MPCNC mounted on 4545 Alu profiles?

Hi there,

I have a few 4545 aluminum profiles and I was thinking to mount my entire MPCNC on them instead of screwing it on a working bench/table. Will it add stability? So far I have found only this project which is similar to what I am planning to do:

Does anyone have experience with this?

Any info, thoughts appreciated.

1 Like

Got an e-mail notification because of the linked post. That’s our build in the post. Due to circumstances, the machine is far from finished, but we were still able to run it just fine. We actually have a spoilboard mounted under the profiles, which probably adds some stability, but we’ve built the design so that we could remove the spoilboard and mount/clamp it directly on top of a large workpiece.

I can send you some pics tomorrow if you’d like? Can’t say much about stability compared to other builds, because it’s the only build we have :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Managed to find some old photos.

This was our drawing test, before we had the spoilboard mounted. The 4040 frame is just resting on the kitchen table here, no clamping. The sheet of paper is taped to the table.

And here’s a picture with the spoilboard mounted underneath (and a Kress router):

2 Likes

Hi Robbert! Nice to hear from you! Thanks for the comments and the photos!

Your build on the aluminum profiles looks very neat. Not to mention that it becomes portable. I think I will give it a try since I already have the profiles. I might write here again if I have questions during the process. Also, thanks for making your parts available for downloading!

Best,

S

That is what I have done. I used 1010 series. Seems pretty sturdy.

5 Likes

Nice quarters, a place to feel at home.

The only downside I have found is that it’s difficult to upgrade the size. If you want to make an MPCNC larger (or smaller), you need to replace the conduit. Now you also need to replace aluminum extrusion. Make sure you are happy with your size before getting the extrusion

2 Likes

good point, thanks!

I had not considered aluminum extrusion but now seeing how you have a vise mounted, I think I might go this route with extrusion as the sub-floor below the deck. It seems very versatile to mount a spoil board on top of the extrusion for ordinary wood operation, but with the flexibility to mount anything to the extrusions directly.

Thanks for the inspiration.

1 Like

I get mine from tnutz.com, great price and quick shipping. I have one side 1" and the other 2" wide. The extra inch is room for cable chain of you use that.

You’ll also might want a plate like this ! To help stabilize the feet. https://www.tnutz.com/product/jp-010-h/ (the photo doesn’t show up for me, but it’s the 90 degree joining plate)

2 Likes

After a bit of research this looks the best solution to me so far:
Opening thread on 4x short aluminum profile feet (z axis) from both ends:

Then connect the upper end of the (z) profile to the MPCNC and the lower end perpendicularly to an aluminum profile frame (xy).
This way we can substitute the 3 MPCNC parts of the foot with one Aluminum profile.

Thoughts?