MP3DP "Repeat" Build

First usable print out of the “Repeat”
TPU 210C/50C, 30mm/s all around, No fan, No retraction.
It came out amazing. It is for a friend and will be used to hold a Glass divider in a cabinet.

I forgot to change the skirt distance… I used 100 mm distance in the skirt when I was playing with calibration cubes to adjust Z with baby steps.

6 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like

I updated that part with a larger chamfer, the print looks very promising. I doubt even a nasty elephant foot could mess it up now.

I think I am going to try and “release” it officially in today or in the next few days. Taking assembly pics now.

7 Likes

Thank you, I’m going to print a new one to test and I will let you know

1 Like

You guys are just killing me! Man, that repeat wood core xy looks awesome!!! I do not even have my primo running yet and already want thistoo. I need to win the lottery! Any ideas on what one would cost?

2 Likes

This one is going to be my fav for sure.

Good question. I need to start getting the BOM together. Biggest expense is the board ($140), extruder ($120), steppers ($55), liner rails ($50), Then the small stuff and a bl touch if you want it. Probably About $500-$600? Depends on if you have anything you can salvage. I am reusing the steppers and hemera off my V2’s.

3 Likes

Well after battle a really bent bed, I managed to get the Repeat printing again with @SupraGuy big help. Thank you again Dan for the help!!
The new heated bed from Fulament just show up

and is going in tomorrow after I’m done with the last 4 prints for the LR3 , The new bed is a 110V 500W and is a little small on Y axis by 5mm witch is not a big deal. I’m also going to swicth firmware from Marlin to klipper, as i’m very happy with klipper on my CR10-S pro.
And I did a little mod on filament guide. I wide it up a bit and add a PC4-M10 Pneumatic Fitting

The reason is that the bowden tube would come out of the guide and could get tangled somewhere in the belt.

1 Like

Impressive bed. What size is it?

Did you buy the heater too? I would think 110vac would work pretty well. Tempting.

That bed is for the Sidewinder X1 the bed is X310, Y314. I used the Creality CR10S-pro that is 310x320.

Yes, got as a package.
The bed is already magnetic, so you don’t need the 3M magnetic sheet, and they say it is “ultra flat” with 0.10mm flatness… we will see about that once it is installed :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I completely forgot to update the thread…

The New bad is impressive, extremely flat and really fast to warm-up, from room temperature around 20C to 60 C in less than 1 minute.
Now I need to upgrade the heat cartridge, maybe a 40 or 50W. Now that the bed heats up so fast, it feels like forever to get the hotend to temperature.

I also modified the Center and Truck trigger to replace the carbon fiber with a linear rail. And so far so good, I was able to improve speed and rigidity.

1 Like

Some pictures of the new X axis…

4 Likes

That ends up being more rigid?

1 Like

Yes, the center is not wobbly as before, I’m not sure if it was because of the 400+mm Carbon fiber tube twisting or if it was the wheels that are too soft.

Hmmm. My CF rail is just as long, but I don’t have issues with sag, or twist.

My only issue is that the CF weave pattern is visible in the right light along the X axis surface.

My solution for this is that Ive ordered 20mm squal Al tube. Just waiting for it, but it will orobably not get here until June.

As an alternative, I’d considered a remix of the trucks and core for 19.05mm (3/4") which I could go get from Home Despot today, but I don’t have problems that require me to be that picky about the weave artefacts. It’s there if you look for it, but it doesn’t stand out.

I suppose the Railcore uses a bridging MGN12 rail for the hotend, so it should be OK.

1 Like

I have been messing with these repeats a lot. I have them dialed in on all axis to well under 0.3mm (probably .15mm but then the plastic start to vary on each print) error on all diagonals on a 100mm test block. I definitely want to spend some time on some new parts though. I might have the weave showing up in one, I will check in the sun tomorrow.

I learned a ton, I want to make another, still like the Z belts though.

Next step up on rigidity is a cross gantry. Like the mpcnc, but with linear rails.

This is a croxy. One of the guys on the railcore discord started designing it. It’s also “4 wheel drive”. There are two steppers for each axis.

4 Likes

Why have one, when you can have two, at twice the price?

4 Likes

Dang. This seems to be going the wrong way. Playing chase. What is the ultimate speed we can extrude at and keep large parts and fine details working. From there, start designing a machine that can handle it.

2 Likes

I remember that line from Contact.

Does not seem like the kind of build I’d go for. If Im going to throw money at the problem, I’ll go for more efficient design over brute force. The only reason I didn’t go with a Railcore was cost. The odd extrusion (1515) ended up being very pricey, and at the time the linear rails were also nuts, not to mention the Duex5 as an add-on to the Duet2 for control. My Repeat build wasn’t what I’d call cheap, but it was excellent performance for the price.

How many watts do you want to theow at the heater, and are you willing to print only large plates to let the plastic harden?

3 Likes

Personally, I am not that interested in speed. My printer has probably been idle for a week or two now. Having it faster is nice, but not worth too much energy or time for me.

But having a machine that can print bigger and faster means that it will do those without as many failures. So printing things slower and smaller will be more reliable.

At least that is my theory.

1 Like