MPCNC in the making in Germany

Dear makers,

dear Ryan,

my name is Armin. I am living in Bassenheim, Germany. I am an electronics engineer. My hobbies are BBQ (extreme!), pressured and none pressured Petroleum/Gas lanterns and since mid of this year 3D printing.

After enough printed benchies, 20mm cubes, groots and other dustcatchers, it as about high time to get more productive with my ender (printer also pimped to the max so no opportunities there anymore). I stumbled over MPCNC, did a quick check on inventory at home and started the project between Christmas and New Year.

I am building a size 60x100x15cm. It will hold a 500w Chinese air cooled 52mm spindle. In the near future, I am also looking for adding a E3D V6 clone (because I still have it), a Roland cutting set and maybe a laser.

Electronics will be a new FYSETC F6 board with DRV8522 in Dual Endstop configuration. Power supply is a 400W PC ATX-type.

At the moment, I am stuck as I am still missing the screw set which is supposed to be shipped today. So maybe, I can finish the machine over the weekend.

Attached, some pics to prove, it’s actually happening! :smiley:

Printed parts:

[attachment file=83195]
[attachment file=83196]
[attachment file=83197]
[attachment file=83198]
[attachment file=83199]
[attachment file=83200]
[attachment file=83201]
[attachment file=83202]

One question I still have: will tool-mounts designed for the 525 tool mount also fit the burly tool mount? I still need to print the mount for the spindle and I am not sure which file to choose. Some of the 525 versions are much more intriguing!

Thanks a lot to Ryan for this awesome and very fun and satisfying to build project!

I keep you posted on further progress!

Cheers

Armin

4 Likes

More parts:

[attachment file=83231]
[attachment file=83232]
[attachment file=83233]

Status without screws atm:

[attachment file=83234]
[attachment file=83235]

4 Likes

Hi and welcome. Those are some nice plates full of parts.

Why is there a nodemcu/esp8266 attached to your F6? I’d like to know what you’re running on the esp. I love that chip.

I just hooked up an F6 to a printer and the X port is messed up. I put in a tmc2130 and its status is all high, not good. Lucky for me there are 6 ports, so I moved it to E2. Otherwise, I like it. I haven’t printed anything yet, but probably today.

Are you running this:

Yes.

First used an Esp-01 but it didn’t like the 5V (always a little gamble with 3.3V devices).

Works great and is probably sufficient. A Pi with Octoprint might be a bit over the top.

Cheers

Armin

1 Like

Regarding your messed up X port: make sure to pull all unused jumpers. My SD wasn’t working because of that!

And use most up-to-date pins.h!

1 Like

Cool. Have you used that esp web ui before? Does it let you flash new firmware to the F6? That would be nice, because the way I am mounting this, it will be a pain to get to the USB in the future.

I think I have the latest pins.h and the jumpers set right. I should probably ping it out, because I suspect a bad socket connection. The pins.h I’m using is from the latest Marlin bugfix-2.0 branch. AFAICT, the only pin difference is the Zmin went to D2 from D9. The schematic shows that D2 is right.

Yes!

The build is pretty big for a first build but other than that you look to be making a fine build!

1 Like

I am going to take over your thread for a minute.

This F6 board has a similar problem with tmc2130s on the Z port. The CS pin needs to be set to the right pin in pins.h and I think the X and Z are wrong, and possibly assigned to bad pin choices. I wanted to keep my Z driver in that spot, because it has the two connectors, but the tmc kept erroring. I tried different things, but I ended up jumpering it to the E1 port’s CS pin and it’s working now.

I also tried registering on their forums, but that went no where. This board might be fine for drv8825s or other drivers, but I really wish I had just used an einsy rambo for the tmc2130 build. Oh well, it’s working now:

[attachment file=84374]

1 Like

Machine ready and running!

While waiting for the screws, I printed a mount for the spindle and designed a vacuumhose-adapter.

[attachment file=84466]
[attachment file=84467]

3(!) weeks after I placed the order, finally my screws arrived. Must have been from a very remote place! It’s called Berlin!

[attachment file=84468]

Thsis triggered immediate fabrication!

[attachment file=84469]
[attachment file=84470]
[attachment file=84471]
[attachment file=84472]
[attachment file=84473]

TBC

3 Likes

More building the machine pics:

[attachment file=84476]
[attachment file=84477]
[attachment file=84478]
[attachment file=84479]

Wiring on the chaos-table!

[attachment file=84480]

Better!

[attachment file=84481]

The crown-test - I would say passed!
[attachment file=84482]

Smoked a primerib in the meantime

[attachment file=84483]

TBC

5 Likes

Nice looking build and result!

Now for some more complex stuff:

[attachment file=84487]

WTF!?

[attachment file=84488]

Ahhh! The missus!
[attachment file=84489]

And tried some jĂĽeg to SVG conversion with the logo of my WLANThermometer (another hobby!).

[attachment file=84490]

ATM, v1pi sis in the making, so stay tuned!

Cheers

Armin

3 Likes

BTW: When I upload several pictures, I get this after submission:

[attachment file=84493]

It’s posted correctly though. Strange…

Can’t wait to see how you pack up and ship my prime rib…I will wait by the mail box until it gets here!

Build looks great.

The error could be a few things but it should have actually limited you to 6 pictures per post…Hmm I will have to look into that.

1 Like

Hi Armin, nice post. I sent you a message about it.
Thank you for sharing. Luca

@Luca

You have PM! :smiley:

Today first milling of my life!

Replaced the pen with the spindle and the vacuum-shoe

[attachment file=84672]
[attachment file=84673]

Ok, for the first mill but as you see, I had no clue what I was doing! I set holding-taps of 0.5mm thickness which were gone immediately! Doing 5mm now!

[attachment file=84674]

Anyway, I did dome clearing and sanding and it didn’t look that bad after all. It should read “Ina”. Stupid font I have choosen!
[attachment file=84675]

OK, unexperienced as I am, I had a too small object with too fine details and a too thick endmill. (3mm)
So I put in a 1mm endmill wich broke almost immediately at 600mm/min.

I put in a 1.6mm, made the program new in ESTLCAM, reduced to veeeery slow 300mm/min and now it runs good. Still milling!

The original idea was to mill “Prinzessin” (princess) in scriptletters but this was no way possible on 8x11cm.

I made a bigger sign and it is prepared in ESTLCAM. Will start the milling in about 30 minutes!

[attachment file=84676]

I definitely have to learn a lot still!

Thanks again @Ryan for this awesome project - it’s real fun!!

Cheers

Armin

1 Like

The princess is happy!

Me too!

[attachment file=84736]

[attachment file=84737]
[attachment file=84738]

Cheers

Armin

3 Likes

How did you vacuum do cleaning up while you cut?

@Mike Pensinger

Vacuum cleaner is attached to the mount as shown. It’s not super effective yet. I am thinking of a mod to direct the suction more towards the spindle.

@all

In the meantime, V1pi is up and running. Webcam is installed and the firmware upload plugin is running as well so I don’t have to rip my machine apart for changes in firmware.

Working pretty nicely!

Cheers

Armin

Â