MPCNC DPW611 Megamount w/ vacuum + other features..

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share what I have spend the last week or so developing for the MPCNC. It is my solution to mount the DWP611 to the MPCNC, and solves a bunch of problems with that process, and includes a built in vacuum ring for picking up dust and debris. It also features a tri-point expansion mount system, so that other addon features can be bolted to the bottom of the device (such as a dust shoe, etc). Available from thingiverse:

Paul

3 Likes

Nice, and thank you for not mounting a giant rigid tube on the vac mount!

Well, I feel a bit like this last remark was kind of adressed to me (probably among others too), but I can assure you that my shop vac mount works perfectly fine and it made no difference whatsoever in the cut quality. So I’ll wait for actual differences in real life before making any conclusion about which technique is the best :smiley:

Actually on this version of the dust shoe, what I can tell from the pictures is that all the forces are applied on the bottom of the (extremely long) Z axis, at the farthest point which is no different than applying all the forces on the top (understand equally bad at equal distance from the center). So I really don’t see how this would be better in any way, unless he reduces the Z height by quite a lot to make it closer to the center of the gantry.

Nicely designed though, beautiful thing. I particularly like the way you designed the bottom side. But a dust shoe which moves together with the Z axis is really not the best design (I don’t criticize here, mine works on the very same principle). For sure it is ten thousand times better than nothing, but the problem is that is doesn’t work so well during the first passes, when it is not very deep.
If someone could come up with a good system which could be secured directly on the gantry that would be awesome.

It was not directed at you, almost every other mount has a tube. Not trying to offend anyone I am just complimenting this design. I now have a 611, I might have to do a head to head cut job to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Hehe, no worries I was not offended at all (apparently the smileys don’t seem to work on this forum, so my message appears more aggressive than it was intended to be)

I saw the smiley. I think it’s your badass profile pic that makes you seem more serious. ?

This mount looks great. I like that the dust collection is at focused on the outside of the part, so the dust has a chance to slow down before meeting the focused air flow.

I have both an MPCNC and a Lowrider2. I currently use a DWP660 and DWP611 respectively. I recent added a 5W laser to the MPCNC, now I’m thinking of modifying the machine to accept the DWP611. I think this will both allow easier change over between laser and router AND if I make the laser mount as a cylinder the same diameter as the DWP611, the laser and spindle axes will be aligned.

I like this 611 mount, but I think i’d like to try it without the dust shoe and in stead use a removable dust shoe like this one https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2802301 (no dust shoe with the laser).

What CAD program did you use to generate this mount?

Thanks

I’m very interested in what progress has been made with these ideas, if any? I’d love to get a dust shoe for my MPCNC with a 611 printed.

1 Like

I just printed this monster last week. It wasn’t pretty, I took the tool mount for the 3/4" EMT and blended it with this design to get the right spacing. Need to figure out a good way to level the tool face of the router, because currently its tilted in the Y direction and making steps in my spoil board when I make passes on the x axis.

How’s this working out for you?

Haven’t really done much. I need to shim the router to get it to sit parallel to my spoil board, and come up with some sort of dust shoe.

@spencerjw I took a crack at a dust shoe for this today. I think I made it way too stout for what it needs to be. But we’ll see how it works tomorrow after the 10 hour print is done.

If all goes well, I’ll upload it to thingiverse and link the amazon bristles I am using.

Awesome, can’t wait to hear how it does and see it. Thanks!

You can tell I was designing while I had all 4 kiddos running around… I got about 4 hours into the print before realizing I forgot to make openings for things like…the vacuum channel…and THE ROUTER. Lol.

The print time will be MUCH shorter with V2. :joy:

I can’t upload anything to thingiverse yet. I’m in my 24 hour window of creating an account.

1 Like

Been there, done that!

It seems to work, on the surface at least. It was a bear to put together. I made the bristle channel too tight, so it took about 30 minutes to work the bristles in all the way around.

3 Likes

@spencerjw

1 Like