More Laser Advice - Firmware

Here is the result of S8 (move to the right) S255 And S-Value Max is set to 255 in the device settings

I tried to do a M05 as quick as i could (coppied and pasted it as soon as i did the above M03)

Like i said the laser seems to be working fine during most other operations, just not fill or raster…its like it forgets to move back and forth. I just tried moving the x and y axis at different speeds and it worked fine. 1000mm/min, 1400mm/min, 6000mm/min – no issues

Unfortunately I dont have an o-scope; its on the bucket list though -

Is there anything in the firmware that may cause an issue - the only thing I can think of is i have the dual endstop version loaded but have yet to add the switches (I have it set to Normally Open)

I got something but it’s a bit skewed. I reloaded the latest firmware…

1 Like

That is really interesting.

Sorry for the late reply, finishing up a mount for my laser on a dust shoe for my DW660 spindle. Here is the problem if you haven’t done this yet. I had the same problem until I did the following:

in the Marlin.cpp file find this block of code.

// Limit check_axes_activity frequency to 10Hz

static millis_t next_check_axes_ms = 0;

if (ELAPSED(ms, next_check_axes_ms)) {

planner.check_axes_activity();

next_check_axes_ms = ms + 100UL;

}

To fix the problem it needs to be changed to this.

// Limit check_axes_activity frequency to 10Hz

//static millis_t next_check_axes_ms = 0;

//if (ELAPSED(ms, next_check_axes_ms)) {

planner.check_axes_activity(); //< THIS IS THE ONLY LINE OF CODE YOU LEAVE UNCOMMENTED

// next_check_axes_ms = ms + 100UL;

//}

Once this is done, recompile , upload and viola laser works as it should. This assumes you are using the latest version of Ryan’s MPCNC v2 Marlin code base.

2 Likes

BTW, I am running the dual end stop version and the above code change fixed the problem. Your laser control is working as it should since the laser intensity changed with the max value for the “S” parameter in your test above. Just make sure you are using mm/min and 255 for your max value laser power, I believe LightBurn calls it S-value max under device settings. Also if you enable laser fire button under device control you should see the fire button appear on the move tab with a power level setting. much more convenient than typing the the command on the console.

After making the changes to the firmware the text is still skewed… and I’m noticing that only one motor is moving on the x and y axis

Something is going on there…I checked the wires and connection and all look solid

How fast are you trying to go. I have found if i go north of say 2000 mm/min things get wonky.

1 Like

I got it working. I had one endstop polling as triggered! M119 saved the day :frowning:

5 Likes

Congrats! Have fun torching things!

Thanks for your help Jeff; was wondering if you had any idea how to set the min power to 0%. I did an image and could set it when in grayscale mode, however the option is grayed out and set to 10% on my line layer - Im getting travel lines.

minpower

Not sure how that changed. I was fine before

The min power will always be 10%. can you attach a pic of the issue and I’ll try and diagnose it for you. is your laser not turning off after each pass?

It’s nit turning off during travel.

Keith did you by chance have line+fill selected? or is that the dialog box for just the line setting

It for just the line setting

Not sure where this happened

Are you still setup for a Diode Laser or could have the laser type been accidentally changed to Co2

1 Like

It is still diode…