MPCNC Calibrations & Tests?

With 3D printers you have a variety of tests to hone your system in. Temperature Towers, Stringing Tests, Accuracy tests to name a few. I can see some of these settings going parallel to CNC routing.

Anyone got some recommendations of some tests to run to find your machines capabilities, to fine tune your settings?

I have seen lots of mixed views on cutting depths(Cut Shallow and fast! No, Cut Shallow and Slow! No, Cut Deep and Fast! No, Cut Deep and Slow!). Would like some ideas of how to best go about testing various depths without ruining too many bits, heh. Do I just basically setup multiple 2D pockets with various depths and just have my hand on the Emergency stop button?

I’m only getting started myself, but one thing I’ve been taking advantage of is the feedrate adjustment available via the LCD. I’ve done some tests where I’ve run a bit at a fixed depth of cut and then I can tweak the travel speed up and down to see the effect.

If you don’t have the LCD, then it would depend on how you’re driving the machine, of course.

Oh! I shall have to check that out. Didn’t notice there was a feedrate adjustment. I tried the “Flow rate” which for typical Marlin makes the print go faster. But It seemed to do nothing when I tried it.

You made me curious, so I went to go look. I didn’t see it in the menus this time - I think it may only show up when a print is actually running. I was printing from the SD card, BTW - perhaps that’s relevant.

It definitely seemed to make a difference, although I don’t happen to have video of it.

I would only use the feedrate knob to slow down your cuts, speeding up you could run into acceleration issues.

Start with the milling basics page. It gives some speeds and recommendations to go deeper each time. It does not take long to figure out what works with your build, material, endmill.