips may still make a mess inside without more substantial flow (oak etc big momentum chips need lots of flow volume to retain). I also dig the tpu brush idea… may steal that idea for use on my nozzle hehe. :wink: