LR3 - Y Belt Tension Block/Base locations, and assembly sequence

Hi,
So I’m looking at the tensioners and trying to figure out which goes where.
A better naming convention would help as I didn’t realise there were front and rear tensioners, since the front ones are called"Front Y…" and the rear ones are “Y tension…”.
Maybe something like “Y Tension Front Left Base” or “Y Tension Rear Right Block” would work better.
Anyway, I finally got it figured and just want to check that this is correct ?

The documentation also needs some tweaks, the front right block and base are in the y rails section but the last photo shows the left rear block and base.
docs

Then there’s a section on the wiring and then the Y belt section finishes off the belts and tensioners, which seems to be in the wrong order to me. I assume that I go through Github if I want to update the docs ?

Thanks.

A

2 Likes

The second picture you show looks correct to me. I am trying to convey they are along the same line as the front blocks, not saying they are front blocks. Any way you can suggest to say that better?

It is easier to run all the wires before you string up the Y belts, in my opinion. I wrote them as I was building that one just to be certain things were in the order I actually built it. In what way would you suggest?

Yes.

My answers are reading really snarky to me but I promise they are not meant that way. I am genuinely looking for suggestions. I wrote them so just saying they are wrong is tough for me without suggestions on the way they read to you…and I am horrible at this stuff.

2 Likes

Heh, I was worried that I was coming across wrong by offering suggestions … :laughing:

I’ll have a play with the docs and see what you think.

A

2 Likes

I’ve forked the docs in GitHub but the words for that section aren’t there.

Am I missing a setting ?

Thanks

A

It is pretty far down the page. Line 678

1 Like

Weird. Mine finishes at 674 ?!? :thinking:

It’s like the text has been stripped out.

A

1 Like

Have you forked it before? Is that an older version?

1 Like

I can’t find an actual post right now where Ryan said that, but I know that he’s posted it several times. :rofl:

1 Like

“There are only two hard things in computer science. Cache invalidation and naming things”

– old coder proverb.

4 Likes

Please confirm/correct my understanding on where, and which sequence, we should assemble the pairs of bases and blocks/holders for the Y belts.

1. (FR) front-y-belt-base-right, front-y-belt-holder-right
  2. (RR) y-tension-base-rear-right, y-tension-block-rear-right
  3. (FL) front-y-belt-base, front-y-belt-holder
  4. (RL) y-tension-base-rear, y-tension-block-rear

Letter/number stamp on the parts could be helpful. I used a sharpie on mine:

Reaching out because this took me a while to grasp. My initial intuitive guess (as a person who is assembling LR3) of front/rear/left/right was wrong. However, if I try to think about LR3’s orientation as a person doing the CAD design, the front/rear/left/right sides make perfect sense.

Would like to understand, and also help/contribute clarifying if others are struggling during assembly.

1 Like

“Front” is the 1 + 3 side of the machine, “rear” is the 2 + 4 side.

“Right” is the 3 + 4 side of the machine, and “left” is the 1 + 2 side.

FL is 1
RL is 2
FR is 3
RR is 4

I understand the confusion, I guess, because the control panel is set up to be placed to the side of the machine, and not the “front” which is actually how it was designed.

@SupraGuy, cheers for helping confirm my understanding of front and rear.

I don’t know my left from my right though :slight_smile: Was/am thinking 1 is FR because of this snippet from docs, seems like FR is next to the rail :

I could be wrong about right/left… All I did was set up the dovetailed blocks as front and set them so that the belt was towards the outside, and the tension blocks were to the rear, with the belts towards the outside again.

2 Likes

perfect, thanks for helping clarify

Cheers happy holidays to all !
In this image the rear tension blocks I have printed were not alter nor used with support.
But did some reason my belt will not go through :disappointed: sadly ; will there be any techniques or better ways of getting over this issue that I’m having?
Please let me know if you have received this message thanks !

1 Like

Other than general printing troubleshooting…

If you cut the bekt at a 45° angle sometimes it’s easier to thread in. I’d look while it’s printing to see if it’s sagging or something. Mine are tight, but usable.

I’ve tried this & looked @ all 6 seperate prints is there any alternative? This is the only thing holding back my setup @ the moment & it really stinks

Let’s continue this in the other identical post you made and not in DNA’s thread.

Please only post your question one time in the forums, and always in a new thread.

1 Like