MP3DP Frame

Is there a time limit to edit post?

Yeah I think it is 30min, I don’t remember and the setting is buried.

I look at it like this, If you hurry, you will get to make two machines, instead of one!

I like the “over the top” of the fingers. I didn’t even glue that joint in my printer, and it’s pretty rock solid.

My 1/8" laminated idea doesn’t make any sense because the wood would curl with only two layers, and I don’t think I want to make my own plywood.

I could go down to the lumber yard, and find some neat 1/4" plywood. They have a lot of it…

http://austinhardwoods.com/sheetstock.shtml

I have found Baltic Birch to be the best plywood, it’s flat with no voids but it comes in metric sizes. The 1/4" nominal is actually less than 6mm and not ideal for the frame though.

I went to lowes today, and all their “nice wood” was crap. They did have pine project panels that seemed really flat, and already glued up in sections big enough, but it was really thick. And it’s pine, I really don’t like the look of pine.

I might just have to go with baltic birch ply. It’s a nice looking wood but I really didn’t want to do plywood. I don’t have to good fine lumber supplier around me. We do have a woodcraft, I’m thinking I might swing by and check them out tomorrow after work.

Woodcraft is pretty pricey, even compared to actual lumber stores. But luckily you only need like a 2’x4’ piece.

Went to woodcraft and couldn’t bring myself to overpay for wood like that. Everything there was overpriced. But I was browsing another forum and found this.

Not wood, but should do. They say it’s 1/2 inch thick.

I was eyeing that too. Also if you have one close-ish, http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90202268/ They also have bamboo cutting boards for cheapish. Bamboo ply is stupid expensive.

Are you sure you don’t have a lumber or hardwood store in your area? It seems weird to be able to support a woodcraft and not a lumber store.

I found a plastic vendor in Denver that has offcut sales once a month and I bought some hdpe in a sheet for cheap.

Okay, Well I got it all chopped up and laid out for the laser cutter. I got it to fit on 5 6x24 1/4 inch thick poplar boards. I got them from home depot. I’m cutting two of each part and will sandwich them together making 1/2 inch thick frame. I’ll reserve the laser cutter tomorrow and get to cutting. It should be fun!.

Frame-5.pdf (1.62 KB)

Frame-1.pdf (4.17 KB)

Frame-2.pdf (3.07 KB)

Frame-3.pdf (3.88 KB)

Frame-4.pdf (3.55 KB)

That Looks cool.

Let me preface this with me saying I have no idea what I’m talking about, and I’ve never tried this myself. I’ve never even used a laser cutter myself. But, I thought that laser cut joints don’t glue well. Something about the ashes left behind. I couldn’t tell from these drawing if you’ve compensated (maybe by making the second layer’s box joint offset, or something) for that. Or maybe you know it’s just BS. Like I said, I have no idea.

Yeah, I figured that might be an issue, But that’s part of the reason why the joints are offset in different locations, The glue along the face’s should be more than enough to hold it even if the cut joint fails.

Cool. I couldn’t tell from the PDFs (more accurately, I could have been able to tell, but I’m lazy :D)

I’m glad I measured the wood, because what the store said was 6 inches was really 5.5 inches. So I had to go back and redo my layout. I spent more time with laying out the parts and I think it makes more sense that it did before. I was hoping to get the first spot on the laser tomorrow but I have to wait till 12…

I remember Ryan suggesting that I cut another of the front and back piece, and attach it to the outside of the frame, since I was having square problems. If you didn’t glue up that piece, you could do that and not lose the y range. But it might not look as nice.

The kerf of the laser is bigger than i thought it would be so the joints arnt tight.

Cool. Now you can use some wax paper as a base, then use epoxy to connect your parts! Once it sets you can sand the joints flat. Should be plenty strong, and look kinda cool.

That’s a good idea Barry.

Feel like sharing some pictures of the parts? I’d like to see them.

I will. Gluing them now.im out of data. Ill have to wait till i get home for that.

Here’s the photos, I still need to clean some stuff up. but looking decent so far. I think I’ll follow barry’s advice and use some epoxy in the joints.