MPCNC Build Complete (until my next good idea)

After doing the finishing this is how my first real project came out. I’m super impressed with the MPCNC (and so are my friends :D). Obviously more tweaking to do because it just isn’t fun without tweaking.

Edit: This was cut into oak; then I randomly cut the edge with a scroll saw then the notches with an angle grinder with sanding wheel. Spray painted it all black. Sanded off the top spray paint and then lacquered the entire thing.

12 Likes

Sign looks great, congrats on the build!

Can you guys imagine what my father may have done with one of these? These were made for my brother and me when I was six. I learned to sand on these beds. My father made two of them and a bunch of furniture for the house those two years when I was six to eight. I hated sanding them but they turned out so nice.

2 Likes

Also back when you could get “dry” and “straight” lumber form the “lumber yard”

2 Likes

Imagine if you had a garage!

2 Likes

Well. That Lumber was taken from 2/4’s out of a government building and glued together then planed all down. It took my father 2 months preparing all the wood. The wood was all free. He had to ask the Admiral of the base (Treasure Island in the San Fran bay) permission to use the wood in the first place. Free is free and Jeff my father was a Hull Tech in the Navy. At the time he ran the base (DIY) hobby shop. Another term we could use is woodshop. We had a 50 yard by 50-yard space. The navy is always overkill. He had every industrial machine in the place. It was an awesome place. I wish I had pics of the place. It was just awesome. Thank you for your kind words. We had a house of handcrafted stuff. I’ll share the most ridiculous thing he made. Horses on rockers. We took them off the rockers though. lol. They ended up as plant holders. My dad loved the outdoors also.

We even had a ceramic DIY shop next door with the same footprint. The shops were in old delivery warehouses the navy abandoned in the '40s on the island. Again this was 1976 so the island property has been privatized so who knows what is on it now.
Now tell me what you really think about that orange carpet. I can not remember if it was a brown or orange. But I have been in so many homes that had the old Green and Orange that I can not remember some of my personal colors. The photos are old and I had Adobe Elements fix the coloring in them. Dad also found other pieces of lumber in those buildings that were larger than 2x4’s if you were wondering hos some of the stuff looks like full pieces of wood. Almost everything in that pic was made by my fathers hands.

1 Like

My grandfather was stationed on Treasure Island, and now I go there all the time! They have a monthly flea market that is insane. Food trucks and lunch on the rocks watching teh boats in the bay…amazing. Unfortunately I do not think you would like it now. It is getting leveled and most of the main base is already gone. The admirals houses in the “hills” are all still there and some of the actually housing is still being used but is getting cleared out quick. It is by far THE most hipster place I have ever seen in my life, 10X more so that San Diego…and those guys wear skinny jeans and beanies to the beach.

4 Likes

HI All, great work Dan, I really like the tft icons and setup. I am building a mpcnc and I am trying to use your firmware for the 2208 in uart mode. Do I have to set the vref on the steppers or are they set out of the box, I am using all bigtreetech parts, mks 1.3 and their uart 2208’s. When I look at your (dan’s) config adv file it shows the x, x1, y, y1 current set to 1080 but the z is set to 1200? Are you using a larger setter motor for your z? and will the 1080 be good for the stepperline 2.0 amp motors ryan suggest in his parts list?

The TMCs don’t necessarily need the vref for 2208 because the board/stepper can control it based on current.

My stepper motors were supposed to be all 1.7A but the company sent one wrong ones thus why some are lower (I have replacements but haven’t wanted to swap them yet). Given the formula in the comments on line 1817 I took the max current for mine and divided it by 1.414 to get the current that should go in there and across the board it should have been 1200 for my 1.7A motors. If you are using 2A max current motors your values should all be 1414 and then the drivers will do the rest.

It is nice not having to set vRef with a screwdriver on the board :slight_smile:

Ok, again big Thanks for all your work. I have it moving now, everything is working good. I just need to figure out how to set my work area and endstops and I will be good to go… I have it moving and it all looks good.

Awesome. A few lessons learned on the end stops:

• Use M119 to make sure each one triggers correctly (otherwise you’ll have to change the true/false in the firmware)
  • When placing the end stops make sure you place them with your router installed. I did mine first without and then it turned out they were too close and caused the router to crash.
2 Likes

How would you edit the TFT35 to use spi with the 5160’s instead of uart? I downloaded the file from https://github.com/BlomsD/MPCNC-TFT35-V2.0

I’m using the TT file for the SKR1.3 with 5160’s in spi. I’m using a TFT28 and bought a TFT35 and would like to figure out where to make changes in the link form Dan (blomsd).

If I hook up the TFT35 to the skr1.3 it won’t move… but works with the tft28.

Thanks

Hi,
silly question. I have an SKR with TMC2208 drivers - all looks ok in Pronterface but Estlcam does not connect.
I used your git (had the default V1 before) - but without success.
So I tried both Estlcam and Marlin as device - but without success. Did you select anything specific in Estlcam?
“GRBL all” is the only other settings that affects this - but everything I find online uses the same…

To use Estlcam as controller requires special firmware for Estlcam (not Marlin) on the board, and I believe only the Atmega 8-bit boards are capable of running the firmware for Estlcam. So your SKR is not capable of being driven by Estlcam directly.

But almost nobody here uses Estlcam as the controller. We generally use Estlcam to generate gcode and then use Pronterface, Repetier Host, Octoprint, or CNC.js to send the gcode to the machine, or load the gcode onto an SD card and run the machine that way.

2 Likes

Jamie is correct. I don’t control with Estlcam. I have controlled with Pronterface and mainly from the LCD screen. I have estlcam and fusion 360 do cam work then I just transfer the SD card down.

Hi Dan,
due the the fact in this period I have a lot of spare time, I started to study your BTT TFT35 2.0 firmware customization in order to align it to the latest BTT Release Vx.x.26.
Unfotunately the firmware baseline that you used to introduce the customizations is not available in github any more and it is difficult for me to make a reverse engineering in order to understand the principles of the modification you did.
Is there any resource available in order to better understand the BTT Firmware architecture or is better to perform a try and error long activity?

Thank you for your support,

Gabriele

7 posts were split to a new topic: Skr & laser?

I did a lot of trial and error. But the main things are so the TFT firmware most of the changes were more “cosmetic”. The SKR firmware for the main board took a bit more editing.

With that said, for the TFT most of the edits are in two main locations:
TFT\User\Menu
TFT\User\API\Language

For languages I mostly edited in language_en.h
I found buttons I didn’t need and changed the language. This was based on what I saw on the different menu screens.

For Menus I edited the following boards:

• Fan.c = this is the “laser” menu
  • Leveling.c = this is the screen for zero’ing everything (Job Setup). This is also a good screen to see how you can have the TFT run gcode commands based on button presses.
  • MainPage.c = the main page. Note I didn’t have it use unified menu.
  • Move.c is used but I don’t think I edited it
  • Printing.c = the page displayed when it use CNCing. I did edits to the menu but also spent awhile trying to get the stop button to convert to a back button upon completion. I probably should have committed that to BTT github. see lines 432 - 440 for an example of how the button function changes (stop vs back) based on what the CNC is doing. Lines 490-501 were modified to change to the back button.
  • Speed.c = I think I modified this to not allow “more” and just go back since we don’t need all the speed stuff for a CNC

In configuration.h I made sure that #define UNIFIED_MENU is commented out as is STATUS_SCREEN so it uses plain menus rather than the complicated ones. The complicated ones didn’t exist when I started and also appear more useful for 3d printing rather than CNC work.

Finally, edit the BMP images to match whatever function you want to use.

Hi there.

I am nearing the end of my build of a standard MPCNC, and I am using the firmware from the original post on this thread! I am running into a little bit of a snag though, and I’m hoping someone can help me figure it out. I’ve been testing axis movements from the touch screen, and my Y and Z axes work great, but the X axis has an issue. When I use the move commands from the TFT, it seems that the second motor on that axis (the one that is hooked into the E1 port) is rotating further than the one wired into the main X port. I have measured to see which one is correct, and found that the original X motor results in the correct travel for the gantry. What I can’t seem to figure out is why the other motor on that axis is behaving so oddly. I’ve even completely disconnected the pulleys to see how they rotate with no load, and the results are the same. Any help would be awesome; I’ve learned a lot about the firmware in the process of getting this far, but I am stuck now.

Thanks!

That must be a wiring issue. Unless you are using a clone mini, than those have a port hat has reversed wiring.