More Marlin issues--Turning on spindle M03/M05 commands

What I have done so far:

Downloaded the latest:
Marlin_V1CNC_SkrTurbo_DualLR_8825_2.0.9.2_513-src

Changed drivers to 2209’s
It compiles and uploads…

Added BTT24 TFT and added spindle control to menu’s
It compiles and using the “spindle button” (gcode M03) results in an error since this hasn’t been turned on in Marlin.

Back to marlin and made these changes in configuration_adv.h

#define SPINDLE_FEATURE
//#define LASER_FEATURE
#if EITHER(SPINDLE_FEATURE, LASER_FEATURE)
  #define SPINDLE_LASER_ACTIVE_STATE    LOW    // Set to "HIGH" if SPINDLE_LASER_ENA_PIN is active HIGH
  //#define SPINDLE_LASER_USE_PWM                // Enable if your controller supports setting the speed/power
  #if ENABLED(SPINDLE_LASER_USE_PWM)
    #define SPINDLE_LASER_PWM_INVERT    false  // Set to "true" if the speed/power goes up when you want it to go slower
    #define SPINDLE_LASER_FREQUENCY     2500   // (Hz) Spindle/laser frequency (only on supported HALs: AVR and LPC)
  #endif

//#define AIR_EVACUATION                     // Cutter Vacuum / Laser Blower motor control with G-codes M0-M11
  #if ENABLED(AIR_EVACUATION)
    #define AIR_EVACUATION_ACTIVE       LOW    // Set to "HIGH" if the on/off function is active HIGH
    //#define AIR_EVACUATION_PIN        42     // Override the default Cutter Vacuum or Laser Blower pin
  #endif
  //#define AIR_ASSIST                         // Air Assist control with G-codes M8-M9
  #if ENABLED(AIR_ASSIST)
    #define AIR_ASSIST_ACTIVE           LOW    // Active state on air assist pin
    //#define AIR_ASSIST_PIN            44     // Override the default Air Assist pin
  #endif
  //#define SPINDLE_SERVO                      // A servo converting an angle to spindle power
  #ifdef SPINDLE_SERVO
    #define SPINDLE_SERVO_NR   0               // Index of servo used for spindle control
    #define SPINDLE_SERVO_MIN 10               // Minimum angle for servo spindle
  #endif
  /**

* Speed / Power can be set ('M3 S') and displayed in terms of:
   *  - PWM255  (S0 - S255)
   *  - PERCENT (S0 - S100)
   *  - RPM     (S0 - S50000)  Best for use with a spindle
   *  - SERVO   (S0 - S180)
   */
  #define CUTTER_POWER_UNIT RPM

I then defined the pin in the pins_BTT_SKR_common.h

//#ifndef HEATER_BED_PIN
  //#define HEATER_BED_PIN                   P2_05
//#endif
#define SPINDLE_LASER_ENA_PIN              P2_05

No good on compile–I keep getting:
“Marlin\src\module/…/feature/spindle_laser_types.h:38:13: error: ‘SPEED_POWER_MAX’ was not declared in this scope”…

As the first error. Now I’m stumped.

I suspect this:

#define SPEED_POWER_INTERCEPT       0    // (%) 0-100 i.e., Minimum power percentage
      #define SPEED_POWER_MIN          5000    // (RPM)
      #define SPEED_POWER_MAX         30000    // (RPM) SuperPID router controller 0 - 30,000 RPM
      #define SPEED_POWER_STARTUP     25000    // (RPM) M3/M4 speed/power default (with no arguments)
    #endif

#else
      #define SPEED_POWER_INTERCEPT       0    // (%) 0-100 i.e., Minimum power percentage
      #define SPEED_POWER_MIN             0    // (%) 0-100
      #define SPEED_POWER_MAX           100    // (%) 0-100
      #define SPEED_POWER_STARTUP        80    // (%) M3/M4 speed/power default (with no arguments)
    #endif

It seems like Speed_power_max is only defined if SPINDLE_LASER_USE_PWM is enabled??

Do you want/need variable spindle speed? Not sure why it wants max speed set if you’re not using PWM.

M03/M05 can be used for simple on/off with a relay, in which case PWM feature is not needed.

With PWM enabled you can choose whether to specify the spindle speed as duty cycle, absolute RPM, percentage, or servo 0-180 degrees so there isn’t a default option predefined.

I’m guessing servo is most often used with a brushless motor and esc, like in needle cutters, but now I’ve got visions dancing in my head of a mechanical servo hookup to turn the dial of a variable speed router.

No, I just want the board to turn the spindle on/off–the speed control is a separate mechanical piece. But it won’t compile regardless of that PWM feature and I can’t figure out why its throwing that error.

Ok think I got it (at least it compiled) here’s the full spindle section in configuration_adv.h:

#define SPINDLE_FEATURE
//#define LASER_FEATURE
#if EITHER(SPINDLE_FEATURE, LASER_FEATURE)
  #define SPINDLE_LASER_ACTIVE_STATE    LOW    // Set to "HIGH" if SPINDLE_LASER_ENA_PIN is active HIGH

//#define SPINDLE_LASER_USE_PWM                // Enable if your controller supports setting the speed/power
    #define SPINDLE_LASER_PWM_INVERT    false  // Set to "true" if the speed/power goes up when you want it to go slower
    #define SPINDLE_LASER_FREQUENCY     2500   // (Hz) Spindle/laser frequency (only on supported HALs: AVR and LPC)
  #endif

//#define AIR_EVACUATION                     // Cutter Vacuum / Laser Blower motor control with G-codes M10-M11
  #if ENABLED(AIR_EVACUATION)
    #define AIR_EVACUATION_ACTIVE       LOW    // Set to "HIGH" if the on/off function is active HIGH
    //#define AIR_EVACUATION_PIN        42     // Override the default Cutter Vacuum or Laser Blower pin
  #endif

//#define AIR_ASSIST                         // Air Assist control with G-codes M8-M9
  #if ENABLED(AIR_ASSIST)
    #define AIR_ASSIST_ACTIVE           LOW    // Active state on air assist pin
    //#define AIR_ASSIST_PIN            44     // Override the default Air Assist pin
  #endif

//#define SPINDLE_SERVO                      // A servo converting an angle to spindle power
  #ifdef SPINDLE_SERVO
    #define SPINDLE_SERVO_NR   0               // Index of servo used for spindle control
    #define SPINDLE_SERVO_MIN 10               // Minimum angle for servo spindle
  #endif

/**
   * Speed / Power can be set ('M3 S') and displayed in terms of:
   *  - PWM255  (S0 - S255)
   *  - PERCENT (S0 - S100)
   *  - RPM     (S0 - S50000)  Best for use with a spindle
   *  - SERVO   (S0 - S180)
   */
  #define CUTTER_POWER_UNIT PWM255

/**
   * Relative Cutter Power
   * Normally, 'M3 O<power>' sets
   * OCR power is relative to the range SPEED_POWER_MIN...SPEED_POWER_MAX.
   * so input powers of 0...255 correspond to SPEED_POWER_MIN...SPEED_POWER_MAX
   * instead of normal range (0 to SPEED_POWER_MAX).
   * Best used with (e.g.) SuperPID router controller: S0 = 5,000 RPM and S255 = 30,000 RPM
   */
  //#define CUTTER_POWER_RELATIVE              // Set speed proportional to [SPEED_POWER_MIN...SPEED_POWER_MAX]

#if ENABLED(SPINDLE_FEATURE)
    //#define SPINDLE_CHANGE_DIR               // Enable if your spindle controller can change spindle direction
    #define SPINDLE_CHANGE_DIR_STOP            // Enable if the spindle should stop before changing spin direction
    #define SPINDLE_INVERT_DIR          false  // Set to "true" if the spin direction is reversed

#define SPINDLE_LASER_POWERUP_DELAY   5000 // (ms) Delay to allow the spindle/laser to come up to speed/power
    #define SPINDLE_LASER_POWERDOWN_DELAY 5000 // (ms) Delay to allow the spindle to stop

/**
     * M3/M4 Power Equation
     * Each tool uses different value ranges for speed / power control.
     * These parameters are used to convert between tool power units and PWM.
     * Speed/Power = (PWMDC / 255 * 100 - SPEED_POWER_INTERCEPT) / SPEED_POWER_SLOPE
     * PWMDC = (spdpwr - SPEED_POWER_MIN) / (SPEED_POWER_MAX - SPEED_POWER_MIN) / SPEED_POWER_SLOPE
     */
      #define SPEED_POWER_MIN          5000    // (RPM)
      #define SPEED_POWER_MAX         30000    // (RPM) SuperPID router controller 0 - 30,000 RPM
      #define SPEED_POWER_STARTUP     25000    // (RPM) M3/M4 speed/power default (with no arguments)
     //#endif

#else

#if ENABLED(SPINDLE_FEATURE)
      #define SPEED_POWER_MIN             0    // (%) 0-100
      #define SPEED_POWER_MAX           100    // (%) 0-100
      #define SPEED_POWER_STARTUP        80    // (%) M3/M4 speed/power default (with no arguments)
    #endif

// Define the minimum and maximum test pulse time values for a laser test fire function
    #define LASER_TEST_PULSE_MIN           1   // Used with Laser Control Menu
    #define LASER_TEST_PULSE_MAX         999   // Caution: Menu may not show more than 3 characters

/**
     * Enable inline laser power to be handled in the planner / stepper routines.
     * Inline power is specified by the I (inline) flag in an M3 command (e.g., M3 S20 I)
     * or by the 'S' parameter in G0/G1/G2/G3 moves (see LASER_MOVE_POWER).
     * This allows the laser to keep in perfect sync with the planner and removes
     * the powerup/down delay since lasers require negligible time.
     */
    //#define LASER_POWER_INLINE

#if ENABLED(LASER_POWER_INLINE)
      /**
       * Scale the laser's power in proportion to the movement rate.
       * - Sets the entry power proportional to the entry speed over the nominal speed.
       * - Ramps the power up every N steps to approximate the speed trapezoid.
       * - Due to the limited power resolution this is only approximate.
       */
      #define LASER_POWER_INLINE_TRAPEZOID

/**
       * Continuously calculate the current power (nominal_power * current_rate / nominal_rate).
       * Required for accurate power with non-trapezoidal acceleration (e.g., S_CURVE_ACCELERATION).
       * This is a costly calculation so this option is discouraged on 8-bit AVR boards.
       * LASER_POWER_INLINE_TRAPEZOID_CONT_PER defines how many step cycles there are between power updates. If your
       * board isn't able to generate steps fast enough (and you are using LASER_POWER_INLINE_TRAPEZOID_CONT), increase this.
       * Note that when this is zero it means it occurs every cycle; 1 means a delay wait one cycle then run, etc.
       */
      //#define LASER_POWER_INLINE_TRAPEZOID_CONT

/**
       * Stepper iterations between power updates. Increase this value if the board
       * can't keep up with the processing demands of LASER_POWER_INLINE_TRAPEZOID_CONT.
       * Disable (or set to 0) to recalculate power on every stepper iteration.
       */
      //#define LASER_POWER_INLINE_TRAPEZOID_CONT_PER 10

/**
       * Include laser power in G0/G1/G2/G3/G5 commands with the 'S' parameter
       */
      //#define LASER_MOVE_POWER

#if ENABLED(LASER_MOVE_POWER)
        // Turn off the laser on G0 moves with no power parameter.
        // If a power parameter is provided, use that instead.
        //#define LASER_MOVE_G0_OFF

// Turn off the laser on G28 homing.
        //#define LASER_MOVE_G28_OFF
      #endif

/**
       * Inline flag inverted
       * WARNING: M5 will NOT turn off the laser unless another move
       *          is done (so G-code files must end with 'M5 I').
       */
      //#define LASER_POWER_INLINE_INVERT

/**
       * Continuously apply inline power. ('M3 S3' == 'G1 S3' == 'M3 S3 I')
       * The laser might do some weird things, so only enable this
       * feature if you understand the implications.
       */
      //#define LASER_POWER_INLINE_CONTINUOUS

#else

#define SPINDLE_LASER_POWERUP_DELAY     50 // (ms) Delay to allow the spindle/laser to come up to speed/power
      #define SPINDLE_LASER_POWERDOWN_DELAY   50 // (ms) Delay to allow the spindle to stop

#endif

//
    // Laser I2C Ammeter (High precision INA226 low/high side module)
    //
    //#define I2C_AMMETER
    #if ENABLED(I2C_AMMETER)
      #define I2C_AMMETER_IMAX            0.1    // (Amps) Calibration value for the expected current range
      #define I2C_AMMETER_SHUNT_RESISTOR  0.1    // (Ohms) Calibration shunt resistor value
    #endif

#endif
  #endif // SPINDLE_FEATURE || LASER_FEATURE
#endif

(not sure why its putting some of that in a quote box…but anyways…)

1 Like