Mpcnc almost complete

hey there, other than printing 4 of the same truck somehow lol, my mpcnc is almost finished, my next question is can i use the BIGTREETECH Octopus V1.1 32bit Control Board for the mpcnc using whatever firmware ryan flashes onto his boards? i want to use the octopus because it would be good for other things in the future.

The SKR Pro board Ryan is currently selling in his store is being discontinued. Ryan is eyeing the Octopus as a replacement board going forward, but he has yet to test that board. Currently V1 does not maintain a version of the firmware for this specific board. You will have some work to do to get it up and running, but I have no doubt it is capable of the job.

1 Like

ok cool, also most boards i see have an x,y,z but not 2 of each so how do i wire the 2 motors for each access to a board that one has 1 plug for x, y , and zero

I’m going to assume you want a dual endstop configuration. In that configuration, each motor gets its own stepper driver, so a board must have at least five drivers to support this configuration. In this configuration, typically the two extruder drivers are used for the second X and Y motor. It is settings in the firmware that tell Marlin to treat the extruder drivers as second axes drivers instead.

If you download a version of the Marlin firmware, you can search in configuration_adv.h for the term “dual”, and you can see some of the defines used to set dual motors for axes. If you go with the Octopus (and therefore need to setup your own firmware), you will likely be best served to start with a version of the firmware maintained by V1 that is the closest match to your board. I’m guessing that will be the SKR Pro firmware.

There is an alternate wiring configuration in which endstops are not available. The two X and two Y motors are wired together in a series configuration, and only the X, Y, and Z plugs are used on the control board. This wiring used to be common, but it is rare now. Everyone seems to want dual endstops to allow the user to automatically square the machine.

yes my buddy said having the ability to square the machine and home it would be a really good feature. which cheaper board just to get this up and running would you suggest, doesnt have to have a screen as i plan on using an old tablet as a screen, but really i would only require 2 endstops wouldnt i?

A cheap solution that is simple to get running is a Ramps 1.4 board. A kit with a screen can be found for around $40 on Amazon. Ramps boards are more delicate than more expensive boards, but many MPCNCs have come across the forum using this board. Even if you plan on using the tablet, I suggest having a screen available is worth the extra $15. There are certain situations were a dedicated screen is helpful. And the Ramps 1.4 is one of the boards V1 maintains firmware for. Note the maintained firmware uses DRV8825 drivers.

As for the tablet, if you want to use it wirelessly, you will need some additional hardware for use with most boards.

i did find this board from an old 3d printer in a box of stuff, do you think i could use that

This is a Ramps board with five drivers, so, if you can figure out how to configure the firmware, it is highly likely this board will work. It is unclear what you would need to do to make it work. If you decide to use this board, and if you don’t get a more complete answer than mine, I suggest you open a new topic asking about firmware for this board. it is possible someone on the forum has already got this board running an MPCN.

I just checked, and this board is one that has been folded into the ongoing Marlin development, so that is a big plus getting the board running.

ill do that thanks a bunch

i highly doubt i will find a printable case for it tho unfortunatly :frowning:

will this board work with the endstops?

This board has six endstop plugs, so it will support dual endstops. As for a case, you might be able to modify a Rambo case. I think the two boards are about the same size. I know you said you were going to use a tablet, but a display is a handy thing to have, and this board supports the same display as V1 uses for the Rambo, and this display is only $15.

This board has hardwired TMC2130 drivers, something you will need to know to set up the firmware.

1 Like