Mounting things on the middle array

When discussing the optimal location of some mounting aids for things like a dust boot or cable chain, Ryans suggestion to NOT load the Z-sled with such parts led to the thought of creating some sort of fixed rails (aluminium or printed square or similar, wood?) that could be mounted on the XY-gantry arose.

I think nobody is better prepared or destined to say something about that than Ryan himself.
An immediate application would be something to mount a dust boot on that stays in a fixed height.

There are one or two on thingiverse but they are very spacious and complicated. Mounting the mobile end of a cable chain for Z to it would be another use. I am not sure though if abusing the tension bolts to fix other things would be helpful. Some additional holes in the gantry components maybe, or something totally different?

Ryan, others?

Cheers,
U.

Dust boot on the XY is here: MPCNC 525C 525F Makita Quick Release & Dust Boot by EdNiedziejko - Thingiverse
Cable chain on the XY is here: MPCNC Burly Drag Chain System by randysteck - Thingiverse

:smiley:

Also, did you mean this to be in the MPCNC section? You’ve posted in the MP-3d printer section, but that doesn’t use a dust boot… Or if you’re talking about the Low Rider, ignore the above links, they’re not helpful. :o

Oooops, indeed, wrong section.

Moved, no big deal.

I cable tie everything to the XYZ part. It has lots of open loops.

1 Like

Dust boot…still have not found a way to rout the hose I am happy with. So I still just do it by hand.

I took a piece of rope. Another idea I had was to use one of those highly flexible fishing rods.

For long milling jobs, this is easier than guiding it manually.

Thanks!

Ed, the cable chain holder looks good. The dust boot too, but the router tool mount collides with my intention to quickly change to other tools.

Glueing parts to the XYZ part could also be interesting. Just found a cement originally formulated for PVC that does a phantastic job on PETG. It’s called Coraplax PVC cement. Not sure if there is a source in the U.S…
Another option is PrintaGlue, a special power glue.

Protip: Buy a second set of vertical tubes and motor, print a second set of braces, voila… Quick change by removing the Z assembly. That way you can have your tools mounted closer to the XY for less deflection.

1 Like

The trend moves towards multiple MPCNCs… :slight_smile:

There is a T8 spindle too. Does your suggestion imply to use >1 of them too?

1 Like

Yes. Usually the t8 leadscrew is much longer than necessary. Get a 250mm one and cut in half.

Took about 30 seconds to change from one to the other.

3 Likes