More standalone build?

I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on my idea.
What if a second perimeter rail was added with adjustable length (3d printed fitting)to get things square and to hold wiring so the unit could be easily moved between bases. Then maybe a quick release foot clamp(3d printed). Foot clamps get it flat, adjustable perimeter rail gets it square

To move the unit from plasma cutting water bath. To mdf bench for router/ laser etching? Mdf does not play well with water and looking for options.

Why not look at the LR3?
Is designed to be easier to remove from the table for storage, so just store it on another table.

1 Like

The LR3 idea is a good one. Setting that one aside and just looking at an MPCNC, my biggest concern about your quick release foot idea is calibration. Certain kinds of cutting are calibration sensitive. For example, it doesn’t take much error before v-carving shows quality issues. Just tossing some ideas around:

• Build two machines. If you build them out of conduit, and use Ramps 1.4 boards for the electronics, the machine itself will be about $350.

• Build two machines (both out of conduit), and swap electronics and the Z axis. The cost for the second machine would be around $250.

• Build the machine on a “waterproof” frame that is bolted to the surface. I’m thinking 2040 aluminum extrusion, or steel, or even Trex. It wouldn’t hurt if the frame had a bit of flex and took it squareness from the surface it was bolted to.

1 Like

I thought about the lr3 just liked look of mpcnc better, no real experience behind decision.

I had fleeting thought of the plastic decking will look at it more seriously.
Also found a fibreglass composite board for shower cubicles to make it waterproof. Or I may just go with downdraft setup and use it outside realistically it may get used couple hrs in a month. Wont be 40hrs week unit. Is just for hobby use.

I want an all in one router /laser/ plasma. I know with this setup there will be lots trade offs and compromises…