Milling Bit Set Recommendations

I’m adding to my Christmas list and I’m looking for recommendations on milling bit sets for wood milling. I’d like to find a do-it-all set. Thoughts?

I don’t know about milling bit ‘sets’.

I have a few whiteside V-bits and CMT end mills that I like. The bits in the V1 store work well too.

I wish there was a full set. I’ll follow this thread to see what anyone else comes up with.

My OCD dictates that I read the forum with the “latest” format, so I always see every post… You can also get notified of replies on specific topics by clicking on that “Normal” button at the bottom, and selecting a different notification level.

1 Like

The v1 bits are great. Bits have different purposes.

• Flat bottom (like the single flute one) for pocketing and through cuts.
  • Round over bits/ball end for 3D routing.
  • V bits for carving and engraving. Get a low angle/sharp one. They are more forgiving.
  • Down cut bits are good for leaving the top nice, but you need to worry about chip evacuation and you can’t drill with them
  • Long bits are longer. They can be a pain, because they flex more. So you’d only use them if you have to.

You can easily get a ton of practice with a single flute, v bit, and ball end. I would ask for two of each, so you can keep going and order more when the first one fails.

1 Like

@vicious1, You should totally package a little 5-6 pack of them. I bet you’d sell one with most kits and even if you didn’t, it would be a good reference.

5 Likes

I meant that more as a figure of speech :slight_smile: , but thank-you for the tips.

@vicious1, You should totally package a little 5-6 pack of them. I bet you’d sell one with most kits and even if you didn’t, it would be a good reference.

I like this idea.

2 Likes

I actually figured you didn’t need the info, but I thought others might like to know. :man_teacher:

I have had this on the to-do list forever now. Let me see if I can make that happen today.

2 Likes

Is that the same as mansplaining?

1 Like

Under the assumption that David (and the bulk of other readers) is male, I’d term it “brosplaining”… The female readers who already know how Discourse works would be fully correct in calling it manslpaining, though. My wife would just roll her eyes and walk out of the room…

+1 for this. If you’re learning, ruined bits and slashed test workpieces are a cheap way to be bold and learn faster.

Or the other way around, if you have only one bit, the worst thing that can happen is you break it and you are out of commission for a couple days, which sucks. With a half dozen bits, nothing really bad can happen (just keep fingers out and watch for fire).

Boom!

6 Likes

Niiice! Have you considered offering slower and cheaper shipping options? I’d certainly shop more if there was a slow and somewhat cheap option…

Yes, Unfortunately there are too many crappy people out there. I have to have tracking, both so I do not have to answer the “where is my package” email every single day for every order, and to prove it got delivered. Some people suck.

2 Likes

I use a local company here in town. Not sure about plugging companies but I have about 250 dollars in bits at the moment. I purchased Whiteside and Amana Tool bits that fit my routers. I have 3. I purchased them 2 years ago. I still have each bit. I paid way too much for them. However, Wood Workers Emporium in Vegas, USA has a lot of bits on hand at any time. I like that I can just go down town and pick up anything I want at a moments notice. Honestly I spent more in bits than I will on this new LR2. :smiley: Thanks again Ryan!

1 Like

@vicious1
Hi Ryan,

I hate to nag, but I’d love to buy a endmill variety pack when they are back in stock. Any idea when you’ll have them back?

They are gone already!? Shoot, That is my second batch. I will add some in a couple hours.

1 Like

Since you also live in Norway try using www.jetcarrier.com
You will get your own shipping adress in America There you can choose to ship it on plane if youre in a rush or by boat if you have plenty of time.

1 Like