MPCNC add-on DW660 mount with vacuum attachment

This is a remix/addition of the standard DW660 mount by Allted on Thingiverse

to allow the addition of remixed (original files scaled by 84%) vacuum nozzles by Csatti on Thingiverse.

Link to download files and instructions:

Looks good,

How effective is at collecting the fine dust ?
Do you have a video of it running ?

Thanks for sharing.

New link to files. I added a lower bracket that lowers the nozzle tip 3mm, for improved chip removal. Sorry for the link change. I thought I could just add the file to the zip folder in dropbox, but nope.

I will do a video later. Iā€™ve been busy all day designing work holding devices to allow fast and accurate work piece blank change out.

Video

1 Like

Dropbox link is no longer working. Iā€™m interested in trying out this vacuum mount.

1 Like

Use the link in my second post above. I just checked and it works fine.

A few things I have found with use:
-I like the PVC tube longer, maybe 8 inches, and get the thin wall PVC as it is less restrictive.
-I do not like the 45Ā° nozzle in the ā€œoptionalā€ folder, and it only works with the bracket that holds the nozzle higher. I prefer the long tapered nozzle with the thicker lower bracket that keeps the tip of the nozzle closer to the work.
-Some of the larger chips get slung away before the vac can catch them. You are still going to have some clean up. However, dust is darn near 100% sucked up.
-With standard bits that have a depth collar, you can only go 10mm deep if the depth collar is against the nose of the collet.

I tend to prefer dust pickups that donā€™t reduce the hose to a tiny circumference. It makes the vac less effective and louder. I prefer them to be unrestricted. Just my 5 centsā€¦ Iā€™ve also been told that itā€™s not a good idea to connect the hose or drag chain to the Z assembly although it is quite practical, it can induce unwanted movement. For that reason I will be redoing my setup which currently breaks both of these rules. I did have a narrow bore pickup initially, but a large bore (the full ID of the vac hose) works better and quiter. Now Iā€™m up to 10 cents I think. Iā€™ll stop nowā€¦

I can tell you that the pipe diameter IS smaller than I would have preferred, but I am using a rather small shop vac and this actually created MORE suction for me. Also, its certainly not loud by any means. The DW660 rocks the house compared to this. As for being attached to the Z axis, Ive not had any issues but I am using a very flexible hose too.

I have not had any issues related to this setup introducing any machine accuracy problems (wiggle, trembling or tweaking).

Dust was a HUGE problem as it got everywhere in my shop (like on my 3d printerā€™s filament) and this setup -as is- solved that. Iā€™d rate it an ā€œA.ā€
Second in importance for me to dust elimination would be swarf removal when cutting lexan, and Iā€™d rate it a ā€œC+ā€ on that. The nozzle would have to be closer to the cut and that reduces tool depth of cut. Hmmm, maybe some air jetsā€¦

This is a link to a 3d view of a new dust shoe I made for this setup. Available for download right from that page in multiple formatsā€¦gotta love Fusion and A360.

http://a360.co/2mt3v5g

To go with this, I cut the 90 degree nozzle in my slicer to 26.5mm. Hereā€™s a couple photosā€¦

1 Like

Teaser - Air jet built into the bottom of the mount (version 5).

I have installed this and hooked up air. It does direct a strong jet of air at the tool bit. This is why the dust shoe I posted above was made. The intended design has the jet blowing the swarf into the dust show for removal by the vacuum.

Seems like I have hit little bumps all along the way with this. I could call it done, but the position of the 90Ā° fitting is bumping a bearing when my z carriage is all the way up. Had to reposition my end stop and lost a centimeter on z max. So I may change the position a bit to fix this. Iā€™m going to do some test cutting first though just to see if other changes are needed.

Once I am satisfied, Iā€™ll post a fusion link as I did above so anyone can get it, print it, and/or modify it to their own needs.

1 Like

I am using your vacuum setup Tom and I love it. It works very well for me. I will watch your progress here and implement this as soon as your final revision is out.

Tom you are the man! I have finished printing just about everything needed to get this setup minus the sliced 26.5mm piece that needs modified before printed. Is anyone able to cut this down in an stl for me? I am on a laptop that can not run fusion360 and my slicer (xyzware pro) will not allow me to modify the part (that I am aware of). Thanks so much in advance! Keep up the amazing work Tom! I love this design. I literally printed three other designs before this (have yet to hook any up as I never really liked them as much as I did this one).

Neil

I like the look of the latest dust shoe, especially when combined with the air nozzle. What kind of pressure are you running with it? Shop compressor or fish tank bubbler?

1 Like

Neil, I can do an stl of the cut-down nozzle this evening.

Bill, it is currently hooked to 110 psi. I am going to install a valve though because it will do the job with less and my compressor can barely keep up.

Tom,
You mentioned you wanted to change a few things on this design. If you can let us know when you updated the box link, it would be much appreciated. Unless the design on A360 is the change you mentioned?

Thank you

hsb

Hereā€™s the 26.5mm cut down nozzle.

HSB,
Iā€™m not going to use Dropbox for any updates. I wasnā€™t happy that the first link I posted died when I tried to update files in its folder. The A360, which is Autodeskā€™s cloud is directly connected with Fusion360 and Iā€™m just going to provide the Fusion links from now on. I need to get a better understanding of how updates are handled with A360 and Fusion, but Iā€™m under the impression that the links from there will always give you the latest version. I donā€™t do a great job with update tracking. In fact, Iā€™m sloppy. Sorry, Iā€™ll work on that.

The air jet bracket pictured above is at this link http://a360.co/2mDsm44
It will replace the DW660bot1 file in Ryanā€™s original design. The holes have threads modeled into them already. The side hole is 1/8 NPT, which is something like .390-27 ANSI UNS, and the down hole is 5/16-32 - standard Schrader inner-tube threads(and inflation needles). I got a few needles and I am experimenting with cutting them down.
I got the 1/4" polyethylene tubing at Lowes as well as the push-connect elbow and 1/4" MPT adapter so I could connect a standard air hose fitting. Still pondering pressure regulator options.

Iā€™m probably going to move the threaded hole on the side away from the z axis mount in order to clear the bearing. I have a feeling that is going to require that I turn the DW660 in the mount 180Ā° so the air hose doesnā€™t block access to the spindle lock button. Like I said, lots of little bumps in the road.

660_vac_nozzle_26.5mm.zip (215 KB)

1 Like

Tom, itā€™s worth noting that if you put spaces in your filename, A360 truncates to the first space. I noticed and renamed the file before downloading, ā€œ3mm lower dustshoe.stlā€ wanted to download as ā€œ3mmā€. :slight_smile:

Ok, thanks Bill. I really need to get a better grip on best practices in a360. It appears to be very useful.

One thing I noticed as well is the spindle lock button can be rotated inside the head of the dw660. When you have the four screws removed the black ā€˜plateā€™ which it screws into is keyed so the ā€˜buttonā€™ can only be inserted from one direction yet the entire black ā€˜plateā€™ is free to spin any rotation. So you are able to move the lock button to the other side just by moving that plate if that helps anyone out (I had my lock button front facing, then had to move it back to side to allow for your vacuum attachment ;)) Keep up the great work Tom!
Neil