MP3DP vs. Prusa i3 Vs CoreXY

I love my MPCNC as a 3d printer, but it certainly has it downsides. It is not as agile or smooth as many other printers because it is more of a heavy cutter machine. This is not to bash the design, it is amazing and my prints are coming out fantastic, but I would like to get my feet wet in another printer system that is faster and more agile. I also want to start printing with stronger filaments like polycarbonate, but I will keep my MPCNC w/ it’s 1mm nozzle for big prints.
My main question is a MP3DP vs a kit Prusa i3. Does the MP3DP have any severe advantages mechanically over a regular prusa i3 or are they basically the same due to the same core design?. I may have to convert my one and only mpcnc into a milling machine just to get the frame done if I went through with it. Would I be correct in saying that the MP3DP is mostly “better” due to the fact you buy all the hardware separately vs common kits, resulting in generally higher quality components? If so, I may take a stab at it. It is awfully pretty :slight_smile:
These core xys are also grabbing my attention with their little moving masses. They seem really fast and easier to set up than deltas.

I’ve only owned or used the MP3DP and the Wanhao Duplicator i3 (original, I have no idea what version they are on now). I strongly prefer the MP3DP. The feature I like the most is that it’s easier to tinker with though. I don’t know if I could tell how much in the difference in quality is the machines, or just my increased experience. An advantage for the other prusa clones is that they are very common, so there are 1000s of parts and guides and settings on the webs.

Also, if you convert your MPCNC to a CNC, then you’ll have a CNC… That’s not a small benefit, that’s a big benefit.

In the end, there are no bad options. So many printers that are so inexpensive.

So by regular prusa Are you talking the cheap “clones”?

A real prusa I3 is a freaking amazing machine That has set the curve from the very beginning and has never been anywhere other than #1. If you can That is the only printer I have ever recommended to anyone. The MP3DP meets my needs and was project I had to have for myself. If you need other materials I have been using the throats and nozzles from microswiss on one of mine and it has been amazing for the last 2-3 months. I am going to start selling them in the shop now that they have proven to last/work.

If you are talking about the clones, do not do it. They are pieces of shit. In the beginning to try and save time and ramp up production I bought 2 different ones looking for the better deal. The frames are okay but everything else is junk. To be that cheap they are using the older outdated parts and have obviously been thrown together on a whim. I have never really had a part die on me other than those two machines, control boards, screens, steppers, cracked parts, poorly designed extruder assemblies that would literally fall apart. Worst experience ever. On top of that (I have assembled literally thousands of printers) they were a horrible assembly experience, about 15 different lengths of screws makes is so frustrating to assemble. I wasted so much time and money on those I can not recommend anyone try it. These are why I designed the MP3DP, It was faster to design and build my own than try that again.

Other “name” brand printers are going to be fine as well if one catches your eye but I would honestly call all printers average, and the prusa the best. If you dig deep there really are not many differences, and the specs sheets are extremely exaggerated or just irrelevant. All materials have an ideal temp and speed, resolution is identical between all machines.

I agree with ryan, if you have the money and can wait 7 weeks. Then go with the original. If you need to be in the 400 dollar price range then build the mp3dp. Ita a fantastic machine. You could check out photos in my build thread to see the quality im getting out of my machine. I love how easy it is to adjust the z height.

And its sexy.

1 Like

Buying a Clone isn’t ‘that’ horrible. You just have to know what the issues are with the one you pick and don’t be delusional that, “well maybe mine won’t be that way”. Assume going in to it that any issue anyone has had with that clone will be your issue too.

I went the clone route. I bought one that I knew came with bent rods, so I was prepared to order hardened steel replacements as soon as it came in. Sure enough, I replaced all but one axis (and probably need to replace it too). The electronics are working, but had no extra features (wasn’t even a ramps board). Everything else I’ve replaced has been due to normal wear and tear… and mostly due to my ignorance (not properly securing a stepper cable so that it wiggled back and forth until it broke). I did end up replacing the controller, but that was because of wanting to upgrade not having to.

Alright everybody, thanks for the advice. I think I am just going to go with the mpcnc route cause then at least I get a little milling experience out of it. Up til now I have never really milled anything. Hell, I don’t even own a drill press!