Mpcnc build list

Hi,

Am all new to this, though been using a 3d printer approximately 2 years and these questions have probably all been asked before but…

• I am UK based, is there a distributor in the UK I can buy parts from?

• If not where do I start is there a complete list of parts I can look to buy from somewhere? Would rather support v1 if possible but don’t want to get stung with import duties or anything.

• Initially looking at a machine size of around 60cm60cm cutting area as a start point…ideally I’d like an area of 90cm90cm.

Think that’s it for the initial questions, oh thanks for allowing me onto the forum.

Regards,

Matt

HI
I’m from Kent in the UK and I have just completed the burly version of this as didn’t want to wait for the primo to come out.

I looked at getting the bits from V1 but the costs were too much so sourced all the parts myself.
Controller, drivers, belts and lead screw came from Amazon.
Motors came from Ebay

CEF do 25mm galvanised conduit which seems to have worked well so far.

Nuts,bolts and bearings came from a local hardware supplier.

I will be sending Ryan at V1 a donation shortly as although I didn’t buy the bits from him I feel the design deserves some sort of recognition.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response.

So if you don’t mind me asking what do you think your build cost was? The bearings was the one I was wondering where to get them from.

Any pics of your build?

Regards

Matt

My build cost was give or take £300 + filament. I made a mistake in my reply above the conduit came from CEF (city electrical factors)

I did not need to buy the power supply or wire as these came from work so would need to add this on.
I used the Makita RT0700 router which I got from screwfix.

I don’t have any photos with the router on but here’s a couple from late on in the build.

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve started to print the burly parts just now, see how that goes.

Father-in-law had mentioned CEF, as said we were not sure for the bearings though.

The pics supplied look superb, by the way.

Matt

Just checked and I got the bearings and all nuts and bolts from evoke supplies

Hi,

If your looking for not conduit tubing I used m-machine-metals they are a bit old fashioned in that you have to order by email and pay over the phone, but the prices are pretty good, they should have stock of both 25 & 25.4mm 316/304 SS and seamless tube.

No affiliation, but have used them many times for my mpcnc build and general metal supplies and are always pretty good.

Ok thanks I’ll take a look at them.

What boards are you two running?

I’ve been looking at skr pro but unsure on drivers, also like the duet 2 WiFi (both these boards I am looking to use in my current 3d printer).

Regards

Matt

I’m running an Arduino Mega + ramps board + Drv8825 drivers

Thanks again for the info.

As I get closer to printing everything I’ll no doubt ask many more questions.

Matt

Ordered a skr pro board and 2209 drivers to play with whilst printing everything out.

Just need to look at stepper motors now - are there better options to go for (would rather know from those who’ve built a machine and used it just in case there’s better options).

Matt

These are the motors that I got, seem to do the job.

Ordered the same steppers, once all the electronics turn up it’ll give me something to play with whilst everything is being printed.

Thanks again

Matt

Stepper motors, motherboard skr1.1 pro, and TFT turned up…stepper drivers are on a slow boat from China!

Question I have a efficient pc power supply could this be used to power it all or would I be better sticking to a standard 3d printer power supply - are there any better makes to look out for?

Still busy printing parts out at the mo.

Regards,

Matt

Was looking at this psu https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEDwholesalers-Meanwell-Switching-Constant-Voltage/dp/B007K2H0GI

Or should I look elsewhere?

Matt

Just found I have a 600w ATX power supply, could I use something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronics-Salon-20-pin-Supply-Breakout-Module/dp/B06XMQF4RT/ref=asc_df_B06XMQF4RT/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=255774245728&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1842213112402768050&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046350&hvtargid=pla-381510733354&psc=1

Looks like it’s do what I want.

Matt

Those can be fickle, actually. The trouble is that they expect a lot of current to be drawn, and the little arduino and a few stepper drivers can seem like nothing to them, and they basically turn off unexpectantly. You might be alright, but keep an eye on the PSU. Also, you don’t need the $15 breakout board, you can just use the wires and to turn it on you just have to do short one specific wire to ground (green or purple, I can’t remember, but google knows).

ok thanks for the info, I may run up a test setup whilst my parts print out, just to see how things go.

regards,

Matt

Been a while but the update is I ordered the tube for the build, hopefully pick it up next week.

Going to have a look at programming the board tommorow - never done a skr pro board before only my creality.

Will post back once the tube turns up.

Matt

2 Likes