MPCNC Nema 23 Z axis

Yes, that could be it. What kind of controller and drivers do you have? TMC drivers reduce their holding current when they aren’t moving.

But how to set it?

I have an Arduino nano with shield and now an Arduino Uno with DRV8825 driver. So it’s not TMC.

I don’t that is the issue then.

So, I should try using a 24V power supply?

EDIT: Drivers are only for 12V. So I´m still searching for the problem.

Drv8825’s can operate from 8.2 to 45 volts at up to 2.2A.

Have you already tried bringing the max Z speed down to about 2.5mm/s? And did you return the current on that driver to a reasonable level (is it still at 1.2V?)? After that, I would just get a 4 start leadscrew.

Hey Jeff,
I put the voltage back to normal level, about 0.7V.

I also changed some things in Estlcam and its interesting, because now its working. First I changed all G00 commands to G01, than I set the Z rapid (in program settings --> coordinates) to 480. I also changed from circular pocket to normal cut out, pocket.
I think it could also be a problem with the shield/power supply, because when using circular pocket, he is moving all 3 drivers. When using cout out pocket he is using 2 axis maximum.

The motors don’t take a huge amount of current, so you’d have to have a pretty crummy power supply to have it dip with such low current consumption. But if that is the issue, then I can believe skipping steps in Z would be an early symptom. All the high speed problems get worse when the incoming voltage is smaller. Something like 9V vs. 12V makes an enormous difference. 24V has a ton of headroom.

I’m glad it is working. If I were you, I would still adjust the max Z feedrate in the firmware. If you ever get some complicated compound movement with XY and Z, like a 3D carve, the CAM can sometimes goof up and send a higher speed Z move. If you set the limit in the firmware, it should still honor that limit, even on a 3 axis move.